By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you dream of a day where gaming is more accessible?

Do you want gaming to be more accessible?

YES! 6 27.27%

NO! 6 27.27%

This is a dumb question 10 45.45%

Total:22

This was an issue when I was younger. Today, despite having bills and monthly expenses, gaming is not too expensive on my average salary. Like any hobby, it's more about priority, I choose this over lots of other things I could be doing or buying.

Around the Network

Most of the posts I see disagree with you but I'd love to see that happen. Maybe upgraded or scalable versions for different hardware but yeah.

As for those who say accessibility caused shovelware, you're looking at gaming history through rose colored glasses. Popularity = Abundance of shovelware.

Cloud gaming will do it. I believe by 2030 more people will be playing games in the cloud than in their local rigs.

Amazon is already posed to launch a cloud service code named Project Tempo. Google is already in the process of opening their third 1st party studio. They already have 2 studios working in Montreal and Playa Vista and bought Typhoon Studios.

Last edited by CuCabeludo - on 04 April 2020

Ultravolt said:

Another argument: "Gaming is more accessible than its ever been! Everyone plays games on their phones! My grandma still plays her Wii!" It's true that efforts to improve the accessibility of gaming have produced good results (Wii for non-gamers, Xbox Adaptive Controller, etc). Though, i'm more so talking about bigger, more serious, gaming experiences. To me, playing a mobile game is akin to watching a YouTube video on a phone. There are exceptions, but to me, it doesn't quite give the player/viewer the best impression of the medium as a whole.

I dunno, what do you guys think? 

Isn't that like mobile phone games? Was the first thing I thought of when I read the first part of the OP.
Nice to see you included it as well.

"more accessible" = every damn body has a mobile phone, and theres a ton of free  to play games there.

How does it get even "more" accessible than that?

We've "seen" what accessible gameing looks like (cheap f2p games), and most of us are like "im happy with my console/pc, thanks".

CuCabeludo said:

Cloud gaming will do it. I believe by 2030 more people will be playing games in the cloud than in their local rigs.

Mobile phone gameing is way more popular than "cloud gameing" will ever be.
It is very accesible, so no reason to think things will look very differnt in the future. Super accessbile gameing is already here.

Their called free to play, mobile games.

JRPGfan said:
Ultravolt said:

Another argument: "Gaming is more accessible than its ever been! Everyone plays games on their phones! My grandma still plays her Wii!" It's true that efforts to improve the accessibility of gaming have produced good results (Wii for non-gamers, Xbox Adaptive Controller, etc). Though, i'm more so talking about bigger, more serious, gaming experiences. To me, playing a mobile game is akin to watching a YouTube video on a phone. There are exceptions, but to me, it doesn't quite give the player/viewer the best impression of the medium as a whole.

I dunno, what do you guys think? 

Isn't that like mobile phone games? Was the first thing I thought of when I read the first part of the OP.
Nice to see you included it as well.

"more accessible" = every damn body has a mobile phone, and theres a ton of free  to play games there.

How does it get even "more" accessible than that?

We've "seen" what accessible gameing looks like (cheap f2p games), and most of us are like "im happy with my console/pc, thanks".

CuCabeludo said:

Mobile phone gameing is way more popular than "cloud gameing" will ever be.
It is very accesible, so no reason to think things will look very differnt in the future. Super accessbile gameing is already here.

Their called free to play, mobile games.

Playing AAA games with high fidelity without having to invest in any gaming hardware will make AAA gaming more accessible than ever.

Around the Network
Immersiveunreality said:

Even buying preowned games for switch is expensive while those same stores give you almost nothing if you bring games in.(Do not own one atm but trying to collect some games for my niece)

I rather give my games away to people that can't afford buying them instead of feeling like i just got robbed every time i only get a few bucks from stores that follow up with selling those games at a high price.

That said,Nintendos own IP's mostly always deliver quality so that is a good trade in.

That's one of my main issues with Ninty, in that their games are always expensive, more so than other systems, they hold little decent deep discounts and their trade in value for physical is really bad.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

If you know it's a dumb question.... why ask? Phones cost just as much as a PC does. I just got a lot of FREE games on PC, like Division 2, Watch Dogs, and World War Z, and of course Fornite is free. There's also free-to-play weekends games do sometimes. Recently, that's been overwatch, Mortal Kombat 11, and Street Fighter V.

PCs cost more because they're not inherently gaming consoles. They're personal computers.

I've seen disabled players enter fighting game tournaments, and play with his mouth, and people claim they can't do simple stuff fighting games ask of you.

And you talk about going to the theater. Like that's any different than going to a friend's place who already has a console. People without functioning hands can compete, and you don't need a big gaming budget to play. The only barriers in life are the ones you put for yourself.

That covers everything.  What part of gaming isn't accessible?

Sounds like a future ad for xCloud/PSNow

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Immersiveunreality said:
kazuyamishima said:
PS4/Xbone/PC have plenty of discounts and even AAA games as low as $2.99.

Switch on the other hand is another story...

Even buying preowned games for switch is expensive while those same stores give you almost nothing if you bring games in.(Do not own one atm but trying to collect some games for my niece)

I rather give my games away to people that can't afford buying them instead of feeling like i just got robbed every time i only get a few bucks from stores that follow up with selling those games at a high price.

That said,Nintendos own IP's mostly always deliver quality so that is a good trade in.

Several high quality games go on several discount while even not that good Nintendo games don't. It is just how Nintendo manage their games.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Not really. Gaming is also a lot more involved than reading a book or watching a movie. There isn't much you can do about that. As far as accessible, you have three major consoles to choose from plus Steam and GOG. There's nothing especially difficult about using any of these platforms. If you don't like involved games you can download "free" (emphasis on quotes) 5 minute time wasters on your mobile phone with just a couple finger taps. It's not like you need a federal background check and a 5 day waiting period to game.

Gaming is as accessible as anything else out there. The question is whether someone considers gaming a hobby worth investing time and money in at the expense of other hobbies. If yes, they'll invest it. If no, they'll invest the time and money in something that is more to their tastes.