By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Building a PC and need suggestions *UPDATE: Choosen it*

Tagged games:

What should i do?

Play LoD once again 1 20.00%

Go for 1 1 20.00%

Go for 2 1 20.00%

Mix 1 and 2, I left a comment 0 0%

Forget it, see my comment 0 0%

Become a youtuber 0 0%

Mine bitcoins very slowly 0 0%

Buy a laptop that can barely run Word 0 0%

Your phone is enough 0 0%

Pet my cats 2 40.00%

Total:5

You don't need Nvme ssd unless you are doing something other than gaming. Regular ssd is good enough. Save the monies and put it towards other more important parts.

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
m0ney said:

I don't know why you want to buy a 580/1660 if you won't be playing demanding games, you could buy something like a used Geforce 960/AMD 280 and save a lot of money, or you could buy an AMD APU (3400G?).

Personally if I wasn't a gamer I'd buy a barebone mini PC like Zotac Zbox, they are cheap, small, quiet, consume almost no power but are powerful for everyday tasks, you just have to throw in RAM and SSD.

He will be using CAD programs so a mini PC is absolutely not an option.

Zotac has ZBoxes with Geforce 2080, 32GB of Ram and 6-core 9th gen Intel processors... Pretty beastly pieces of kit for the size.

https://www.zotac.com/us/product/mini_pcs/magnus-en72080v-barebone

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

SpokenTruth said:
Pemalite said:

Zotac has ZBoxes with Geforce 2080, 32GB of Ram and 6-core 9th gen Intel processors... Pretty beastly pieces of kit for the size.

https://www.zotac.com/us/product/mini_pcs/magnus-en72080v-barebone

I should have qualified "a mini PC in his budget range is not an option".

As awesome as that Zotac box is, that $1,899 price is not.

All ZBox models seem to either be discontinued or out of stock anyway. Are they replacing this product line?

I think so. I think there is a push to increase the amount of AMD products in the stack.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

SpokenTruth said:
m0ney said:

I don't know why you want to buy a 580/1660 if you won't be playing demanding games, you could buy something like a used Geforce 960/AMD 280 and save a lot of money, or you could buy an AMD APU (3400G?).

Personally if I wasn't a gamer I'd buy a barebone mini PC like Zotac Zbox, they are cheap, small, quiet, consume almost no power but are powerful for everyday tasks, you just have to throw in RAM and SSD.

If you want a reasonable CAD/CAM experience, you need a dedicated CPU and GPU. A Ryzen G Series APU will work, most of the time, but the experience will be quite poor. Our 2400G with 16GB DDR4 RAM runs my bro's CAM program about as well as our old Intel Q6600 quad core with 4GB DDR2 and a GeForce GT630 2GB.

SpokenTruth said:
Pemalite said:

I think so. I think there is a push to increase the amount of AMD products in the stack.

That would certainly help their market reach with a lower retail price. But the AMD thermals in that little box though.

AMD CPU's for now with Nvidia GPU's would be an option, at least until RDNA 2 silicon is available.

BraLoD said:
Pemalite said:

That will be fine. What have you nailed your components down to exactly? Just so we can see your current line of thinking.

Basically the setup 2.

I took into account considering switching seagate for western digital for the HDD, but aside from that the Setup 2 seems like what I would like to go for.

I fear if I stick with the RX 580 instead of the GTX 1660s based on the price difference (~$80) I'll end up regreting it down the road.

Do you think 500W would be enough for Setup 2? 550W is getting some bad pricing right now compared to 450/500.

If I can save the buck on it and get a RAM discount I may be willing to go for 1660s instead of the RX 580 alright.

Just to round up better again, here is it.

Motherboard: ASUS Prime B450M Gaming

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

GPU: Asus TUF3 GTX 1660 Super

RAM: 2x Adata XPG D41/D60 8GB DDR4 3000MHz

HDD: Western Digital Purple 2TB

SSD: Adata XPG Gammix S11 Pro 240GB

Power Supply: EVGA 550W (or 500W if it won't be a problem)

2 coolers in front and 1 fan in the top and on the back to get rid of the hot air.

For screen I'll just plug it into my TV for the time being (Sony X900F)

I'm also considering buying a cheap mechanic keyboard, if you have any suggestions, if none of the cheap ones are good I don't mind getting a normal one instead.

BraLoD said:
Pemalite said:

* Geforce 1660 is the faster GPU. It is a superior choice to the Radeon RX 580.
* 500W is fine for a 1660 and a Ryzen 5 3600.
* Try and opt for 3200Mhz Ram... And 16GB of the stuff.
* Western Digital Blue is a better choice, it's firmware is better suited to more random reads/writes over the Purples which are better suited to sequentials.

Stoga Mechanical Keyboards are good budget options... But honestly, if you can get by with a cheapo... And spend that bit extra on RAM or CPU or GPU, that is the option I would take.

Cooling looks fine.

green_sky said:
You don't need Nvme ssd unless you are doing something other than gaming. Regular ssd is good enough. Save the monies and put it towards other more important parts.

Thanks guys, I settled for Setup 2 as the GTX 1660S got a discount today xD
I know I don't need it now, but I feel a lot better covered up if I change my mind about gaming on it, and about not needing to mess with it anymore for a long time.

Nice parts list. If you got a little extra to spend now and it won't be a problem, then no reason to wait unless you know some type of sale is coming up soon. With potential product shortages or price hikes due to Covid, now's not the worst time if you need a PC sooner than later.

The XPG NVMe drives are quick. I was looking at the same drive you have just 512GB, but ended up going with the XPG 8200 Pro since it's reviews and benchmarks showed it was a little faster overall and was only $10 more. My mobo also came with a large SSD heatsink which my SSD doesn't have, where as the Gammix S11 has a decent stock heatsink.

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
EricHiggin said:

AMD CPU's for now with Nvidia GPU's would be an option, at least until RDNA 2 silicon is available.

It's the AMD CPUs I'm talking about being thermally tougher to manage.

Ryzen isn't like past AMD CPU arch's that were power chuggers and miniature oven's. Intel's desktop Core Series just keeps getting worse power efficiency and thermals gen after gen.

SpokenTruth said:
EricHiggin said:

Ryzen isn't like past AMD CPU arch's that were power chuggers and miniature oven's. Intel's desktop Core Series just keeps getting worse power efficiency and thermals gen after gen.

Nevermind.  I just read the specs on that ZBox and it uses Intel mobile CPU's not desktop.  Hence my thermal concern for high end AMD CPUs being used.

Ah. I didn't notice the H part. Good eye. Even though 65W is seen as high for some of the Ryzen CPU's, that's still probably too much to compete with Intel's 45W mobile CPU's. Ryzen mobile hasn't been great until the recent 4000 Series, and those are just hitting the market, so maybe we could see a few of those CPU's in Zbox's sometime this year. More likely next year though as most companies have waited at least a year to let AMD products prove themselves before jumping on board.

Your initial point was solid. I thought most mini PC's were still considered desktops, especially considering the RTX 2080 here. My mistake.

SpokenTruth said:
EricHiggin said:

Ah. I didn't notice the H part. Good eye. Even though 65W is seen as high for some of the Ryzen CPU's, that's still probably too much to compete with Intel's 45W mobile CPU's. Ryzen mobile hasn't been great until the recent 4000 Series, and those are just hitting the market, so maybe we could see a few of those CPU's in Zbox's sometime this year. More likely next year though as most companies have waited at least a year to let AMD products prove themselves before jumping on board.

Your initial point was solid. I thought most mini PC's were still considered desktops, especially considering the RTX 2080 here. My mistake.

Same here.  I saw the RTX 2080 and thought, "Desktop GPU...likely desktop CPU as well." Makes me wonder if the RTX 2080 is the mobile variant or not.  I can't fine it specifically listed though.

Nothing official anyway. I skimmed a few reviews and found other ZBox versions and the 1080 and 2080 models are either mobile or the "desktop laptop version" apparently. Whatever that means exactly. Max Q perhaps? They did mention the desktop GPU version is upgradable though.

Doesn't really matter. Even though the Intel H part details were there, I missed them. I would have checked more closely if I knew the 2080 was mobile though. Should have paid more attention regardless. 

Either way, I wouldn't buy this, no matter the exact specs, lol.

SpokenTruth said:

Right.

A bit offtopic but 5 years ago I 'built' a cheap Zotac Zbox B-series for my employee who makes basic stuff in CorelDraw. It is Zbox BI320 with a mobile dual core Haswell Celeron and mysterious Intel HD graphics (no other description is available lol). I threw in 2x4 GB RAM and 120GB SSD, Windows 10 and everything works super fast on it. The current B-series have already 4 core Celeron N4100 which is 50% to 100% faster. Ever since I have been dreaming of using it at home as my main 'rig', if only I wasn't a gamer.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Dude, why didn't you wait till Nvidia and AMD dropped their new gpu's later this year?!