By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Mario Titles to be released on Switch for Mario's 35th Anniversary

Hope this isn't a dumbass April fools thing like the Flip note leak has turned out to be.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Pyro as Bill said:

Usually when people get slower, fatter and find it difficult to walk in a straight line, we call them alcoholics not super.

Here on VGC Mario's agility in 3D games (or rather his lack thereof) was coined the American Fast Food Syndrome.

Isn't Mario much more agile in the 3D games? The poor bastard can only run and jump in SMB, he needed 20 years to learn 2D wall jumps. 3D Mario literally runs circles around 2D Mario.

RolStoppable said:
S.Peelman said:

Isn't Mario much more agile in the 3D games? The poor bastard can only run and jump in SMB, he needed 20 years to learn 2D wall jumps. 3D Mario literally runs circles around 2D Mario.

He isn't. He accelerates slower and his top speed is also lower in the 3D games. There's a reason why you are doing a lot less platforming in the 3D games.

I'll give you the 0-100 instant acceleration.

I don't understand the point of this 'Super' Mario discussion. Continuity is the last thing Nintendo cares about; if this rumour is true then they would re-release the 3D Mario games as SMB without batting an eye.

OT: I'd buy it in a heart beat.

On one hand, I'm dubious.

On the other hand... we're roughly due for a new Paper Mario, Mario Party, and Mario Golf. Super Mario 3D World has yet to see a Switch port. The 25th Anniversary had a port of the 2D Super Mario games to the Wii, and the 30th Anniversary was treated as a year-long event with Super Mario Maker, new amiibo, merchandise, concerts, and so on. And Super Mario Galaxy has already been ported to Nvidia hardware in China, the same type of hardware that the Switch uses.

Even if this rumor were wrong, I can imagine a lot of Mario occurring later in the year.

Even if this ex

Love and tolerate.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
S.Peelman said:

He isn't. He accelerates slower and his top speed is also lower in the 3D games. There's a reason why you are doing a lot less platforming in the 3D games.

No, and I can prove it.

Mario's canon height is 155 cm. In Super Mario World, Mario is 20 pixels tall when short, and 28 pixels tall when tall. This implies that short Mario in Super Mario World is about 110.7 cm tall. This study shows that Mario's running speed is 9.1 Small Mario's per second, which translates to 10.0737 meters per second.

In Super Mario 64, Mario is 161 in-game units tall. His maximum running speed is 48 units per frame. Since there are 30 frames per second in SM64, that's a speed of 1440 units per second, or about 14.957 meters per second.

Love and tolerate.

SKMBlake said:
DélioPT said:

I don't know if this has been said here, but Emily Rogers made a tweet one or two weeks ago on her expectations for Switch this year.
One of those was "it's a good year to be a plumber"
Guess she's right?!

It's the 35th anniversary year of Mario and Nintendo did release something for the 25th anniversary, that was not hard to guess

Nintendo also celebrated the 30th anniversary and nothing big happened.

The "it's a good year to be a plumber" makes more sense with something big happening then something like we have seen before.

DélioPT said:
SKMBlake said:

It's the 35th anniversary year of Mario and Nintendo did release something for the 25th anniversary, that was not hard to guess

Well Mario Maker was the 30th anniversary celebration, a brand new game which can allow you to make your own Super Mario game, that's pretty big to me.

SKMBlake said:
DélioPT said:

Well Mario Maker was the 30th anniversary celebration, a brand new game which can allow you to make your own Super Mario game, that's pretty big to me.

This is like a children's birthday party where you go and the party is that you make your own sandwiches. 

Fallawful said:
SKMBlake said:

This is like a children's birthday party where you go and the party is that you make your own sandwiches. 

Sounds good to me. Kid probably would have made shitty sandwiches anyways. Or bland, generic ones from Subway.