By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bet: Which next-gen console will be more powerful?

** Betting is CLOSED - all winnings have been paid out by trunkswd **

Which next-gen console will be more powerful

PS5 4 $3,092.90 16.00%

Series X 21 $14,981.51 84.00%

Totals: 25 $18,074.41  
Game closed: 03/15/2020
Ljink96 said:
src said:

MS aren't going to burn all that money on a business that makes them a fraction of the money. By this insane logic, Google and MS would win at every market they compete in as they can burn so much more money.

Meanwhile, back in reality, MS and Google have been beaten and bowed out of so many ventures by far smaller companies. 

Also, that is how it works. Manufacturing basics, or even as a consumer you should know this: if you order in larger bulks you can get larger discounts.

Sony has a console that sells 100 million while MS is declining and selling 50 million. Sony is going to get the better deal from AMD.

Bruh...just stop. You're missing the plot entirely. 

You not being able to understand basic manufacturing and business is not my problem. 

1) MS and other big companies have been beaten by companies with far smaller cash reserves, AKA you're whole burn cash point is incorrect. 

2) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economies_of_scale Average cost decreases as output increases. 100 million > 50 million

HoangNhatAnh said:
src said:

MS aren't going to burn all that money on a business that makes them a fraction of the money. By this insane logic, Google and MS would win at every market they compete in as they can burn so much more money.

Meanwhile, back in reality, MS and Google have been beaten and bowed out of so many ventures by far smaller companies. 

Also, that is how it works. Manufacturing basics, or even as a consumer you should know this: if you order in larger bulks you can get larger discounts.

Sony has a console that sells 100 million while MS is declining and selling 50 million. Sony is going to get the better deal from AMD.

Declining? Like PS2 (155 mil) to PS3 (90 mil), right?

Yes. Xbox went from 90 million -> <50 million 

Around the Network
src said:
Ljink96 said:

Bruh...just stop. You're missing the plot entirely. 

You not being able to understand basic manufacturing and business is not my problem. 

1) MS and other big companies have been beaten by companies with far smaller cash reserves, AKA you're whole burn cash point is incorrect. 

2) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economies_of_scale Average cost decreases as output increases. 100 million > 50 million

HoangNhatAnh said:

Again, stop. This new manufactured hardware starts from zero. This is not about anecdotes you have about beating a company, it's about cold hard facts. Microsoft can factually take more of a beating than Sony ever could solely because of their wealth they've acquired since their inception. 

This is about being logical, not about burning cash. Use common sense and connect the dots. Of course no company wants to burn cash, but it'd be an easier decision for Microsoft to make than Sony for numerous reasons you didn't care to absorb. Link me Wikipedia articles all day, it changes nothing. Sony and Microsoft will be starting from 0 consoles sold starting holiday 2020. We don't even know how many consoles will be shipped from either this holiday. Quit the nonsense man. 

There will be a global recession, nobody will be buying them. On that basis, who cares, literally be nothing between them regardless.

Ljink96 said:
src said:

Again, stop. This new manufactured hardware starts from zero. This is not about anecdotes you have about beating a company, it's about cold hard facts. Microsoft can factually take more of a beating than Sony ever could solely because of their wealth they've acquired since their inception. 

This is about being logical, not about burning cash. Use common sense and connect the dots. Of course no company wants to burn cash, but it'd be an easier decision for Microsoft to make than Sony for numerous reasons you didn't care to absorb. Link me Wikipedia articles all day, it changes nothing. Sony and Microsoft will be starting from 0 consoles sold starting holiday 2020. We don't even know how many consoles will be shipped from either this holiday. Quit the nonsense man. 

It's not Sony versus Microsoft, it's Sony versus the Xbox division which has a limited budget and investors will not take kindly to burning money on something that isn't their core business and isn't making a huge impact. Their console division haven't exactly been on fire this gen, save for the game pass thing which seems to be working out nicely. On top of that, Phil Spencer is talking about a streaming future for gaming and trying to sell their new monster hardware at the same time, which is pretty confusing.

Ljink96 said:
src said:

You need to educate yourself on market fundamentals. Wikipedia would be a good start, as would be reading since you clearly lack business acumen.

Sony and MS will be ordering contracts from AMD on how many chips to manufacture. This is done in advance, at least for a full FY. 

AMD will give Sony larger discounts as Sony has a history of consoles selling near 100 million. Avg cost decreases as output increase. Read the article. 

Like the above poster said: MS has investors. They will not allow MS to spend its reserves on a sector that accounts for so little of their bottom line. 

Seriously. Start reading. 

Around the Network

Uh, isn't that poll bet kinda pointless if people can vote afterward from the reveal?

Edit: Nevermind, hoping the OP saw Ryuu's post so people aren't just voting after the information is shown. 

src said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

155 - 90 = 65

90 - 50 = 40

Well, i wonder, which side dropped more. I think you already knew.

You are welcome.

Are we talking about the power to move customers into a store to buy the console? If so, I bet 5000 VG$ on PS5.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I'm sure Series X will be a bit more powerful. Though, I'm curious what it will cost and if its meant to be a mass market product or more of a niche product like MS's $200 Elite controller. My guess is that Series X will be $599 and that's me being conservative. Sony will want to sell as many ps5's as possible and no doubt aim for a more tolerable price point between $399 -$499 and it'll likely be around 9 to 10Tflops. In real life performance, the games will probably end up looking quite similar between the 2, with Series X games running at a slightly higher res that most people won't notice.

On the other hand, if the ps5 was weaker compared to the Series X, it wouldn't make much sense to do their ps5 tech reveal right after. They must be pretty confident in how the 2 compare so who knows, maybe Sony has some tricks up their sleeves. 

Last edited by goopy20 - on 18 March 2020

Going with PS5 for reasons.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261