By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 58.3% Plan To Buy A PS5 VS. 38.5% For XBX, According To IGN Poll

Which Of The Two Will You Be Buying?

PS5 Only 60 59.41%

XBX Only 18 17.82%

Both 8 7.92%

Sticking With Switch 14 13.86%

Sticking With PS4/XBO 1 0.99%

Total:101

I vastly pref. the playstation ecosystem and games.

Do I think Xbox marketed their console better than sony so far? Yes.
Will that change my purchaseing choices in the future? nope.

Also I believe Sony when designing the PS5, went for a smaller cost option, than Xbox.

This will be like PS4 pro vs Xbox series X, in terms of price.
PS4pro launched at 399$.
Xbox one X launched at 499$.

^ this is likely going to repeat, next gen.

Just like base models of PS4 vs XB1, where there was a 100$ price differnce.

Does price matter? yes.
Does 15% more powerfull GPU matter? yes, but not as much as price.

Around the Network

Remember when people used to say "Xbox only does well in America because it's an American console" or "Xbox does well because Microsoft spent so much on marketing"?

Yeah. Turns out that was just a bunch of hooey! HOOEY, I SAY!! But I imagine, with a bunch of good press, good hardware, and most importantly, consistently good software, this gen could be interesting. Especially with the emphasis on performance we have these days. 2/3 of previous generations, the Xbox has been the console for the best version of multiplats (3/3 if you count the Xbox One X). They need to play to their strengths.

As usual, you don't bet against Sony but I'm expecting Microsoft to put up more of a fight. Right now Microsoft has to overcome the image that the Xbox One has compared to the PS4.

jlauro said:
I picked sticking with PS4/XBO... I'll eventually get one (or both), but probably not for 1-2 years after release, and then it will depend on which either plays better (individual specs can be misleading) or has more interesting exclusives. Of course a launch title could change my mind, but I haven't been that exited about a new title in a long time...

I'm kinda with you. I look at games like a Gears 5, Resident Evil 3, and Final Fantasy VII and I wonder if we even need new hardware right now. Especially if the Xbox One X will run a version of Xbox SX titles. What's the rush?

TruckOSaurus said:
thismeintiel said:

I saw two early IGN polls showing PS4 vs XBO.  But, there is no way to compare them really.  The first one had PS4 at 74.8%.  It was released before they launched and occurred around E3, when many gamers, including some Xbox diehards, were revolting against the Xbox brand with its DRM and focus on TV.  The second was taken shortly after launch, without XBO's DRM, but it was still the weaker HW and cost $100 more.  PS4 dropped to 68% in that poll. 

In this poll, we have Xbox firing on all cylinders.  It has the more powerful HW and according to many, it has been on point with its messaging and reveal.  Sony, on the other hand, has the slightly weaker HW and according to many, hasn't been very good with its messaging and reveal.  Still, the PS5 is winning the poll easily.

So I guess we can safely conclude that IGN polls aren't anywhere near reliable when trying to determine future sales of consoles since both their polls on the 8th generation of consoles were really off the mark.

Can't exactly predict sales by using a couple snapshots in time.  What do you think sales would have been if the DRM stayed?  Or if XBO stayed $100 more expensive than the PS4?  I think a 65%-70% split in the US would have been extremely accurate had those situations remained the same.  Here, we have everything seemingly going in the Xbox's favor, yet it still lost.

Jranation said:
IGN has many Sony fan boys than Microsoft. Not surprised.

Shadow1980 said:
What's the usual PS/XB split between IGN users? Where are the respondents from? This seems more representative of a worldwide audience, but if it's primarily a U.S./NA audience, then the vote is skewed in favor of PlayStation.

We know from NPD data that the split in the U.S. is about 54% PS4/46% XBO, a much more even split. Based on what little we know the XBO is between 45-50M worldwide, and we know the PS4 has sold 106M WW as of the end of 2019, so in terms of WW sales the PS4/XBO split is 68-70% PS4/30-32%

Jranation, why would you say that, when their "votes" almost reflect actual console sales in NPD in the US?
54% vs 58%, isnt a gigantic differnce.

Also I bet if theres again another gen, with a 100$ price differnce between the two consoles (in sony favor),
you ll see a gen much like the last one in terms of sales.

d21lewis said:
jlauro said:
I picked sticking with PS4/XBO... I'll eventually get one (or both), but probably not for 1-2 years after release, and then it will depend on which either plays better (individual specs can be misleading) or has more interesting exclusives. Of course a launch title could change my mind, but I haven't been that exited about a new title in a long time...

I'm kinda with you. I look at games like a Gears 5, Resident Evil 3, and Final Fantasy VII and I wonder if we even need new hardware right now. Especially if the Xbox One X will run a version of Xbox SX titles. What's the rush?

Honestly feel the same way. The graphics Sony does on exclusives is still wow worthy to me.
If more devs put in more effort, overall games could still look better, without the need for new hardware.

Also so many devs, just leave all that on the table.... what good is more powerfull hardware, if your makeing indie games? or 2D low res pixelated ones?

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 30 March 2020

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
thismeintiel said:

I saw two early IGN polls showing PS4 vs XBO.  But, there is no way to compare them really.  The first one had PS4 at 74.8%.  It was released before they launched and occurred around E3, when many gamers, including some Xbox diehards, were revolting against the Xbox brand with its DRM and focus on TV.  The second was taken shortly after launch, without XBO's DRM, but it was still the weaker HW and cost $100 more.  PS4 dropped to 68% in that poll. 

In this poll, we have Xbox firing on all cylinders.  It has the more powerful HW and according to many, it has been on point with its messaging and reveal.  Sony, on the other hand, has the slightly weaker HW and according to many, hasn't been very good with its messaging and reveal.  Still, the PS5 is winning the poll easily.

So PS is down and Xbox is up.

Way to miss the context. 👍

RolStoppable said:
thismeintiel said:

Way to miss the context. 👍

I am aware of the context. You've been getting worried about the 9th gen lately, so this thread is supposed to be a reassurance party. Just look at your preceding post and how you frame things to fit the narrative that everything will be fine and therefore another generation of PS domination. You described Xbox as firing on all cylinders when that is a phrase used when someone/something is doing well in all relevant aspects; but so far there has only been a specs reveal while game previews, console price and features are still kept under wraps. You deliberately play up Xbox in order to slam it down right afterwards by pointing to this poll where it's losing.

It's beginning to dawn on you that Microsoft may be not handing this upcoming console war to Sony like they did with the Xbox One and that that in turn has a very realistic chance to change the market share of both companies.

By now it should be clear that IGN's readership is PS-biased, so PS winning in a poll isn't necessarily positive. When PS wins by less than before - like it is the case here - then PS is ceding ground to Xbox. You might want to take a look at the Switch number in the poll; Nintendo's console is a global success, but the IGN readership's commitment to Switch exclusivity is very low, lagging far behind even Xbox, let alone PS. That's why you won't be able to derive general sales projections from such a poll, because it's way too biased. What you can judge, however, is the mindshare within that specific community. If PS is winning by less than before, then that's good for Xbox. But this is only an early snapshot because so far there is only clarity on specs, and specs are only one part of a console. Plenty of opportunities remain for both companies to garner positive or negative mindshare in the coming months. So far Microsoft is doing better than last gen, although that's not praise-worthy when the bar for that is so incredibly low. Still, gamers are taking notice.

BWAHAHAHA!! Worried about next gen.  Oh, boy, that was a good one.  Thanks for the laugh. 

Is there any reason to doubt Sony after they have delivered 14 years of AAA games after AAA games since the PS3? People buy consoles because of the games. 

shikamaru317 said:
I've seen XSX win multiple twitter polls that had many votes over the last 2 weeks.

Right, and you dont even bother to link them. 

Drakrami said:
shikamaru317 said:
I've seen XSX win multiple twitter polls that had many votes over the last 2 weeks.

Right, and you dont even bother to link them. 

I think his point was that all these Internet polls are mostly useless. 

Signature goes here!