By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 58.3% Plan To Buy A PS5 VS. 38.5% For XBX, According To IGN Poll

Which Of The Two Will You Be Buying?

PS5 Only 60 59.41%

XBX Only 18 17.82%

Both 8 7.92%

Sticking With Switch 14 13.86%

Sticking With PS4/XBO 1 0.99%

Total:101
thismeintiel said:
RolStoppable said:

So PS is down and Xbox is up.

Way to miss the context. 👍

I am aware of the context. You've been getting worried about the 9th gen lately, so this thread is supposed to be a reassurance party. Just look at your preceding post and how you frame things to fit the narrative that everything will be fine and therefore another generation of PS domination. You described Xbox as firing on all cylinders when that is a phrase used when someone/something is doing well in all relevant aspects; but so far there has only been a specs reveal while game previews, console price and features are still kept under wraps. You deliberately play up Xbox in order to slam it down right afterwards by pointing to this poll where it's losing.

It's beginning to dawn on you that Microsoft may be not handing this upcoming console war to Sony like they did with the Xbox One and that that in turn has a very realistic chance to change the market share of both companies.

By now it should be clear that IGN's readership is PS-biased, so PS winning in a poll isn't necessarily positive. When PS wins by less than before - like it is the case here - then PS is ceding ground to Xbox. You might want to take a look at the Switch number in the poll; Nintendo's console is a global success, but the IGN readership's commitment to Switch exclusivity is very low, lagging far behind even Xbox, let alone PS. That's why you won't be able to derive general sales projections from such a poll, because it's way too biased. What you can judge, however, is the mindshare within that specific community. If PS is winning by less than before, then that's good for Xbox. But this is only an early snapshot because so far there is only clarity on specs, and specs are only one part of a console. Plenty of opportunities remain for both companies to garner positive or negative mindshare in the coming months. So far Microsoft is doing better than last gen, although that's not praise-worthy when the bar for that is so incredibly low. Still, gamers are taking notice.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
thismeintiel said:

Way to miss the context. 👍

I am aware of the context. You've been getting worried about the 9th gen lately, so this thread is supposed to be a reassurance party. Just look at your preceding post and how you frame things to fit the narrative that everything will be fine and therefore another generation of PS domination. You described Xbox as firing on all cylinders when that is a phrase used when someone/something is doing well in all relevant aspects; but so far there has only been a specs reveal while game previews, console price and features are still kept under wraps. You deliberately play up Xbox in order to slam it down right afterwards by pointing to this poll where it's losing.

It's beginning to dawn on you that Microsoft may be not handing this upcoming console war to Sony like they did with the Xbox One and that that in turn has a very realistic chance to change the market share of both companies.

By now it should be clear that IGN's readership is PS-biased, so PS winning in a poll isn't necessarily positive. When PS wins by less than before - like it is the case here - then PS is ceding ground to Xbox. You might want to take a look at the Switch number in the poll; Nintendo's console is a global success, but the IGN readership's commitment to Switch exclusivity is very low, lagging far behind even Xbox, let alone PS. That's why you won't be able to derive general sales projections from such a poll, because it's way too biased. What you can judge, however, is the mindshare within that specific community. If PS is winning by less than before, then that's good for Xbox. But this is only an early snapshot because so far there is only clarity on specs, and specs are only one part of a console. Plenty of opportunities remain for both companies to garner positive or negative mindshare in the coming months. So far Microsoft is doing better than last gen, although that's not praise-worthy when the bar for that is so incredibly low. Still, gamers are taking notice.

BWAHAHAHA!! Worried about next gen.  Oh, boy, that was a good one.  Thanks for the laugh. 

I've seen XSX win multiple twitter polls that had many votes over the last 2 weeks.

thismeintiel said:

BWAHAHAHA!! Worried about next gen.  Oh, boy, that was a good one.  Thanks for the laugh. 

I mean, your posts are in this thread that you yourself made. People can read them. Good chance that they'll conclude, "Yeah, that guy is worried."

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

Is there any reason to doubt Sony after they have delivered 14 years of AAA games after AAA games since the PS3? People buy consoles because of the games. 

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
I've seen XSX win multiple twitter polls that had many votes over the last 2 weeks.

Right, and you dont even bother to link them. 

Drakrami said:
shikamaru317 said:

Was working on it, takes awhile to sift through 2 weeks of twitter, lol. Here is one of them, which had 30k votes:

I remember a 2nd one that had alot of votes that XSX also won, but I'm having trouble finding it now. Here is a 3rd one from yesterday, ran by a Game Informer editor, where PS5 won but by a much smaller margin than the IGN poll:

Drakrami said:
shikamaru317 said:

I think his point was that all these Internet polls are mostly useless. 

Signature goes here!

RolStoppable said:
thismeintiel said:

I mean, your posts are in this thread that you yourself made. People can read them. Good chance that they'll conclude, "Yeah, that guy is worried."

Oh, boy.  You are something else.  Sony has won 3 out of 3 gens when it comes to Xbox vs PS.  But, I guess MS just handed all three of those to Sony, huh? You think this will finally be the one where PS loses?  If so, I'd like to know your thoughts on why that happens. 

I'm not worried.  WW, PS5 will win with what it has always won with, games.  The only question is by how much.  Really, only in the US and UK does MS have a chance at closing the sales gap, maybe even reversing it.  Even if MS does takes both terrotories, this poll helps show it will be a close victory, just like the PS4 enjoyed a close victory this gen.  And whether that WW gap is larger or smaller than last gen, I will still be enjoying those PS exclusives. 

So, again, not worried at all. 

Last edited by thismeintiel - on 30 March 2020

You added the "Whatever's cheapest" votes to the PS5 total? I wasn't aware the prices had been revealed yet.