By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - NX Gamer PS5 Full Spec Analysis

SSD in PS5 will change games, theres no doubt it about it. The more I dive into it, its more and more intriguing.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

I didn’t need to wait, people here and everywhere else on the Internet did it for me. Also it has surpassed eSRAM in terms of hopes and speculation. There have been plenty of threads here, and a gargantuan amount on GAF and Reeeee plus Reddit and YouTube. Even right there in your reply, how streaming data can close the gap. It can’t. Believing it can or even might is what makes the PS5 SSD the secret sauce of this gen. Thanks for confirming my argument. 

Stronger specs isn’t the barometer. But please, don’t act as if anyone here has talked about the velocity architecture in the same manner people have speculated about how the SSD could change things. There’s been next to no talk about that from Xbox users. Again, because it isn’t needed. The XSX is superior hardware. People don’t have to speculate about secret sauce. With Xbone, people did. With PS5, people are.

I don’t see anything productive coming from this convo though 🖖

So basically you are talking of stuff that isn't hapening in VGC. If you are please give the links to all this people claiming the SSD makes the PS5 more powerful than XSX.

You are saying there was no talk of the velocity architeture in this way just a few posts after sales doing exactly this.

Well like I said, there’s nothing good that is going to come from bickering about this. But I will correct a couple things you said here. First, I clearly said “more powerful” isn’t the barometer. So why do I need to go search for something that I am not claiming people are saying. Just look at your own post right there where you say the SSD can or may allow PS5 to close the gap in hardware. That’s the barometer and that talk is everywhere.

Lastly, sales didn’t say anything about velocity architecture making XSX more powerful because he doesn’t need to, the XSX is more powerful. He compared compression, which a lot of people are saying the XSX compression can beat Kraken. But he isn’t trying to say that closes the gap with the SSD.

DonFerrari said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

I didn’t need to wait, people here and everywhere else on the Internet did it for me. Also it has surpassed eSRAM in terms of hopes and speculation. There have been plenty of threads here, and a gargantuan amount on GAF and Reeeee plus Reddit and YouTube. Even right there in your reply, how streaming data can close the gap. It can’t. Believing it can or even might is what makes the PS5 SSD the secret sauce of this gen. Thanks for confirming my argument. 

Stronger specs isn’t the barometer. But please, don’t act as if anyone here has talked about the velocity architecture in the same manner people have speculated about how the SSD could change things. There’s been next to no talk about that from Xbox users. Again, because it isn’t needed. The XSX is superior hardware. People don’t have to speculate about secret sauce. With Xbone, people did. With PS5, people are.

I don’t see anything productive coming from this convo though 🖖

So basically you are talking of stuff that isn't hapening in VGC. If you are please give the links to all this people claiming the SSD makes the PS5 more powerful than XSX.

You are saying there was no talk of the velocity architeture in this way just a few posts after sales doing exactly this.

Whoa now don’t rope me into this. I saw a YT video that talked about the velocity beating out the kraken for PS5...that was a day ago. Didn’t even hear about each term until then. 

I have always viewed you as more level headed then me, but we shouldn’t have to give you links to people defending PS5 with the term ssd in their argument. At the very least the ssd is being used to say both machines are functionally equal ( I mean if you can’t win at least claim a tie).

He is right in the sense that Xbox fans have little reason to push Series X being superior tech...MS did that for us. For those who care about power, it’s PS fans on the defensive and you can’t deny that. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:

Whoa now don’t rope me into this. I saw a YT video that talked about the velocity beating out the kraken for PS5...that was a day ago. Didn’t even hear about each term until then. 

I have always viewed you as more level headed then me, but we shouldn’t have to give you links to people defending PS5 with the term ssd in their argument. At the very least the ssd is being used to say both machines are functionally equal ( I mean if you can’t win at least claim a tie).

He is right in the sense that Xbox fans have little reason to push Series X being superior tech...MS did that for us. For those who care about power, it’s PS fans on the defensive and you can’t deny that. 

Then I misread you, because I interpreted what you said as with the velocity closing the gap or surpassing the SSD solution on PS5. Which is basically what Sony fans are being accused of when saying the SSD being twice a fast may help close the HW gap. It won't make PS5 have a better GPU or CPU, but there will be scenarios (doubtly 3rd party) that the SSD being twice as fast will alleviate some of the hurdle on CPU/GPU/RAM.

And I have already said in several prior posts that for 3rd parties yes the difference betwen the SSDs will be negible (at most a couple seconds faster loading, but the streaming inside the game won't be made different so PS5 have much more in screen), and someone even posted a source with a claim of Sony and MS agreeing on a standard use of SSD for 3rd parties.

Tech isn't just CPU or GPU, thus why using the compression difference to claim the advantage on SSD will be lowered is similar secret sauce to saying SSD will make the CPU and GPU game smaller.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Funny that we argue this SSD related stuff in the thread about the video that is 100% clear about this topic. For fuck sake, watch it once guys.

Around the Network

The eSRAM is not like the SSD.

The eSRAM is not "secret sauce". - The eSRAM was damn important for the Xbox One to reach it's performance level as it was relying on only DDR3 Ram.

The eSRAM also does not possess the functionality to aid in the processing of anything, so it could never make the Xbox One more capable than the GPU with less functional units could allow.

Same goes for the SSD, it doesn't aid in the processing of anything, it doesn't feature the componentry to aid in the processing of data... But what it does do is ensure that the data that needs to be worked on and processed is readily available, efficiently.

Because regardless of how fast a GPU or CPU is... They will waste a ton of clock cycles doing nothing if they do not have the data there instantly on demand, which is why we have a memory hierarchy to reduce the bandwidth and latency penalty of having a chip access data from storage to begin with.

The Playstation 5's SSD will be highly advantageous going forward and the Xbox Series X's additional processing units will showcase their strengths in other areas, both devices are fantastic pieces of technology that Sony and Microsoft have spent years working with AMD on... To constantly belittle or attack either company and it's supporters is silly... Buy the device that has the games you want to play, both will provide a next-gen experience.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Soooo to prevent an endless cycle of fan bickering about specs for the next 6 months which is all speculative....spec thread topic outlaw?

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

KingofTrolls said:
Funny that we argue this SSD related stuff in the thread about the video that is 100% clear about this topic. For fuck sake, watch it once guys.

We all have a go to video that proves the exact narrative we have in our head. As the mods said, it’s all speculation. 

sales2099 said:
Soooo to prevent an endless cycle of fan bickering about specs for the next 6 months which is all speculative....spec thread topic outlaw?

Don't see the mods forbiding it, as long as people stay civil there is no need for it. And for the ones that are incapable of being civil they will ban the people instead of the subject =]

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

All this bickering will be for not when the ultimate next gen console arrives!

Spoiler!
Ouya 2

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850