By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 58.3% Plan To Buy A PS5 VS. 38.5% For XBX, According To IGN Poll

Which Of The Two Will You Be Buying?

PS5 Only 60 59.41%

XBX Only 18 17.82%

Both 8 7.92%

Sticking With Switch 14 13.86%

Sticking With PS4/XBO 1 0.99%

Total:101

IGN released a video a couple of days ago that contained the results of a poll they put out after both spec reveals of the consoles.  The poll shows that nearly 60% of people plan on buying a PS5, with a whopping 43.3% saying they will buy the PS5 exclusively.  XBX got nearly 40% of the vote, but only 25.7% saying they will buy it exclusively. 

There are some things I find interesting about this poll.  For one, Sony has been the most silent about their system, whereas MS has been talking heavily about it, even showing demos running on the HW and the actual console.  Many have been saying that Sony is "fumbling" the messaging with not only its silence, but also with the way they chose to reveal the info they have revealed.  This stands in stark contrast to MS, who many believe have been hitting their messaging out of the park. This, however, seems to not have changed things much.

Secondly, some people have made it out that the ~18% difference in GPU power is insurmountable and will put PS5 a big disadvantage when it comes to 3rd party multiplats.  It seems pushing this false narrative everywhere hasn't really hurt the PS5's appeal. 

And finally, and maybe more importantly, one may think that of course the PS5 will have the larger number, as it is the largest when it comes to WW brand power.  The only problem with that is that IGN's traffic skews very heavily towards the US.  These are mainly going to be US gamers answering this poll.  It will be interesting to compare this polls results with actual sales in NA.

Thoughts?  Which do you plan on buying?

Last edited by thismeintiel - on 30 March 2020

Around the Network

Coming off a gen that Sony dominated, and MS game output was mostly lackluster, those results are actually pretty good for Xbox.

IGN has many Sony fan boys than Microsoft. Not surprised.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

RolStoppable said:

As far as I know, Gamespot is the major go-to website for Xbox gamers while IGN's visitors skew towards PS, so primarily US traffic doesn't automatically translate to an Xbox bias in the sample. You'd have to look at previous PS vs. Xbox polls of any kind on IGN in order to determine the bias in the sample because console sales aren't going to work.

If you then found out that, for example, a 70:30 ratio in favor of PS is the norm, then this current poll would show a loss in mindshare for PS. Conversely, if the usual ratio is 50:50, then the current poll would show an increase in mindshare for PS.

And those 2 sites do not represent the average gamer,do most of PS European marketbase ever come close to a gaming website?

Looks like Microsoft has a heck of Battle for the hearts of consumes.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

As far as I know, Gamespot is the major go-to website for Xbox gamers while IGN's visitors skew towards PS, so primarily US traffic doesn't automatically translate to an Xbox bias in the sample. You'd have to look at previous PS vs. Xbox polls of any kind on IGN in order to determine the bias in the sample because console sales aren't going to work.

If you then found out that, for example, a 70:30 ratio in favor of PS is the norm, then this current poll would show a loss in mindshare for PS. Conversely, if the usual ratio is 50:50, then the current poll would show an increase in mindshare for PS.

I saw two early IGN polls showing PS4 vs XBO.  But, there is no way to compare them really.  The first one had PS4 at 74.8%.  It was released before they launched and occurred around E3, when many gamers, including some Xbox diehards, were revolting against the Xbox brand with its DRM and focus on TV.  The second was taken shortly after launch, without XBO's DRM, but it was still the weaker HW and cost $100 more.  PS4 dropped to 68% in that poll. 

In this poll, we have Xbox firing on all cylinders.  It has the more powerful HW and according to many, it has been on point with its messaging and reveal.  Sony, on the other hand, has the slightly weaker HW and according to many, hasn't been very good with its messaging and reveal.  Still, the PS5 is winning the poll easily.

I picked sticking with PS4/XBO... I'll eventually get one (or both), but probably not for 1-2 years after release, and then it will depend on which either plays better (individual specs can be misleading) or has more interesting exclusives. Of course a launch title could change my mind, but I haven't been that exited about a new title in a long time...

Angelus said:
Coming off a gen that Sony dominated, and MS game output was mostly lackluster, those results are actually pretty good for Xbox.

Sony didn't exactly dominate the US, though.  PS4 has only a 5M-6M lead in the US.  If this poll holds true, then it looks like a similar result this coming gen.

With this difference on USA centric publication when we look at full WW scenario PS5 will dominate as expected.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

thismeintiel said:
RolStoppable said:

I saw two early IGN polls showing PS4 vs XBO.  But, there is no way to compare them really.  The first one had PS4 at 74.8%.  It was released before they launched and occurred around E3, when many gamers, including some Xbox diehards, were revolting against the Xbox brand with its DRM and focus on TV.  The second was taken shortly after launch, without XBO's DRM, but it was still the weaker HW and cost $100 more.  PS4 dropped to 68% in that poll. 

In this poll, we have Xbox firing on all cylinders.  It has the more powerful HW and according to many, it has been on point with its messaging and reveal.  Sony, on the other hand, has the slightly weaker HW and according to many, hasn't been very good with its messaging and reveal.  Still, the PS5 is winning the poll easily.

So I guess we can safely conclude that IGN polls aren't anywhere near reliable when trying to determine future sales of consoles since both their polls on the 8th generation of consoles were really off the mark.

Last edited by TruckOSaurus - on 30 March 2020

Signature goes here!