By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 58.3% Plan To Buy A PS5 VS. 38.5% For XBX, According To IGN Poll

Which Of The Two Will You Be Buying?

PS5 Only 60 59.41%

XBX Only 18 17.82%

Both 8 7.92%

Sticking With Switch 14 13.86%

Sticking With PS4/XBO 1 0.99%

Total:101
Blood_Tears said:
shikamaru317 said:

I don't know if there are any gaming sites where the Xbox community is larger than the Sony community, especially after this past gen where MS shot themselves in the foot, which caused them to bleed some fans over to Sony with PS4. But, there are definitely sites with strong Xbox communities and IGN is not one of them. This twitter poll by a Game Informer editor suggests that Game Informer has a stronger Xbox fanbase than IGN at least:

I've heard that Gamespot has a pretty strong Xbox community as well, though I'm not sure how true that is.

I had no idea Game Informer had such a strong community for Xbox so that's pretty good. Although that also speaks volumes on how big Sony's presence is when they completely screw up the messaging or have no messaging at all and people still want to buy the product. But yes I see your point. 

I don't think I have visited Gamespot in almost a decade so I have no idea about that community either. I do remember back in the X360 era Ryan Mccaffrey of IGN had a dedicated Xbox podcast that was quite popular as well. But yeah you're right that they did bleed fans over to Sony this gen. It will be interesting to see these type of polls as we get closer to release when messaging, ads and hype start ramping up.

I think it would probably be more accurate to say Sony won many of their fans back.  Sony really fucked up the PS3 launch.  And it wasn't with policies that could easily be reversed.  Or a price gap that was gone in less than a year.  It was with a complicated architecture that was hard to develop on, leading to weaker multiplats for the first year or two and, more importantly, a $200 price gap between the PS3 and 360. 

I mean, a $200 price gap and games were looking better on the 360, it's no wonder many switched.  This gen, it wasn't so much MS screwing up, though that didn't help, but Sony coming back big.  And they didn't just start with the PS4, like MS is doing with the XBX.  They started in 2009, with the PS3, trying earn those fans back.  They pushed it hard once they hit $299.  And released great game after great game.  This pushed them onto a repeat of their PS1/PS2 glory days with the PS4.  I see it continuing with the PS5, as well.

Around the Network

If I had to pick between the two right now, I would probably pick the ps5 as well even though I think the xsx is going to be the better hardware. The reason for that is Sony has spent this gen making themselves a leader in software production, and Microsoft has spent this gen regressing substantially software wise. Microsoft has obviously been investing in that... but until I see results, I feel like Sony is the safer bet at the moment. Of course, I will buy them both at some point, but for those that only buy one... this gen has not been favorable to Microsoft and they haven’t really been building momentum either like they did going from Xbox to 360. Next gen is Sony’s to lose.

How is that even possible with Xbox's amazing marketing and Sony's total screwup?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Blood_Tears said:
Is there any site that prefers Xbox over PS in their community? People keep saying that IGN specifically are Sony fanboys but does the trend really differ online when Sony is the bigger global gaming brand?

I could think of some places.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

The poll shows that sony has lost fans on that site, rather than positive is negative for sony on IGN.

34 years playing games.

Around the Network
vivster said:
How is that even possible with Xbox's amazing marketing and Sony's total screwup?

One would wonder after all those threads of Sony fucking up

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Gonna be a whore for Microsoft until the day I die bois... come on.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Shadow1980 said:
What's the usual PS/XB split between IGN users? Where are the respondents from? This seems more representative of a worldwide audience, but if it's primarily a U.S./NA audience, then the vote is skewed in favor of PlayStation.

We know from NPD data that the split in the U.S. is about 54% PS4/46% XBO, a much more even split. Based on what little we know the XBO is between 45-50M worldwide, and we know the PS4 has sold 106M WW as of the end of 2019, so in terms of WW sales the PS4/XBO split is 68-70% PS4/30-32%

63- 33 PS4 to XBO in 2013.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/20/which-next-gen-consoles-and-games-are-ign-readers-buying

Given the market gap this gen I like those percentages. Good starting base to build on. I know MS has a lot to prove but I think their E3 direct will change certain perceptions

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

vivster said:

New gens dont mean a "clean slate".
People remember back a gen or two, and judge based on many other factors, than just the value of hardware in a console.

Basically a console is more than the hardware.
If it was just "best performance pr $", switch would be a rather bad product.

Thing is, most gamers care more about the games a system has, than its power.
PS4 came off of a gen, doing rather well with its exclusives, while the oppersite is basically true for Xbox.

Thats bound to effect numbers.
Also playstation was always a bigger brand name, than xbox.

XSX+PS5 will both be near 100% BC, with previous gen titles, so it makes sense that beacuse so many more have playstations, they'd want to continue forwards with that in the next console.