By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Mario Titles to be released on Switch for Mario's 35th Anniversary

trunkswd said:
Pyro as Bill said:
35th Anniversary?
2020-1996 = 24

35th anniversary of Super Mario Bros in the NES

Then why no Super Mario Bros games? Granted, there's only one real one missing from Switch but if you include the portable spinoffs, there's 3 to choose from.

It isn't SM's anniversary, it's SMB's.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
Pyro as Bill said:
35th Anniversary?
2020-1996 = 24

1985 (western release date).  They are starting with Super Mario 64 because they already did a special anniversary promotion for Super Mario 1-3 + World back in 1993.

Nope and nope.

SMBAS was released because NES + SMB1,2,3 were hurting SNES.

They're starting with SM64 because Nintendo knows they have to use SMB to push SM.

trunkswd said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Yeah, I love Miyamoto, but he really has screwed a bunch of stuff up for Nintendo in recent years. Wii U gamepad was his idea right? Starfox on Wii U was a joke because of him. Ditto for Paper Mario. 

It's almost as if people get too old to do their jobs well anymore. I mean, look at how Gunpei Yokoi developed the Ultra Hand, and Gameboy, but then went on to make Virtual Boy. 

It's like people become so successful that nobody dares go against anything they say, and their bad ideas stop being filtered out of the company. Nintendo of Japan really needs to hire a loudmouth American that doesn't give two shits about telling the bosses they are retarded from time to time. I nominate myself. :P

Wii U gamepad was his idea? Yikes. Plus the new Star Fox forcing you to use it in such an awkward way was not a good idea. It should have been more like Star Fox 64 gameplay wise. 

I'm not sure if it was entirely his idea. But I do know that he has vigorously defended it in the past. I think Rol will know for sure though. Wait for his response. 

SpokenTruth said:
Pyro as Bill said:

Nope and nope.

SMBAS was released because NES + SMB1,2,3 were hurting SNES.

They're starting with SM64 because Nintendo knows they have to use SMB to push SM.

Your tin foil hat is on crooked.

And what the hell does this even mean - "They're starting with Super Mario 64 because Nintendo knows they have to use Super Mario Bros to push Super Mario."??

It's SMB's anniversary so that should be a reason to celebrate and release SMB games. Instead they use SMB's anniversary as an excuse to push more of the 3D cr- stuff.

I'm with Rol, both on Mario Galaxy not being able to play as well on Switch as it did on Wii due to control differences, and on Miyamoto being over the hill.

Thankfully, I already own every 3D Mario on their original hardware. I just sincerely hope Nintendo are not going to rely on little more than these games to carry the entire second half of 2020.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Don't you need a sensor bar to do IR aiming?

I'm sure they'll figure it out, I just hope it feels as good as the original games.

Yes, you need a sensor bar, otherwise the IR camera won't have any reference points. But more importantly, you need an IR camera that is pointing towards the screen which the right Joy-Con doesn't have. All you can get on Switch is an inferior motion control replacement which works just like in Skyward Sword. That Zelda game ditched IR aiming for an inexplicable reason and relied on motion controls instead. The result was less responsive aiming with the additional need for frequent recalibrating of the cursor. So if you played Skyward Sword, you know how it will feel on Switch. One button on the controller will be dedictated to recalibration of the cursor and it will have to be used a lot, because motion controls suck for aiming.

Nintendo can either go with a band-aid solution (that's what all three of Vodacixi's suggestions are because all of them are notably inferior to Wii controls) or reprogram all those functionalities. They could give the player a Luma who acts similarly to the dragonfly in Spyro games, meaning the Luma hovers around Mario and picks up starbits in proximity automatically. Furthermore, the Luma could possess simple AI and fly above the heads of nearby enemies to mark them as target, the player merely needs to press the shoot button to hit them or use another button to toggle between nearby enemies if there's more than one. A similar mechanic could be used to collect starbits when Mario flies from one planet to another, the Luma flies towards the starbits and the player must press a button within a second to pick them all up at once.

Sections with blue stars where Mario needs to be shot around similar like a slingshot can easily be done via a button press to grab and then using the analog stick to control the angle and strength of the next shot. The bubble sections are really just moving a cursor around and holding a button to blow, so that's pretty easy to do with a stick and a button, just like many other things in the game. It's merely a question of some effort to adjust things to a different controller.

I do hope a potential port goes with modified controls because the motion aiming in Skyward Sword drove me crazy! I miss IR aiming.

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:

I miss IR aiming.

Me too! It was a revelation on Wii and is still the absolute best method of aiming in my opinion,.

Games like Metroid Prime 3, Sin & Punishment Star Successor, and RE4 Wii Edition played like a dream because of it.

Though I doubt it will happen, my biggest wishlist item for Switch's successor is the return of IR aiming.

RolStoppable said:
SpokenTruth said:

It's still crooked.

Pyro is a nutjob, but that doesn't mean that he can't be right every now and then.

In the year 2020 most gamers understand that 2D Mario and 3D Mario are two different things, so it should raise eyebrows when it's rumored that Nintendo intends to celebrate 35 years of 2D Mario with a compilation of 3D Mario games. Such a compilation would be appropriate to celebrate 25 years of 3D Mario in 2021.

I find that extremely rude. How about we try and be less offensive by using the name Super Mario Bros instead of '2D Mario'.

trunkswd said:

As for Mario 64 I'd love a full remake using the controls from Mario Odyssey, minus the hat mechanics. Take the same levels as before and build on them to make them much larger. So you don't get kicked out of each level for each star collected. 

A SM64 Remake wouldn't take them much time at all. They have all the assets already. A Goomba from Odyssey or Galaxy 2 can be used for SM64 remake. Same goes for Piranha plant, or the Eels, Ghosts, Blocks, etc. Even if all they did was grab a bunch of old assets out of the Galaxy series and repurposed it into a SM64 remake it would be hailed by critics. 

But I doubt Nintendo will do that. Sometimes they just like to leave money on the table. They could have released all their NES and SNES games on Steam/GoG/eShop by now and made a killing. Instead they let their games languish in the defunct Wii and Wii U eShop. 

Don't get too excited. The 25th anniversary was a Super Nintendo game on a disc. We are not getting all 3D Mario games in a compilation.