By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Official 2020 US Presidential Election Thread

Moren said:

I'm setting my foot down. These are my final predictions. Might be too Dem, but momentum and fundraising seem to be on their side.

I mostly agree with your projections, but I think Texas, Iowa, and North Carolina stay trump.  

Around the Network

Can't make any Senate predictions. It's too painful.

Moren said:

I'm setting my foot down. These are my final predictions. Might be too Dem, but momentum and fundraising seem to be on their side.

My prediction was kind of the same. Except for Texas. After watching 13 seasons of King of the Hill, I just can't wrap my head around a blue Texas.

But honestly... there are reasons to think that's more likely than Ohio.

While Ohio underrated Trump, Texas overrated him by 3. Pollsters are more likely to correct when they are publicly flogged like they were with the midwest polls (I think) so maybe there are still some assumptions about turnout in Texas that are skewing things.

And the results in Ohio and Texas were nearly identical. Clinton had 43.2% of the vote in both. Donald Trump performed about 1% better in Texas.

And, there's reason to think Texas has shifted further from Ohio. There are 600,000 more Hispanic voters eligible this yes. Even if Trump increased his standing with Hispanic voters in Texas (evidence is mixed) that advantage may be offset by the larger number.

So, it stands to reason that Biden may improve more in Texas than in Ohio, and Ohio is pretty damn close. Trump is polling better in Texas, but not by much, and not enough to be outside the margin of error. If I think Biden will win Ohio, which I do, Texas shouldn't be a stretch.

That being said, it's fucking Texas. I'll believe it when I see it. I tell you what.

Alright, others are doing predictions with the map thingy, so I'll try. I'll caution though that this is NOT necessarily my final prediction of the details and that I'm not always spot on about all the details. The following is, rather, my extremely tentative prediction of the details based on how I personally think things will ultimately go. I absolutely reserve the right to change it between now the formal election day. I will tentatively call every state though.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 08 October 2020

Part of me can't help but wonder when I look at all these states like Arizona (the state I live in), Texas, Florida, Georgia, and Ohio, that used to be so dominantly and historically Red, and are now turning purple or even just straight blue like Arizona:

Are they REALLY turning Purple/Blue or is Trump just THAT bad?
If we look back at 2016, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Michigan all went Red, but by razor thin margins, now they're full on Blue again. Which tells me that they just REALLY did not like Hillary. Is this the same case with all these states that are swinging blue this election? Fast forward to 2024, assuming Biden wins and we have a new Republican candidate going up against him, or whoever the Democratic candidate will be if Biden decided not to run for reelection. If that Republican candidate is more... natural, more moderate and not as ridiculous and hard-headed as Trump is. If that candidate is actually reasonable, who's to say those same states I mentioned in the beginning won't swing right back to the Red and we'll have a much closer race next time around?

I bring this up because I had this same conversation with a group of senior citizens I had lunch yesterday. It was me and these 3 senior citizens between the ages of 67-79, one of them even served in Vietnam. And they all of hate Trump's guts, they seem to think that those states really are shifting Purple/Blue and that Texas will eventually become a full on battleground state and effectively replace Florida as the absolute biggest MUST HAVE state for anyone who's running, which would be a huge blow for Republicans since that's their biggest source of Electoral College votes. If they have to fight as hard for Texas as they do for Florida now, then can take away resources and spending in the other battleground states.

Around the Network

And since everyone's doing it, here's how I think it's going to go:

PAOerfulone said:
Part of me can't help but wonder when I look at all these states like Arizona (the state I live in), Texas, Florida, Georgia, and Ohio, that used to be so dominantly and historically Red, and are now turning purple or even just straight blue like Arizona:

If we look back at 2016, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Michigan all went Red, but by razor thin margins, now they're full on Blue again. Which tells me that they just REALLY did not like Hillary. Is this the same case with all these states that are swinging blue this election? Fast forward to 2024, assuming Biden wins and we have a new Republican candidate going up against him, or whoever the Democratic candidate will be if Biden decided not to run for reelection. If that Republican candidate is more... natural, more moderate and not as ridiculous and hard-headed as Trump is. If that candidate is actually reasonable, who's to say those same states I mentioned in the beginning won't swing right back to the Red and we'll have a much closer race next time around?

I bring this up because I had this same conversation with a group of senior citizens I had lunch yesterday. It was me and these 3 senior citizens between the ages of 67-79, one of them even served in Vietnam. And they all of hate Trump's guts, they seem to think that those states really are shifting Purple/Blue and that Texas will eventually become a full on battleground state and effectively replace Florida as the absolute biggest MUST HAVE state for anyone who's running, which would be a huge blow for Republicans since that's their biggest source of Electoral College votes. If they have to fight as hard for Texas as they do for Florida now, then can take away resources and spending in the other battleground states.

It's a few things. 

People really hated Hillary Clinton.

Trump is that bad. 

Trump's catchphrases aren't working again this year. Things like drain the swamp don't work anymore. In general a lot of the appeal Trump had was the outsider "he's not a politician" stuff. That doesn't work when you're the incumbent. 

I don't know that Biden will be running in 2024. He'll be 82. Maybe he will, but I think it's more likely he bows out. Harris is on a trial run. They have 4 years to see if she has a legit shot in 24, otherwise they get someone else.

As for if the party can recover from Trump... I don't know. Just like Trump is still trying to run against Hillary Clinton, whoever runs in 2024 will raise the specter of Trump. And if Trump spends the next 4 years still making noise, dominating headlines, and basically being the face of the republican party, that will make it hard for them to establish a new candidate.

If Trump remains popular with the more extreme side of the republican party, it gets really hard for the party to move on which, if the election goes how it looks like it will, will be a necessity. So, honestly, I think that if Trump loses, the party is going to turn on him with such ferocity it will make the way they treated Obama look like nothing. He will be scapegoated for all of the problems of the party. They will spend the first two years of Biden's presidency trying to obliterate any Trump support, then the last two trying to raise up a candidate. At least that's what I think will happen.

Nancy Freaking Pelosi...

Nancy Pelosi has introduced a bill that would establish a committee to evaluate Donald Trump's fitness to be president. If the body finds him not fit (meaning he's incapacitated or legally insane) Mike Pence could sign a document and take over, as per the 25th Amendment.

Obviously, this is political theater as this will never ever pass. But as far as political theater goes it's damn good. No way to address this without implicating Trump's mental state, and it kind of flips the narrative that republicans have been running with, putting them on defense of their candidate. And, it's also sure to trigger Trump who may appear more erratic and unhinged as a result.

Pelosi is playing dirty... and I kind of like it.

PAOerfulone said:

I've had the same thoughts. If the GOP can actually push through a decent candidate with some centrist appeal, they may be able to delay the inevitable a while longer. That said, none of the possible candidates they've been floating seem to fit that bill or possess Trump's low brow charisma either. I don't think Texas is quite purple just yet seeing how detestable Trump is and yet he's still up a bit there. Soon though, soon.

JWeinCom said:
Nancy Freaking Pelosi...

Nancy Pelosi has introduced a bill that would establish a committee to evaluate Donald Trump's fitness to be president. If the body finds him not fit (meaning he's incapacitated or legally insane) Mike Pence could sign a document and take over, as per the 25th Amendment.

Obviously, this is political theater as this will never ever pass. But as far as political theater goes it's damn good. No way to address this without implicating Trump's mental state, and it kind of flips the narrative that republicans have been running with, putting them on defense of their candidate. And, it's also sure to trigger Trump who may appear more erratic and unhinged as a result.

Pelosi is playing dirty... and I kind of like it.

Hey, even Trump Jr is worried about his dad's mental state at this point.

Last edited by TallSilhouette - on 09 October 2020

JWeinCom said:
PAOerfulone said:

It's a few things. 

People really hated Hillary Clinton.

Trump is that bad. 

Trump's catchphrases aren't working again this year. Things like drain the swamp don't work anymore. In general a lot of the appeal Trump had was the outsider "he's not a politician" stuff. That doesn't work when you're the incumbent. 

I don't know that Biden will be running in 2024. He'll be 82. Maybe he will, but I think it's more likely he bows out. Harris is on a trial run. They have 4 years to see if she has a legit shot in 24, otherwise they get someone else.

As for if the party can recover from Trump... I don't know. Just like Trump is still trying to run against Hillary Clinton, whoever runs in 2024 will raise the specter of Trump. And if Trump spends the next 4 years still making noise, dominating headlines, and basically being the face of the republican party, that will make it hard for them to establish a new candidate.

If Trump remains popular with the more extreme side of the republican party, it gets really hard for the party to move on which, if the election goes how it looks like it will, will be a necessity. So, honestly, I think that if Trump loses, the party is going to turn on him with such ferocity it will make the way they treated Obama look like nothing. He will be scapegoated for all of the problems of the party. They will spend the first two years of Biden's presidency trying to obliterate any Trump support, then the last two trying to raise up a candidate. At least that's what I think will happen.

I'm trying to be optimistic, but there still seems to be a lot of hardcore support for Trump. If this does happen, it will be like de-Stalinization for the Republicans.