By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bet: Which next-gen console will be more powerful?

** Betting is CLOSED - all winnings have been paid out by trunkswd **

Which next-gen console will be more powerful

PS5 4 $3,092.90 16.00%

Series X 21 $14,981.51 84.00%

Totals: 25 $18,074.41  
Game closed: 03/15/2020
DonFerrari said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah it's always good to be wary of pre-release promises of a console's power. PS3 and PS2 are probably the most egregious examples, but I'm sure if you look you can find plenty of other cases of companies over-promising on what their hardware can do.

Tech demos should also be taken with a huge grain of salt; even if they are indeed running on the hardware, its easy to make something look great within the limitations of a scripted demo where you don't have to worry about AI, a free camera, or any of the other trappings of an actual working game.

There are probably some people still waiting on that tech demo of Zelda.

I know. I'm one of them! XD

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
d21lewis said:

That's why I'm wary. Aside from PS2 games looking like "Shrek" and "Toy Story", they also said it would take a decade for PC gaming to catch up to the PS2. They had people believing that the PlayStation 2 would be some kind of cheap supercomputer that terrorists would buy and launch nuclear missiles! I'm not exaggerating. They said PS2 games would be like entering the Matrix. (Ken Kutaragi was insane!) 

After so many examples like this, I'm just waiting to see what the PS5 and Xbox SX are actually going to do. Hype only leads to disappointment.

I don't remember them saying it would take PC 10 years to catch up. That's crazy talk. No way the most powerful console will be able to keep up with PC. Specs are always improving. 

I'm impressed with the little Microsoft has shown off. Gears 5 looks a fair bit better in Xbox Series X than it does on Xbox One X, despite only a couple weeks of work. 

Did some research. It was actually Nintendo and they said it would take five years for PC gaming to catch up to the N64! My bad.

Everybody is guilty of overhyping their new hardware. That's why I'm taking a "wait and see" approach. I can give you dozens of examples of company hyperbole (but next time, I'll be sure to back it up with a link or something). To paraphrase an old 90s song, "If you don't expect too much, you might not be let down."