By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Final Fantasy VII Remake can't be GOTY

Is FF VII Remake a complete game and can be nominated as GOTY?

Yes, it's a complete game 36 54.55%

No, it's just an episode 21 31.82%

Something in between 9 13.64%

Total:66
Chrkeller said:

Before attacking somebody blindly you ought to take 5 seconds to understand their stance. I never called the remake incomplete. I never said it wasn't a full game. My stance is the remake is episodic, much like LotR and Star Wars. So great work attacking somebody for a claim they never made.  And the remake is episodic.  Which may (or may not) be a bad thing.  My point is people are awful defensive of the e-word when the e-word is an accurate description.  But but all means keep attacking.

It’s not difficult to understand why the word episodic isn’t exactly the right way to describe FFVII Remake when the word is synonymous in the game industry to how Telltale and Dontnod deliver their games. Which is more similar to anime than movies.

FFVII Remake separates its content like the movies already mentioned earlier, rather than like an anime series. Or if you prefer, the amount of content and features is the same as a conplete game and there will be a resolution by the end of it even though the story will continue to evolve in the next one, which is contrary to what episodic games have done so far.

Around the Network
Hynad said:
Chrkeller said:

Before attacking somebody blindly you ought to take 5 seconds to understand their stance. I never called the remake incomplete. I never said it wasn't a full game. My stance is the remake is episodic, much like LotR and Star Wars. So great work attacking somebody for a claim they never made.  And the remake is episodic.  Which may (or may not) be a bad thing.  My point is people are awful defensive of the e-word when the e-word is an accurate description.  But but all means keep attacking.

It’s not difficult to understand why the word episodic isn’t exactly the right way to describe FFVII Remake when the word is synonymous in the game industry to how Telltale and Dontnod deliver their games. Which is more similar to anime than movies.

FFVII Remake separates its content like the movies already mentioned earlier, rather than like an anime series. Or if you prefer, the amount of content and features is the same as a conplete game and there will be a resolution by the end of it even though the story will continue to evolve in the next one, which is contrary to what episodic games have done so far.

Honestly I don't understand the sensitivity around the e-word.  Star Wars are clearly labeled as episodes and are my all-time favorite movies.  So no, I don't get the problem with calling FFVII for what it is.  Especially when people who are sensitive to the e-word constantly bring up Xenosaga and Star Wars...  both of which are literally labeled as e-words.  

Chrkeller said:
Hynad said:

Honestly I don't understand the sensitivity around the e-word.  Star Wars are clearly labeled as episodes and are my all-time favorite movies.  So no, I don't get the problem with calling FFVII for what it is.  Especially when people who are sensitive to the e-word constantly bring up Xenosaga and Star Wars...  both of which are literally labeled as e-words.  

I literally just explained to you why... 

deskpro2k3 said:
After explaining to you it's not "episodic" you still went ahead with this thread? That's really low.

Not to forget that responser threads aren't allowed in VGC

Hynad said:

Final Fantasy VII Remake is a full game.

What it is not is a full story.

Same as LOTR and Star Wars. Full movies part of trilogies forming complete stories.

I don’t see why FF VII Remake can’t be seen the same by some, other than knowing in advance what the complete story is and their inabilities to dissociate both versions of the story.

Next time we will demand that sequels also don't be nominated GOTY and also that the GOTY of the previous game be revoked since they weren't complete as well and should be considered episodes =p

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Chrkeller said:

Before attacking somebody blindly you ought to take 5 seconds to understand their stance. I never called the remake incomplete. I never said it wasn't a full game. My stance is the remake is episodic, much like LotR and Star Wars. So great work attacking somebody for a claim they never made.  And the remake is episodic.  Which may (or may not) be a bad thing.  My point is people are awful defensive of the e-word when the e-word is an accurate description.  But by all means keep attacking.

Edit

Also you keep insisting I'm treating this as a telltale game.  Dude I've never played a telltale game and have no idea what their games are like.  Lol

So you'll have to consider the original FFVII incomplete and episodic as well, since it got another 2 games giving more details on the story and also there were a lot of content cut from the game.

And the thread is about FFVIIR  being allowed or not to be GOTY and you are siding with the argument of the episodic that is a reason for not being allowed so spare us of "I love other episodic stuff" and address OP.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Hynad said:
Chrkeller said:
I haven't missed any points. You are acting like your opinion is fact. It isn't.

FFVII has a full story with red, yuffie, did and wait. And Vincent. Their stories are not in episode 1 being the full story has been segmented. Sorry Jack, want to talk facts, there you.

I'm off to play Ori.

That’s some crappy logic.

Is Frodo’s story arc done with The Fellowship of the Ring? No.

Is TFOTR still a complete movie? Yes.

Is it a complete story? No.

FF VII Remake is the same. It’s a full game, but not a full story.

Why is it difficult for you to get that in your head? Here’s what I observed: You can’t dissociate both versions of the story.

The first two examples are the remake of the original game too?

"Final Fantasy VII Remake can't be GOTY"

Yes it can, be.

Glad to see 60-80% of pole so far believes that to be true as well.

HoangNhatAnh said:
Hynad said:

That’s some crappy logic.

Is Frodo’s story arc done with The Fellowship of the Ring? No.

Is TFOTR still a complete movie? Yes.

Is it a complete story? No.

FF VII Remake is the same. It’s a full game, but not a full story.

Why is it difficult for you to get that in your head? Here’s what I observed: You can’t dissociate both versions of the story.

The first two examples are the remake of the original game too?

Irrelevant.

Or is it your trouble with english? 

Last edited by Hynad - on 04 April 2020

I voted for yes, and it can be GOTY.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

I can't believe there is so much arguing over this. No it's not the full Final Fantasy VII story. No its not just Midger stretched out. It's a retelling of a section of the Final Fantasy VII story. A damned good one at that, introducing new characters, stories and areas that wouldn't be possible if square did the full remake in one hit. Well of course it would be possible but we would be waiting so long to get it. The initial side quests aren't anything special. But they do get better, one in particular at the start that seemed like just a regular "kill this monster" quest ended up with the monster running away and me having to chase him into a new area that wasn't accessible before. Even in the first slums lots of the areas are only accessible via quests, you can choose to ignore them and continue with the story or do them and open up new areas.

My personal take is, it doesn't feel like Final Fantasy VII but does at the same time if that makes sense. Not to take anything away from it, I've been playing for 3 days straight now and can't put it down. But it definitely feels different from the original. And that's both good and bad. It's hard to explain though haha.