By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What generation has been your favorite so far for consoles?

What generation has been your favorite so far for consoles?

First Generation - Color ... 4 0.45%

Second Generation - Atari... 5 0.56%

Third Generation - NES, S... 31 3.46%

Fourth - Super Nintendo, ... 133 14.83%

Fifth - Playstation, Nint... 165 18.39%

Sixth - Playstation 2, Xb... 217 24.19%

Seventh - Nintendo Wii, P... 137 15.27%

Eighth - Playstation 4, N... 186 20.74%

None - Handheld gamer only 7 0.78%

None - PC gamer only 12 1.34%

Total:897

I'm feeling sad cause I had to skip all 7th gen :x, from 2010 to 2017 I just didn't played any console game, only some PC free games and the handheld games I played on Nintendo DS. I reentered in gaming world very late in 8th/current gen (could only buy a 3DS once I got a paid job so yeah, very late).

I'm also familiar with some (many) 4th gen titles from Sega, Game Boy and SNES because they were all very classic and had many versions for late consoles, though I could play SNES and Megadriver myself because my had both neighbor and I used to rent them. I still thinking my knowledge and experience from those gens (4th and 8th) are pretty limited 

But I followed very religiously the end of 5th generation (Playstation 1, Nintendo 64) and almost all 6th gen thanks to PS2, even if I was a child back then. Ngl only got a PS2 in 2004 (it was released in my country in 2002 only) and completely ignored 7th gen existence until a friend show me a kinect when I went to college in 2013 I guess. 

Both were 5th and 6th were awesome for me and I have a huge nostalgia to PS1 games

I still have to choose 6th though thanks for PS2. I remember playing God of The War for the first time, what a game! And this shit played all my PS1 games plus my DVDs as well. I'm very attached to it cause I needed to survive with PS2 only for like 6 years until I finished my first gaming life cycle (I stopped console gaming as soon I hit adolescence)

Last edited by IcaroRibeiro - on 15 March 2020

Around the Network

What ever generation the Amiga fits in.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

The 7th; it's the only generation I can think of where all the major competitors were great.

The Wii revolutionized gaming with the introduction of motion controls; a new, exciting, and fun way to play, plus offered an amazing catalog of first party titles like Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Metroid Prime 3, and Xenoblade Chronicles, plus one of Nintendo's best post-SNES third party lineups with the likes of Monster Hunter Tri, Rayman Origins, Silent Hill Shattered Memories, Goldeneye 007, COD World at War/Modern Warfare 1 + 3/Black Ops, de Blob 1 & 2, No More Heroes 1 & 2, Red Steel 2, etc.

The 360 offered spectacular blockbusters a plenty with the likes of Halo and Gears plus the best console version of most of the gen's many awesome multiplats such as Bioshock, Mass Effect, and Bayonetta. It may have lacked good motion controls, but it still has in my opinion the most comfortable conventional controller to date.

Finally, the PS3 offered up stunning exclusives of its own with games like the Uncharted and Resistance trilogies.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 16 March 2020

sixth generation, mostly because of Dreamcast, it was the most fun I had with a console in 30 years.

I'm torn between 5th and 6th gen, because on the one side, 5th gen provided and got me into games like Resident Evil and Final Fantasy, while 6th gen got me into games like Guitar Hero, and I'll always cherish those sessions with friends. Also GTA SA was baller on 6th gen.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

Gen 6. It had the Xbox, MS's best console with many great exclusives. The PS2, which had the best library of any console, pretty much the golden age for any competent video game developer. As well as the Gamecube, which was a great Nintendo console with some of the best games as well.

It holds 16/50 of my top games, with most of them near the top. If we start including PC games released around that time, things get even more lopsided.

My generation ranking: 8 > 6 > 5 > 4 > 3 > 7 > 2 > 1

7th! The games were great... But so was the Drama!

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

The newest gen will always be the best. Consoles and games become more elaborate and impressive as time goes by. Nostalgia can't keep up with that.

I picked the 5th above as that's what I grew up on. I loved the N64 and to this day I am predominantly a Nintendo gamer because of that console. I even have nostalgia for the PS1 despite not owning one till much later. And the Saturn has now become a console I love with so many games i'm discovering that I never even knew about at the time.

If I was being objective though, and not just going with my heart, i'd probably pick either the 4th or 6th Generation. They both had 4 quality console offerings and got their respective dimensions right - 4th Gen is the golden era for 2D gaming and 6th Gen is when we'd finally got past that awkward early 3D gaming. I'd maybe give a slight edge to the 4th because the console war between SNES and Megadrive is the best we ever had. Both consoles were excellent and offered their own different library of games - plus they're still really fun to this day!

Full ranking would be: 4th > 6th > 5th > 7th > 3rd > 8th > 2nd > 1st

Last edited by gord352 - on 16 March 2020