By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What generation has been your favorite so far for consoles?

What generation has been your favorite so far for consoles?

First Generation - Color ... 4 0.45%

Second Generation - Atari... 5 0.56%

Third Generation - NES, S... 31 3.46%

Fourth - Super Nintendo, ... 133 14.83%

Fifth - Playstation, Nint... 165 18.39%

Sixth - Playstation 2, Xb... 217 24.19%

Seventh - Nintendo Wii, P... 137 15.27%

Eighth - Playstation 4, N... 186 20.74%

None - Handheld gamer only 7 0.78%

None - PC gamer only 12 1.34%

Total:897

Third (NES, Mastersystem etc).

The magic, simplicity (no 20 min loading times like from the affordable hom cumpters of the time) and affordability made it magic. You even played games that are objctivley crap just because there really wasn’t anything like it before and it wasn’t as crude as the Atari VCS 2600.

Also I was a kid back then and it was my first big exposure to video games. I actually got a Commodre 128 around the same time and even if I played it a lot I played NES more and have more fond memories of it (also Mastersystem is an underrated system).

Around the Network

Seventh for sure. Best rpgs of any gen.

I've been gaming since the early 80s but I didn't get my own console until the NES in 1988.

Gen 3 and earlier was too crude and, despite a few gems, I can't go back to that. Even games I loved as a kid like Super Mario 3 don't have the same luster.

Gen 4, the SNES was the only system I had. It was fantastic and had some classics that I still enjoy. 

Gen 5, again was too crude. Mostly unplayable for me today outside of the rare 2D games. I owned an N64 and a PS1.

Gen 6 is about as far back as I can play. I owned everything except the original Xbox and I have some good memories but the games have aged pretty badly. The graphics are decent enough but devs were still figuring out camera controls a lot of the time.

Gen 7 was when it all came together. Great graphics, even by today's standards. Great 2D and 3D gaming. Story telling and acting reached a level that wasn't embarrassing. Online finally hit the mainstream. I bought every console and I probably play games from that era more than I play newly released games.

8th gen, for me, was mostly 7 gen with better performance. Not enough classics. It's like I couldn't buy enough games last generation to satisfy my hunger. This gen, despite owning everything again, I often go weeks if not months between new game purchases. I often don't finish the games I buy--and yet I have the time and passion to completely replay 7th gen titles. Not to mention that poor business practices (that I admit began in the 7th gen) got taken to a whole new level this gen. VR has been a blessing but a lot of the novelty has worn off. Probably due to a lack of "must own" content.

Gen 9? Not even sure when or if I'm jumping in. Not on day one, that's for sure. Unless you count the Switch. Then, day one.

TL;DR: Gen 7 was the best.

Last edited by d21lewis - on 15 March 2020

Fifth was my most played generation. Countless hours slamming mountain dew and playing 2 to 4 player Golden Eye, Mario Kart, Diddy Kong Racing, Mario Party, Bomberman, Wave Race, NBA Hangtime, Wayne Gretzky Hockey, and all the amazing wrestling games at the time. Not to mention some of my favorite single player games of all time. And that's not even counting the many amazing Playstation 1 games I didn't get a chance to play until years later when I bought a PS2. Mario 64 and Wave Race 64 were the first two games that dropped my jaw how beautiful they looked compared to what had come before them, the other that generation being the first Resident Evil when I saw it at a friends house.

My favorite console is the NES and I love the Master System as well, so I have to go with the 3rd gen. The 7th gen is close. Just so many great new IPs and amazing sequels to already established ones. Also if we consider the Switch current gen, then that and the PS4 are just incredible consoles.

Around the Network

I voted for 2nd generation, I loved it. Mattel intellivision was my first gaming console, when most of members here have not even born yet :d
My most favourite games were Advanced dangeons&dragons, Happy Trial, sea battle, tennis, golf, Beam rider, autoracing, burger time, Lock ‘N’ Chase, Soccer, and many others.

PSX and PS4 are a very close runner-up.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

I voted for 8th gen, mostly because of the Switch. Three incredibly awesome games released in the past three years (BotW, DQXI S, FE: 3H), a lot of other great games, plus most of Nintendo's classic arcade library is now available for the first time. I also felt like 8th gen redeemed video games after 7th gen disappointed me so much until its last couple of years.

Was almost tempted to vote for first generation. I mean, who could argue with the most awesome light gun in video game history?

Seventh seems to be the best on a market and audience perspective. There were about 500 million units sold between DS, PSP, 360, Wii, and PS3, The vast majority of my gaming from the seventh gen is the Wii and DS. I played some 360, a little PS3, and no PSP.
If I have to pick a favorite: Eighth Generation. If you count Switch in there, then that makes my case further (Breath of the Wild, Odyssey, SSB Ultimate, Three Houses). Even without the Switch you still have a variety of fantastic games on PS4, 3DS, and even some on Wii U. I didn't mention Xbox One because I don't have one and there are virtually no true exclusives.
Gen Eight Faves: Fire Emblem: Awakening, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Stardew Valley, Marvel's Spider-Man. And if you count Switch; The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Fire Emblem: Three Houses
On this generation talk, I would label each generation as this...
1st: Dedicated Consoles
2nd: Cartridge Games
3rd: 8-bit Era
4th: 16-bit Era
5th: Early 3D Era
6th: 128-bit Era
7th: Largest Market Generation
8th: HD Generation

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

I'm torn between the fourth gen, when pixels graphics peaked and we got lots and lots of beautiful games, and the sixth, when 3D games started to become beautiful and consoles were powerful enough to allow the start of the open world games.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Fourth of course. The SNES alone is - for me- the single best home console ever, with just too many fantastic games to boast about.

Sixth and eight gens would come second.