By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bet: Which next-gen console will be more powerful?

** Betting is CLOSED - all winnings have been paid out by trunkswd **

Which next-gen console will be more powerful

PS5 4 $3,092.90 16.00%

Series X 21 $14,981.51 84.00%

Totals: 25 $18,074.41  
Game closed: 03/15/2020
curl-6 said:

So @Pemalite now that we have spec sheets for both systems, what's your take on what they mean in terms of comparative real world performance, as one of our resident tech experts?

He said in another thread that certainly XSX is more powerful but we don't know how much, probably will be on the realm of 10-20%

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

So... Does the money get transferred to my paypal or?

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

src said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

155 - 90 = 65

90 - 50 = 40

Well, i wonder, which side dropped more. I think you already knew.

You are welcome.

Not PS as PS4 is going to end with 120-130 million lmao

As for your point, its completely meaningless. Its not about the size of the gap but the bottom number: Xbox at 50 million and even with your spin by ignoring PS4, PS3 is at 90 million.

PS2 is at 155 million, how about that compared to ps3? You were talking about the drop level of 360 to Xbox 1 and made conclusion about that drop would make 3rd party stay away from MS then i showed you an other example: if PS3 dropped a lot from ps2 and ps4 can bound back then XSX should be be the same as well, but clearly you ignored it for whatever reason.

curl-6 said:

So @Pemalite now that we have spec sheets for both systems, what's your take on what they mean in terms of comparative real world performance, as one of our resident tech experts?

With the information we have right now... Sony's Playstation 5 handily beats the Xbox Series X when it comes to streaming assets into DRAM due to having twice the drive interface bandwidth, so in RAM limited scenarios, the Playstation 5 should have the advantage... And in 10 years time, these consoles WILL be DRAM limited.

13.5GB available for games isn't allot of Ram in 2020. It's going to be extremely tiny by 2030...

The SSD will make up for that, just like mechanical hard drives in the Xbox One and Playstation 4... But they only help mitigate a problem, not resolve it entirely.

For sheer visual fidelity at this stage, the Xbox Series X has the clear advantage due to more known functional units, maybe 20%, maybe 10%. Need more low-level information on the hardware to know by how much and what scenarios they relate to.

I would assume developers will push for visual parity and the difference will just be framerate or resolution.

Either way, whichever console you buy, it will be a good piece of kit.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
curl-6 said:

With the information we have right now... Sony's Playstation 5 handily beats the Xbox Series X when it comes to streaming assets into DRAM due to having twice the drive interface bandwidth, so in RAM limited scenarios, the Playstation 5 should have the advantage... And in 10 years time, these consoles WILL be DRAM limited.

13.5GB available for games isn't allot of Ram in 2020. It's going to be extremely tiny by 2030...

The SSD will make up for that, just like mechanical hard drives in the Xbox One and Playstation 4... But they only help mitigate a problem, not resolve it entirely.

For sheer visual fidelity at this stage, the Xbox Series X has the clear advantage due to more known functional units, maybe 20%, maybe 10%. Need more low-level information on the hardware to know by how much and what scenarios they relate to.

I would assume developers will push for visual parity and the difference will just be framerate or resolution.

Sony seems pretty confident that their SSD's tech will be the heart of next gen gaming, though. It's something that was nr1 on the list of things developers wanted to see in a next gen console and the ps5 has twice the performance in that regard. It could be a complete game changer for overall level design and how we move around in them, and we'll obviously see a lot more open world type games. It sure will be interesting to see what'll happen if 3rd party developers fully embrace it and use the ps5 as the base console.

Also, I wonder how that will translate to the pc versions of those games. I know you always say pc has more ram, but for arguments sake, lets say the average gaming pc can't run games that are optimized for Sony's SSD tech (I mean there has to be a reason why you can't even buy a compatible SSD at this time). It would basically destroy MS's strategy of reaching the average pc gamer with GP. 

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
DonFerrari said:

On that front sure Nintendo is the one that change the most every gen. Still I love the DS layout and every gen the improvements just made me like it more (to the point I feel odd holding even a PS3 controller, but not any Nintendo or Sega controllers since they always changed a lot for me).

I know most Xbox/PS fans are probably quite happy with the ways things are and want it to stay the same, which is way I said I'm just not their target audience any more, but ever since the Wiimote, I want more. But yeah, I feel like I'm dragging this off topic now, sorry.

I'm hoping that there is an official next gen Playstation VR controller which can also be used in non-VR games. Essentially their equivalents of the Joypads. 

DonFerrari said:
Ljink96 said:

Haha, so... that's not how it works. And no way in hell you're going to convince me Sony has more money to burn than freaking Microsoft. As of last year the top companies with the most cash in hand, the top of that list is Microsoft followed by Berkshire Hathaway...Sony is nowhere to be seen on this list. Sony can eat a loss, but it'll hurt them way more than it'll hurt Microsoft. 

Different departments have different budgets, and PS does much better than Xbox, so yes they would have more money to use to ensure they have a lower price to sell more. Even more when MS is moving away from selling HW as their focus and going for service.

They’ve spent tons of money making the most powerful consoles ever two gens in a row now. How in the world are they shifting away from selling consoles 😆 You can prepare quality services for the future AND still want to sell hardware. After all where are people supposed to use GamePass.

I predicted Sony would have the stronger box, I was wrong. Releasing this right after MS did a deep dive to me said they wanted to one up MS. But as soon as Cerny started running damage control on how it was fine to have less CU’s and lower TFLOP I knew they were going to put out a weaker machine.

Will be interesting to see how the imbalanced CPU/GPU setup will affect games. DF guys have some detailed posts about it on Reeeee. If a game is CPU intensive then the GPU will be affected. If a game is using the GPU then the CPU is affected. Either one affects performance. Apparently devs can use a CPU or GPU mode to help the console performance. But what happens if a game needs to utilize both? Seems the performance gap gets even wider the more devs take advantage of PS5 power. Bizarre.

Can’t wait to see the prices.

Pemalite said:
curl-6 said:

Yep I don't think 10-20% will be enough to ensure anyone is pushing for more effects or the like so it will be on pixel count. And for games that are both 4K either no difference or the devs will choose some effect or another to use the performance gap.

LudicrousSpeed said:
DonFerrari said:

Different departments have different budgets, and PS does much better than Xbox, so yes they would have more money to use to ensure they have a lower price to sell more. Even more when MS is moving away from selling HW as their focus and going for service.

They’ve spent tons of money making the most powerful consoles ever two gens in a row now. How in the world are they shifting away from selling consoles 😆 You can prepare quality services for the future AND still want to sell hardware. After all where are people supposed to use GamePass.

When MS is pretty open saying their competition is Google and Amazon, they have Play Anywhere, XCloud, etc. So it is pretty clear their focus is changing to service, that doesn't mean they don't want to sell the HW. And making the most powerful HW doesn't really mean you want to sell the most, X1X didn't and depending on price XSX also won't. The key word is focus. We need to wait and see to confirm that.

LudicrousSpeed said:
I predicted Sony would have the stronger box, I was wrong. Releasing this right after MS did a deep dive to me said they wanted to one up MS. But as soon as Cerny started running damage control on how it was fine to have less CU’s and lower TFLOP I knew they were going to put out a weaker machine.

Will be interesting to see how the imbalanced CPU/GPU setup will affect games. DF guys have some detailed posts about it on Reeeee. If a game is CPU intensive then the GPU will be affected. If a game is using the GPU then the CPU is affected. Either one affects performance. Apparently devs can use a CPU or GPU mode to help the console performance. But what happens if a game needs to utilize both? Seems the performance gap gets even wider the more devs take advantage of PS5 power. Bizarre.

The video was recorded much earlier than MS release of information. So it was they explaining their route (sure they could already be expecting to have less CUs so where trying to say why it was better)

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

LudicrousSpeed said:

I think Sony's SSD tech will be a game changer, but they sure did a piss poor job on the presentation though. Sony obviously didn't want people to compare Tflops, but that's exactly what everybody is doing now lol. They should have shown something of a game concept to explain what the SSD stuff actually means for game development and why they're putting so much of a focus on it. Now everybody will just see 10 vs 12Tflops and ps5 having a smaller SSD... But I agree, prices will tell us the whole tale.

Last edited by goopy20 - on 19 March 2020