By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 58.3% Plan To Buy A PS5 VS. 38.5% For XBX, According To IGN Poll

Which Of The Two Will You Be Buying?

PS5 Only 60 59.41%

XBX Only 18 17.82%

Both 8 7.92%

Sticking With Switch 14 13.86%

Sticking With PS4/XBO 1 0.99%

Total:101
RolStoppable said:
thismeintiel said:

BWAHAHAHA!! Worried about next gen.  Oh, boy, that was a good one.  Thanks for the laugh. 

I mean, your posts are in this thread that you yourself made. People can read them. Good chance that they'll conclude, "Yeah, that guy is worried."

Oh, boy.  You are something else.  Sony has won 3 out of 3 gens when it comes to Xbox vs PS.  But, I guess MS just handed all three of those to Sony, huh? You think this will finally be the one where PS loses?  If so, I'd like to know your thoughts on why that happens. 

I'm not worried.  WW, PS5 will win with what it has always won with, games.  The only question is by how much.  Really, only in the US and UK does MS have a chance at closing the sales gap, maybe even reversing it.  Even if MS does takes both terrotories, this poll helps show it will be a close victory, just like the PS4 enjoyed a close victory this gen.  And whether that WW gap is larger or smaller than last gen, I will still be enjoying those PS exclusives. 

So, again, not worried at all. 

Last edited by thismeintiel - on 30 March 2020

Around the Network

You added the "Whatever's cheapest" votes to the PS5 total? I wasn't aware the prices had been revealed yet.

RolStoppable said:
Immersiveunreality said:

And those 2 sites do not represent the average gamer,do most of PS European marketbase ever come close to a gaming website?

That's not relevant for this thread. The point of this thread is to show that the recent negativity concerning the PS5 is overblown and Sony's still doing well in mindshare and purchase intent. But whenever one is looking at numbers, one must think about how numbers were compiled in order to understand what they really mean, hence my post. What one can judge from an IGN poll is the consensus of IGN's readership and in order to gauge if and how much mindshare Sony has lost among IGN visitors, one needs to compare this poll to previously conducted similar polls on IGN.

My point is that a PS lead in this poll may look positive on the surface, but that isn't necessarily true because it's possible that PS used to have a larger lead on IGN in the past. But that's for someone else to research. I was merely pointing out the flawed logic of the OP.

You did the same as i did and there are more ways than one to point out a flawed OP.

I could have not involved you with a quotation but i thought it served well as an addition on what you commented,what is relevant for a thread are all opinions as long as they do not dissolve the purpose of said thread if that same thread acts within the guidelines of the forum rules.

So i understand you,was not doubting what you said only agreeing and adding to it.

StarDoor said:
You added the "Whatever's cheapest" votes to the PS5 total? I wasn't aware the prices had been revealed yet.

Educated guess.  PS5's BOM has been estimated to be lower than the XBX's.  Sony has proven in the past they are willing to take a deep loss on HW if it is deemed important/necessary.  I think it will be this coming gen.  Granted it won't be anything like the $200 loss on the PS3, but I do expect anywhere from a $50 loss to a $100 one.  MS, on the other hand, have proven they are not interested in losing money on HW.  $499 at launch for both of their consoles.  Even when an immediate cut to $399 would have helped them, they waited til they could break even, maybe even make a small profit, almost 7 months after launch before they cut Kinect loose and did so.  Their main focus going forward now is also streaming, not pushing HW at a loss.

Of course, if the 2.2% is really that important to you, you can subtract it and make it 56.1% vs 38.5%.

RolStoppable said:
shikamaru317 said:

Especially considering the rumors that MS is planning a cheaper console called Xbox Series S. 

Yeah, that guy is worried. Going for those 2.2%.

How about we actually start adding to the thread instead of turning it to shit by weakly attacking me?  Can you do that?  If not, please kindly step out.

Around the Network

IGN has always had a very small Xbox community. Even in the 360’s prime the forums and comments were not nearly as active as Nintendo or Sony. It’s surprising that Xbox is up as much compared to past polls, but not surprising it didn’t beat out PS5.

Is there any site that prefers Xbox over PS in their community? People keep saying that IGN specifically are Sony fanboys but does the trend really differ online when Sony is the bigger global gaming brand?

Wow, just barely started the thread and OP is already being called a reactionary fanboy.

question, is there a site that could not be considered PS biased if such poll where made and PS won that to? Cuz if you ask me, going by 3 straight gens of PS domination with 7th the xbox wining only the US, I would bet preety much any site you go to would show similar outcomes. Mainly cuz we at the moment are at a stage where the PS4 is the #1 worldwide item and is at the moment the one with the most fans.

Truth is both companies have shown very little, sony the least. So its not enough to switch any fan over yet. Untill we get a full reveal with games people will probably just vote what they currently prefer.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

JRPGfan said:
Jranation said:
IGN has many Sony fan boys than Microsoft. Not surprised.

Shadow1980 said:
What's the usual PS/XB split between IGN users? Where are the respondents from? This seems more representative of a worldwide audience, but if it's primarily a U.S./NA audience, then the vote is skewed in favor of PlayStation.

We know from NPD data that the split in the U.S. is about 54% PS4/46% XBO, a much more even split. Based on what little we know the XBO is between 45-50M worldwide, and we know the PS4 has sold 106M WW as of the end of 2019, so in terms of WW sales the PS4/XBO split is 68-70% PS4/30-32%

Jranation, why would you say that, when their "votes" almost reflect actual console sales in NPD in the US?
54% vs 58%, isnt a gigantic differnce.

Also I bet if theres again another gen, with a 100$ price differnce between the two consoles (in sony favor),
you ll see a gen much like the last one in terms of sales.

d21lewis said:

I'm kinda with you. I look at games like a Gears 5, Resident Evil 3, and Final Fantasy VII and I wonder if we even need new hardware right now. Especially if the Xbox One X will run a version of Xbox SX titles. What's the rush?

Honestly feel the same way. The graphics Sony does on exclusives is still wow worthy to me.
If more devs put in more effort, overall games could still look better, without the need for new hardware.

Also so many devs, just leave all that on the table.... what good is more powerfull hardware, if your makeing indie games? or 2D low res pixelated ones?

Just hop on their social media (IGN website and FB page) you can see how much Sony fanboys are on there. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

shikamaru317 said:
Blood_Tears said:
Is there any site that prefers Xbox over PS in their community? People keep saying that IGN specifically are Sony fanboys but does the trend really differ online when Sony is the bigger global gaming brand?

I don't know if there are any gaming sites where the Xbox community is larger than the Sony community, especially after this past gen where MS shot themselves in the foot, which caused them to bleed some fans over to Sony with PS4. But, there are definitely sites with strong Xbox communities and IGN is not one of them. This twitter poll by a Game Informer editor suggests that Game Informer has a stronger Xbox fanbase than IGN at least:

I've heard that Gamespot has a pretty strong Xbox community as well, though I'm not sure how true that is.

I had no idea Game Informer had such a strong community for Xbox so that's pretty good. Although that also speaks volumes on how big Sony's presence is when they completely screw up the messaging or have no messaging at all and people still want to buy the product. But yes I see your point. 

I don't think I have visited Gamespot in almost a decade so I have no idea about that community either. I do remember back in the X360 era Ryan Mccaffrey of IGN had a dedicated Xbox podcast that was quite popular as well. But yeah you're right that they did bleed fans over to Sony this gen. It will be interesting to see these type of polls as we get closer to release when messaging, ads and hype start ramping up.