By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you dream of a day where gaming is more accessible?

Do you want gaming to be more accessible?

YES! 6 27.27%

NO! 6 27.27%

This is a dumb question 10 45.45%

Total:22

Think about it. Pretty much any other form of entertainment is much more accessible than gaming. Want to read a book? Buy one for 20 bucks or less, then read it. Want to watch a movie? Go to a theater, or use a streaming service (Netflix), or pop in a Blu-Ray, etc etc... Want to listen to music? Buy a song or album for $20-$30 (maybe cheaper), stream it online, download it onto your phone, etc etc...

But with video games, there are *much* more barriers. Want to play a video game? First, buy either a $300-$500 game console, or $1000 gaming PC. Then, let's pay EVEN MORE money for the games themselves! $60, Brilliant! Oh, the console you bought doesn't play every game you wanted to play? Well, time to buy ANOTHER console, amiright?! Oh, is your PC not powerful enough? Too bad! I know you could use the argument, "But you need a TV or monitor to watch movies, and you have to buy individual movies as well." Except... it's not NEARLY as expensive an investment as gaming! Not to mention, you need things like a TV or monitor for games as well (handhelds excluded), on top of all the other things I listed!

Another argument: "Gaming is more accessible than its ever been! Everyone plays games on their phones! My grandma still plays her Wii!" It's true that efforts to improve the accessibility of gaming have produced good results (Wii for non-gamers, Xbox Adaptive Controller, etc). Though, i'm more so talking about bigger, more serious, gaming experiences. To me, playing a mobile game is akin to watching a YouTube video on a phone. There are exceptions, but to me, it doesn't quite give the player/viewer the best impression of the medium as a whole.

I dunno, what do you guys think? 

Around the Network

More accessible gave us Wii shovelware and mobile gaming. Even tho it hurts my wallet I prefer it this way. The industry is more focused on catering to gaming fans these days. They are better for it. When you try to appeal to everyone you dilute the industry.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Well, people buy $800 phones (and spend $1000 on a pathetic mobile game) while a lot of people had a NDS or PS2 for $99 when they were still current generation with a massive used game marketplace with $5 games. So in some ways "true gaming" is much cheaper/ accessible than mobile.

I mean, Google Stadia just attempted to make games accessible from a YouTube browser. More than a few reasons as to why it failed.

Gaming will get there, eventually.

Apples to oranges, honestly. No, I don't want to because it changes the industry. We are seeing it in pretty much all mediums and honestly every time gaming was "liberalized" it was usually in a shitty direction.
Gaming is absolutely the most accessible medium at the moment, as it is, as most of the games released are free anyways. You want to know if it would be good if the whole industry would go down that patch. The answer is simply no.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network

Video games are inherently more involved than staring at a screen or page, which I like, so it makes sense they require more investment. I'd prefer it to stay that way, those who want more accessible means of entertainment have plenty of options already, so I'm gonna say no.

People will spend whatever amounts of their money on whatever they deem to be worth it. I think the accessibility in gaming is more about how easy or difficult it is to pick up a game and start playing. I think this has gotten a lot better over the years, but more importantly people themselves have become more adapted to all things electronic. Current generations of people grow up with all kinds of gadgets, it's not a problem really for anyone other than old folks.

Not to toot my own sides horn, but MS is the closest to realizing your ideal gaming landscape. Big name exclusives are on PC as well as console. And not even on the MS Store but Steam as well.

Subscriptions are also lowering the barrier to entry in the form of low monthly bills instead of $60+ for base game or any deluxe editions. I played over 20 games on GP last year but since I made my money’s worth with Gears 5 and Outer Worlds day 1 I essentially saved hundreds. 

This year Xcloud is expected to launch with consoles and Pc, paired with Game Pass. So you aren’t locked to your living room couch. In the next years Xcloud won’t even need a console as a requirement and this will have all the big 1st party games without a massive barrier to entry.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

I buy several games for 5 or so, just wait for discounts and buy used.
But yes if games were more mass market, 1B-2B market instead of 100-200M then you would be able to lower the price and sell a lot more. Otherwise the math doesn't match.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

sales2099 said:

Not to toot my own sides horn, but MS is the closest to realizing your ideal gaming landscape. Big name exclusives are on PC as well as console. And not even on the MS Store but Steam as well.

Subscriptions are also lowering the barrier to entry in the form of low monthly bills instead of $60+ for base game or any deluxe editions. I played over 20 games on GP last year but since I made my money’s worth with Gears 5 and Outer Worlds day 1 I essentially saved hundreds. 

This year Xcloud is expected to launch with consoles and Pc, paired with Game Pass. So you aren’t locked to your living room couch. In the next years Xcloud won’t even need a console as a requirement and this will have all the big 1st party games without a massive barrier to entry.

Well Xcloud and PSNow have a much better chance of being the netflix of games (a think I don't really like on long term) than Stadia for certain, and MS Gamepass with play anywhere is certainly something that currently is quite good.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."