By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - NX Gamer PS5 Full Spec Analysis

Intrinsic said:
Azzanation said:

I think a lot of people underestimate the power factor of a console. Power doesn't technically make a console the best selling in its generation however its a huge boost to the marketing, which has a huge potential to boost sales if done right. Lets not forget that the common gamer also plays 3rd party games. The PS4 outsold the XB1 based on its price and power difference at launch. So having the power does help leverage some customers just in itself. You have enthusiasts, hardcores, and even those that just want to have the best console experience for a game like COD or GTA etc. 

Also what makes up a Software line up is the 3rd party games. Of course throw in 1st party exclusives however with the way next gen is going, all consoles are going to have there exclusives that the other console brand wont have. This is where power and price can also be a edge factor in a sale. Why game in 900p when you can play the game in 1080p for the same price. I believe that's why both Sony and MS are playing the waiting game on price. Whoever has both the price and power advantage will dominate launch. However its hard to see 1 brand having both advantages this time around.

Power is all well and good but is nothing compared to prie.

If MS is coming in at $499, they better hope and pray sony is also coming in at the same price. A $399 P5 vs a $499 XSX would be very bd forMS. At that point, you would see how hard it is to show an 18% power advantage and equate that to a $100 more expensive console.

And again...this is not a 1080p vs 900p (40% difference) or a 4K vs 1440p (100%+ difference) type argument. This is a 4K vs 2052p (18% difference) to a 4K vs  1900p ( 24% difference) type thing. We are talking about a rez floor and ceiling that would be impossible to tell apart by over 90% of the gaming audience.

You are putting too much stock into resolutions and their significance. How much good did the XB1X do for MS with all its power over the PS4?

Price is very important, however the same can be said the other way around, if the X is $489 and the PS5 is $499 than the same result will apply.

I never said the gap was 40% different, I just used an example of how gamers view marketing. You might think, its only 18% different (On paper) however marketing isn't going to say "Console A is 18% more powerful than the Console B" it will grant slogans like "Console A is the MOST powerful console in the world!" even if its just 2% more powerful, they are entitled to use that term of marketing which will help favour in sales. If the companies can supply a good demand of games, deliver on friendly customer practices and services with great deals, having the power edge is icing on the cake.

Also there is a lot more to it than just 18% more power, some are saying the Velocity architecture, BCpack, better implementation of Raytracing is in favour of the X as well as being easier to program for. Also add whatever advantages Direct X 12 Ultimate brings to the table. Top that off with faster Ram, a superior CPU and GPU makes that 18% number a lot more powerful than it shows. 

^ Again its all speculation and rumours at the moment so don't take that as gospel just yet, I am just giving examples.

EDITED: The X1X is still a X1, a superior console to the PRO however the hardware wasn't the defining factor to why it didn't set the sale records on fire. The X was too late to the party without a lot of games to show for it due to the restructuring of the Xbox brand. It was a midgen refresh that happen years later. Cannot compare to a launch console, very different circumstances. 

Last edited by Azzanation - on 02 April 2020

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:
Soooo to prevent an endless cycle of fan bickering about specs for the next 6 months which is all speculative....spec thread topic outlaw?

Don't see the mods forbiding it, as long as people stay civil there is no need for it. And for the ones that are incapable of being civil they will ban the people instead of the subject =]

With E3 and other events going by the wayside, we need the bickering over snippets of news for traffic. Gaming sites like these thrive on events and conventions.

I heard that Sales stared a rumour about you. You should ask them about it.

Azzanation said:
EricHiggin said:

I'm not saying that when DF goes to compare third party games against both, that the analysis and results will be identical. There will be differences when you get more technical about it, but to the common console gamer, those differences are likely to minor enough for the first while that it won't make a difference to them. What will matter much more than that is the price of each console and it's software line up. Results will weigh more heavily for the hardcore spec heads though.

I think a lot of people underestimate the power factor of a console. Power doesn't technically make a console the best selling in its generation however its a huge boost to the marketing, which has a huge potential to boost sales if done right. Lets not forget that the common gamer also plays 3rd party games. The PS4 outsold the XB1 based on its price and power difference at launch. So having the power does help leverage some customers just in itself. You have enthusiasts, hardcores, and even those that just want to have the best console experience for a game like COD or GTA etc. 

Also what makes up a Software line up is the 3rd party games. Of course throw in 1st party exclusives however with the way next gen is going, all consoles are going to have there exclusives that the other console brand wont have. This is where power and price can also be a edge factor in a sale. Why game in 900p when you can play the game in 1080p for the same price. I believe that's why both Sony and MS are playing the waiting game on price. Whoever has both the price and power advantage will dominate launch. However its hard to see 1 brand having both advantages this time around.

Azzanation said:
Intrinsic said:

Power is all well and good but is nothing compared to prie.

If MS is coming in at $499, they better hope and pray sony is also coming in at the same price. A $399 P5 vs a $499 XSX would be very bd forMS. At that point, you would see how hard it is to show an 18% power advantage and equate that to a $100 more expensive console.

And again...this is not a 1080p vs 900p (40% difference) or a 4K vs 1440p (100%+ difference) type argument. This is a 4K vs 2052p (18% difference) to a 4K vs  1900p ( 24% difference) type thing. We are talking about a rez floor and ceiling that would be impossible to tell apart by over 90% of the gaming audience.

You are putting too much stock into resolutions and their significance. How much good did the XB1X do for MS with all its power over the PS4?

Price is very important, however the same can be said the other way around, if the X is $489 and the PS5 is $499 than the same result will apply.

I never said the gap was 40% different, I just used an example of how gamers view marketing. You might think, its only 18% different (On paper) however marketing isn't going to say "Console A is 18% more powerful than the Console B" it will grant slogans like "Console A is the MOST powerful console in the world!" even if its just 2% more powerful, they are entitled to use that term of marketing which will help favour in sales. If the companies can supply a good demand of games, deliver on friendly customer practices and services with great deals, having the power edge is icing on the cake.

Also there is a lot more to it than just 18% more power, some are saying the Velocity architecture, BCpack, better implementation of Raytracing is in favour of the X as well as being easier to program for. Also add whatever advantages Direct X 12 Ultimate brings to the table. Top that off with faster Ram, a superior CPU and GPU makes that 18% number a lot more powerful than it shows. 

^ Again its all speculation and rumours at the moment so don't take that as gospel just yet, I am just giving examples.

Power matters more if you're lacking elsewhere. MS has lacked in high end titles so they need something else to boost their image. Nin doesn't care about performance much because they don't need to for more than a few reasons. SNY cares enough and also understands what too much of a hardware power focus can do, or can't. MS also needs to strengthen AAA games if they want to make much progress, but the power narrative will help in general.

There certainly will be people who want the XBSX simply because it'll be marketed as the worlds most powerful console. That's one of the things that hooked me at the time of the PS3. The unlimited potential of the cell had me cross eyed and drooling at that point in my life. Now if SNY hasn't completely lost their mojo, they will market PS5 as the worlds fastest console as one of their hooks. This will mean more to some than power, and it will also confuse those who don't understand what that difference really means for a console. This would put the pressure on MS to deliver superb marketing and messaging.

In terms of resolution, I don't see the same thing happening this gen. Both will be marketed as 4k/60 devices and should hold true for both early on with third party cross gen titles for a while. That narrative will stick for casuals well into the future. The hardcore will know the smaller details behind the scenes though, especially as the gen rolls along.

As for price, it again, depends a lot on Lockharts existence. Assuming it's just PS5 and XBSX, worst case scenario, both will cost the same, so $499 each. If SNY feels that MS has control over the narrative and that enough gamers are leaning towards XBSX, they will make sure they undercut XBSX by $50-$100. SNY would and could since it's much more important to them to get as many consoles as possible under TV's compared to MS.

While SNY hasn't shown to care about dropping PS4 prices in comparison to XB1S, they also didn't care to drop them much for PS3 later either. SNY has always boasted about their cheap launch prices, except for that while the PS3 sub was massive, it was still too expensive. While it certainly looks as if MS subsidized XB1X to some degree, it's likely that a subsidy for XBSX would put it at $499. A $449 PS5 would steer some back to SNY, where as a $399 PS5 would be a problem for MS in multiple ways. XBSX would not only be $100 more, but XB1X would have to drop to $299 on shelves immediately or they might as well discontinue it at that point. PS4 Pro would also have to drop to $299, but that won't be a problem for SNY since Pro isn't the leap that XB1X was, if they don't discontinue it that is.

That's not to say we would have another gen just like this. I think a $399 PS5 vs a $499 XBSX would be a closer battle than last gen, but it would take some pretty dumb moves by SNY to have it be neck and neck.

ironmanDX said:
DonFerrari said:

Don't see the mods forbiding it, as long as people stay civil there is no need for it. And for the ones that are incapable of being civil they will ban the people instead of the subject =]

With E3 and other events going by the wayside, we need the bickering over snippets of news for traffic. Gaming sites like these thrive on events and conventions.

I heard that Sales stared a rumour about you. You should ask them about it.

I don't see the point kkkk

EricHiggin said:
Azzanation said:

Azzanation said:

Power matters more if you're lacking elsewhere. MS has lacked in high end titles so they need something else to boost their image. Nin doesn't care about performance much because they don't need to for more than a few reasons. SNY cares enough and also understands what too much of a hardware power focus can do, or can't. MS also needs to strengthen AAA games if they want to make much progress, but the power narrative will help in general.

There certainly will be people who want the XBSX simply because it'll be marketed as the worlds most powerful console. That's one of the things that hooked me at the time of the PS3. The unlimited potential of the cell had me cross eyed and drooling at that point in my life. Now if SNY hasn't completely lost their mojo, they will market PS5 as the worlds fastest console as one of their hooks. This will mean more to some than power, and it will also confuse those who don't understand what that difference really means for a console. This would put the pressure on MS to deliver superb marketing and messaging.

In terms of resolution, I don't see the same thing happening this gen. Both will be marketed as 4k/60 devices and should hold true for both early on with third party cross gen titles for a while. That narrative will stick for casuals well into the future. The hardcore will know the smaller details behind the scenes though, especially as the gen rolls along.

As for price, it again, depends a lot on Lockharts existence. Assuming it's just PS5 and XBSX, worst case scenario, both will cost the same, so $499 each. If SNY feels that MS has control over the narrative and that enough gamers are leaning towards XBSX, they will make sure they undercut XBSX by $50-$100. SNY would and could since it's much more important to them to get as many consoles as possible under TV's compared to MS.

While SNY hasn't shown to care about dropping PS4 prices in comparison to XB1S, they also didn't care to drop them much for PS3 later either. SNY has always boasted about their cheap launch prices, except for that while the PS3 sub was massive, it was still too expensive. While it certainly looks as if MS subsidized XB1X to some degree, it's likely that a subsidy for XBSX would put it at $499. A $449 PS5 would steer some back to SNY, where as a $399 PS5 would be a problem for MS in multiple ways. XBSX would not only be $100 more, but XB1X would have to drop to $299 on shelves immediately or they might as well discontinue it at that point. PS4 Pro would also have to drop to $299, but that won't be a problem for SNY since Pro isn't the leap that XB1X was, if they don't discontinue it that is.

That's not to say we would have another gen just like this. I think a $399 PS5 vs a $499 XBSX would be a closer battle than last gen, but it would take some pretty dumb moves by SNY to have it be neck and neck.

Haven't seem Sony boasting about the power of PS3 or PS4 so not sure why so many users in VGC are talking as if Sony do it.

And this was the first gen where the most powerful console won, and if we consider X1X then never the strongest sold more. So also not sure where Xbox fans are getting this hope, I even remember 2013 when most were betting PS4 would lose just because "the strongest console never won".

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
EricHiggin said:

Haven't seem Sony boasting about the power of PS3 or PS4 so not sure why so many users in VGC are talking as if Sony do it.

And this was the first gen where the most powerful console won, and if we consider X1X then never the strongest sold more. So also not sure where Xbox fans are getting this hope, I even remember 2013 when most were betting PS4 would lose just because "the strongest console never won".

Well SNY did boast about the PS3's power because 360 wasn't a slouch, and PS3 also didn't have the same quality online or third party titles. SNY screwed up with PS3 and they know it, which is a good thing going forward. MS needs to do a ton of brand building and the power narrative is an easy way to start that off. Hopefully that's the case because the hardware boasting eventually wears off if it's not eventually followed by stellar games.

SNY didn't even need to bother bragging about PS4 early on because MS just kept punching themselves over and over. PS3 wasn't all that much different in terms of negativity initially, it's just that it was the gamers that were punching SNY after seeing Kaz punch himself just once, hard, while MS celebrated.

This gen could be more proof of whether hardware performance really matters that much. As long as it remains XBSX vs PS5. Odds are good with mid gen consoles, XBSXX will still outperform PS5 Pro on paper. Now if Lockhart shows up, then the power narrative will be tough to decipher unless MS puts out separate sales info, if they release it at all.

Around the Network
EricHiggin said:

If you are looking at it, as next gen are only going to be running current gen games and game engines sure.. however Consoles are not just going to sit on par with each other. Next gen games are not going to sit using todays gaming engines or settings and only adding for 4k/60 to them. If that was the case I will agree with you, however games are going to be design with next gen in mind, pushing the limits of these consoles, using new and more demanding engines, and the console with the better specs will be dishing out better effects, frames or resolution stability etc. 

We need to take into account that games will also be evolving and will be pushing these systems, Just think of the next Unreal Engine (5) games will be pushing effects, visuals, textures etc and that's where we will see what we saw this gen, some games will have more objects on screen, some games will have better lighting and shadowing, some games will have more grass and better draw distances etc. Its no different to how PC cards work, some games requires tune downs to keep a steady 60 or native 4k etc. 

Azzanation said:
EricHiggin said:

If you are looking at it, as next gen are only going to be running current gen games and game engines sure.. however Consoles are not just going to sit on par with each other. Next gen games are not going to sit using todays gaming engines or settings and only adding for 4k/60 to them. If that was the case I will agree with you, however games are going to be design with next gen in mind, pushing the limits of these consoles, using new and more demanding engines, and the console with the better specs will be dishing out better effects, frames or resolution stability etc. 

We need to take into account that games will also be evolving and will be pushing these systems, Just think of the next Unreal Engine (5) games will be pushing effects, visuals, textures etc and that's where we will see what we saw this gen, some games will have more objects on screen, some games will have better lighting and shadowing, some games will have more grass and better draw distances etc. Its no different to how PC cards work, some games requires tune downs to keep a steady 60 or native 4k etc. 

True next gen games will certainly be something to behold, whenever they arrive, but that's part of my point. It's going to be much harder for MS to achieve that compared to PS, assuming PS will have true PS5 exclusives right off the bat. That doesn't mean MS can't do the extra transitional work to make it happen sooner, it'll just be more of a headache. It's one thing if all you have to do is focus on PS5, and another if you have to worry about XB1 and XB1X/Lockhart for your XBSX game.

Focusing on BC and FC for the first couple of years makes sense for MS in terms of holding onto their user base more easily. That could be somewhat detrimental however, if the XBSX games don't seem as next gen as they should compared to PS5 exclusives early on. Some will buy a next gen console simply because it's time or the newest coolest thing, but many won't unless there's something worthy to play on it that they can't get on their existing console. If it takes MS two years to launch these true next gen level games, SNY will have that time to themselves, and will gain console sales because of that, unless their early exclusives are garbage or don't exist.

Azzanation said:

I know I am beginning to sound like a broken record now... The XSX has a very specific advantage. GPU compute. And its such a small advantage that it is not going to amount to the kinda difference most seem to be suggesting. These consoles have the smallest differences between the HD twins..... ever. You don't have to take my word for it, and in time we will see.

Oh by the way, if MS is going with "worlds most powerful console", Sony should go with "worlds fastest console". 

EricHiggin said:

True next gen games will certainly be something to behold, whenever they arrive, but that's part of my point. It's going to be much harder for MS to achieve that compared to PS, assuming PS will have true PS5 exclusives right off the bat. That doesn't mean MS can't do the extra transitional work to make it happen sooner, it'll just be more of a headache. It's one thing if all you have to do is focus on PS5, and another if you have to worry about XB1 and XB1X/Lockhart for your XBSX game.

Focusing on BC and FC for the first couple of years makes sense for MS in terms of holding onto their user base more easily. That could be somewhat detrimental however, if the XBSX games don't seem as next gen as they should compared to PS5 exclusives early on. Some will buy a next gen console simply because it's time or the newest coolest thing, but many won't unless there's something worthy to play on it that they can't get on their existing console. If it takes MS two years to launch these true next gen level games, SNY will have that time to themselves, and will gain console sales because of that, unless their early exclusives are garbage or don't exist.

It wont be a hassle to optimise games for multiple systems next gen, same with the Series X, XB1 and Lockheart. MS can port Horizon 4 to PC in less than a week using DX12 so I will assume the same will go for next gen games. Also as it seems neither console is hard to develop for plus developers prefer to have there games on more systems as it increases the chance of more sales etc.

Back in the days when we had consoles with alienated architectures, that was when porting and optimising games for other platforms was a bitch.. these days Xbox and PS are PCs and with improvements to APIs like Direct X and with Backwards compatibility being a focus point before launch only has made it many times easier.

Pemalite said:
The eSRAM is not like the SSD.

The eSRAM is not "secret sauce". - The eSRAM was damn important for the Xbox One to reach it's performance level as it was relying on only DDR3 Ram.

The eSRAM also does not possess the functionality to aid in the processing of anything, so it could never make the Xbox One more capable than the GPU with less functional units could allow.

Same goes for the SSD, it doesn't aid in the processing of anything, it doesn't feature the componentry to aid in the processing of data... But what it does do is ensure that the data that needs to be worked on and processed is readily available, efficiently.

Because regardless of how fast a GPU or CPU is... They will waste a ton of clock cycles doing nothing if they do not have the data there instantly on demand, which is why we have a memory hierarchy to reduce the bandwidth and latency penalty of having a chip access data from storage to begin with.

The Playstation 5's SSD will be highly advantageous going forward and the Xbox Series X's additional processing units will showcase their strengths in other areas, both devices are fantastic pieces of technology that Sony and Microsoft have spent years working with AMD on... To constantly belittle or attack either company and it's supporters is silly... Buy the device that has the games you want to play, both will provide a next-gen experience.

Perfectly said. Has been sentiment all along. No one buying either console would be disappointed.

Azzanation said:

It wont be a hassle to optimise games for multiple systems next gen, same with the Series X, XB1 and Lockheart. MS can port Horizon 4 to PC in less than a week using DX12 so I will assume the same will go for next gen games. Also as it seems neither console is hard to develop for plus developers prefer to have there games on more systems as it increases the chance of more sales etc.

Back in the days when we had consoles with alienated architectures, that was when porting and optimising games for other platforms was a bitch.. these days Xbox and PS are PCs and with improvements to APIs like Direct X and with Backwards compatibility being a focus point before launch only has made it many times easier.

Funny enough, as log as a porting from PC to SX would be pretty easy. They are both going to be based on DXU/12. There is just far less arbitration on the SX than on PC which would mean that you would need more powerful hardware all round to do what the SX would do. 

Then again that could be said about all consoles. 

Last edited by Intrinsic - on 03 April 2020