Forums - Gaming Discussion - 2017 or 2020? Better first 4 months for console games?

2017 is known for having a lot of notable games packed together in the first few months of the year. Mainly for fans of Japanese console games.
2020 is looking to be pretty similar.

1.) Which games from the first 4 months of the year were/are interesting to you?
Put the games you're certain you will pick up at some point, or already have, in bold text.

2.) Which year do you prefer based on the games from this period?

Here are 10 games for each year off the top of my head. (You can name games not appearing on the list.)

1.) For 2020, I'm interested in Granblue Versus, Kakarot, NiOh 2, Animal Crossing, Trials of Mana, RE3, Final Fantasy 7, and Persona 5 Royal.
For 2017, RE7, Gravity Rush 2, Horizon, Kingdom Hearts 2.8, Yakuza 0, NiOh, Nier: Automata, Zelda: Breath of The Wild, Persona 5, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

2.) Since Final Fantasy 7 weighs so heavily for me, and I have more games this year I plan to pick up, and I didn't finish Persona 5 yet, so I can start over with Royal, I think it's 2020 for me. Although Nier and Yakuza 0 especially were big surprises to me, so it's a tough call.

Last edited by Hiku - on 22 March 2020

Around the Network

2017. I have not bought a newly released game unless you count ports. 2017 I could not keep a dime in my wallet all year.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

In 2017, I was personally interested in
Resident Evil 7, Gravity Rush 2, Horizon Zero Dawn, Nier Automata, and Breath of the Wild. In fact, every single one of those were day one purchases.

2020, I want DBZ (haven't bought it yet), Animal Crossing (for my daughter--I'm not even gonna play it), Resident Evil 3 and Final Fantasy VII--both of which are pre-ordered.

I just logged in an additional 80 hours of BotW in the past two weeks so that alone puts 2017 ahead of 2020 for me.

mZuzek loves Smeags. 😢

Breath of the Wild is the only one of those 2017 releases I purchased. For 2020 in the first 4 months for me is DBZ Kakarot, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Doom Eternal and Resi 3 remake. So 2020 for me.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Is the poll broken.. or are you asking about Pineapple on pizza in a thread about 2017 vs 2020?

• Deadliest mass shooting by an individual in US history (10/01/2017)
  • Deadliest high school shooting in US history (02/14/2018)
  • Deadliest massacre of Jews in US history (10/27/2018)
  • Political assassination attempt of TWO former presidents(and 10+ other people)  (10/23/2018 - and beyond)
Around the Network

Ori needs to be in the op (if it is, I don't see it)! Fantastic game.

mZuzek loves Smeags. 😢

This line alone.

GG.

d21lewis said:

My thoughts exactly.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Bandorr said:
Is the poll broken.. or are you asking about Pineapple on pizza in a thread about 2017 vs 2020?

Just a joke, but I removed it now.

d21lewis said:

It should indeed. I forgot. I'll see if I can add them. Though I mentioned you can name any game that interests you.

Last edited by Hiku - on 22 March 2020

Hiku said:
Bandorr said:

Just a joke, but I removed it now.

d21lewis said:

It should be. I forgot it. Though I mentioned you can name any game that interests you.

I would fine the joke funny. I've had two polls already where I don't remember voting for them. And one of them changed after I voted. So just a little confused.

Also the answer is 2020:

One-piece warriors 3. FF7 remake. Persona 5 royal. Dragonball Kakarot.

• Deadliest mass shooting by an individual in US history (10/01/2017)
  • Deadliest high school shooting in US history (02/14/2018)
  • Deadliest massacre of Jews in US history (10/27/2018)
  • Political assassination attempt of TWO former presidents(and 10+ other people)  (10/23/2018 - and beyond)