By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rumor: Xbox "Lockhart" specs leaked, is $300

The price is tempting.... I could see alot of xbox users going for lockhart.
Not everyone cares about 4k gameing or best of best visuals.

ofc this is all just rumors right? lets wait until we actually see announcements of price ect.

Around the Network
DialgaMarine said:
Personally, I don’t see the point in having a lower end console like this if they already have the XB1X, and plan to keep putting games on last gen hardware for the next couple years anyways. Probably be smarter to just cut the price of X and develop on that as the lower end console, if they absolutely need a lower end.

1) MS has already given a general idea of how long X1/X1X support will continue from them.

2) Developers are already or will eventually make 9th gen exclusives. Even X1X users would be neglected in that scenario.

3) Lockhart would exist as a device that's easy to support along with Series X and PS5. In the coming years developers will begin creating/completing projects that use 9th gen as the lead, therefore supporting 8th gen specs will become more difficult. If the only significant disparity in Lockhart vs Series X or PS5 is GPU, then it will be easy to support. That generally just means lower resolutions and/or visual settings for Lockhart.

4) We suspect PS5 might be north of $399, Series X will be even higher than that. If Lockhart does exist for $299 and plays the same games, that's a big deal. People who simply want a low cost option to 9th gen content while still getting a significant visual upgrade over X1 and PS4 may go for that.

5) Last, Lockhart would exist as the cheap option for the entire gen. As Series X and PS5 go down in price, Lockhart could drop to $199 eventually.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Maybe i missed something but what is the point of this console? Is it going to be current gen or next gen?

think-man said:
Maybe i missed something but what is the point of this console? Is it going to be current gen or next gen?

It’s next gen, but would be the baseline console. Lower end that sacrifices resolution for lower price. Not everybody has a 4K setup or a big tv screen to care enough for series X.

If true MS can boast they have power and price at the same time which helps in the PR department. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

SvennoJ said:
shikamaru317 said:

Original rumors were that it would have the same 1 TB SSD as Series X. I doubt they'd go smaller, since it's digital only and even 1 TB will fill up fast with next gen file sizes, and I also doubt they'll go larger if they're aiming for $300. 

1TB SSD, that's at least a 3rd of the cost of the entire console. Considering it gets the same RAM and CPU, that seems too much. But the current SAD also has 1TB. Larger indeed not likely. Perhaps storage sold separately, who knows.

Also this extra version could impact availability of the big boy now the corona virus is affecting production. It might be better to postpone Lockhart. I imagine early adopters won't be interested in a 4Tf version.

If MS has an idea of the size of games at the moment, it's possible 500GB could be viable. I am no expert but maybe due to the significantly faster CPU and storage, developers could utilize compression while still allowing games to load faster. Either they do that or potentially take a hit on storage space.

Having a significantly cheaper Lockhart on the market could also increase the the number of early adopters. I mean it will play 9th gen games and is a significant upgrade over base consoles, so it will still be impressive for the average 8th gen user.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
think-man said:

It’s next gen, but would be the baseline console. Lower end that sacrifices resolution for lower price. Not everybody has a 4K setup or a big tv screen to care enough for series X.

If true MS can boast they have power and price at the same time which helps in the PR department. 

It's worth considering that image reconstruction techniques will help a lower power device like this. DF has been looking at DLSS for example which seems to turn native 1080p into a rather convincing 4K image. But even without that, a 1080p image with good post processing effects is good enough for most.

Recently Completed

Radek said:

I'd much rather it kept 4K Blu-Ray since millions of people have physical Xbox One games.

Even if it costs $399.

Right, its not for everybody.

However, I don't really care about my physical Xbox One collection. Most content I own physically I've repurchased digitally when its like $5-10. That becomes a more significant problem when you own physical content that isn't available digitally.

Personally, I'm pretty sure I will buy a Series X at launch. But if I could get access to the same content for maybe $200+ less and I don't care that much about resolution, a Series S doesn't seem like a bad choice.

Recently Completed

shikamaru317 said:
think-man said:

Next gen. Rumors suggest all specs are nearly the same as Xbox Series X, except for the GPU, which is about 3X weaker. It's designed to play next-gen games at 1080p, while Series X is designed to play them at 4K/2160p. 

Which is a shame, since it closes the door on 1080p30 games that truly look a generation ahead with every GPU cycle used to create the best effects or most complex scenery. Of course the base version could run with basic lighting or 640p :/ It was kinda disappointing this gen that the pro consoles were pretty much only used for higher resolution. Why now already start with that with the base console.

From my PC days, yep a better GPU will run the same game in higher resolution and better fps. However a slower GPU won't always be able to actually make the game playable at lower resolution. Last gen there was all this talk about balance in the consoles. How can it be balanced with 3x the difference in GPU while the rest is the same. It just gives me the same feeling as the existence of the pro and X do now. The premium consoles won't get utilized to its fullest potential while the base versions struggle to keep up as time goes on.

Going from XBox One X to Lockhart, can't be called a generational leap. Sure it's more efficient, but it's still less of a difference than from XBox One S to XBox One X. And yep, I'm comparing the wrong versions, XBox One S to Lockhart can still be considered a generational leap, however the pro consoles have poisoned the well for a new generation to look like a new generation.

Ryse: Son of Rome was not the best game, but it did look next generation. Same for Killzone Shadowfall (wtf happened with that promising real reflections sound engine) I doubt the bit of ray tracing next gen consoles can do will be as spectacular.

WoodenPints said:
Otter said:

With Microsoft and most third parties likely committed to cross gen for at least 24months, I think Microsoft will have a hard time distinguishing Xbox Series S from X1X. When support for current gen is dropped it'll be much easier but since MS have already said that won't happen for 2 years after Series X launches, so it feels like they should just let those on a budget continue to game on Xbox One or upgrade to Xbox One X which is already $299.

If the price of Lockhart ends up at $299 I doubt the X1X will still be in production in 6 months time they will just cut the production line to next gen and consumers get a newer console for the same price. $150 Xbox One, $299 Lockhart and $499 Series X will be the options on the market.

shikamaru317 said:
Otter said:

With Microsoft and most third parties likely committed to cross gen for at least 24months, I think Microsoft will have a hard time distinguishing Xbox Series S from X1X. When support for current gen is dropped it'll be much easier but since MS have already said that won't happen for 2 years after Series X launches, so it feels like they should just let those on a budget continue to game on Xbox One or upgrade to Xbox One X which is already $299.

Technically his wording was the next 2 years, not the first 2 years of next gen. I think he meant 2020 and 2021 when he said that 1st party games would be cross-gen. I highly doubt we will see cross-gen 1st parties in 2022, that would be insanity, base Xbox One would be acting like a massive paperwight holding back graphics on their 1st party games for far too long into the generation.

Also, like Wooden said above, I suspect they will stop producing new XB1 X's later this year so that they can focus on marketing Series S instead, which they'll be able to offer at the same price as XB1 X, but with a much better CPU and an SSD. 

If Lockhart does exist, and hits the market, the only way XB1X remaining in production while making business sense would be if:

-Lockhart is actually less than 4TF, and is basically a cheaper XB1SAD next gen replacement, just for xCloud streaming.

or

-Lockhart is actually more than 4TF, and will fit right in between XB1X and XBSX, and compete more so with (base) PS5 at around 9TF.

Both make sense to some degree. If MS wants to push streaming, a cheap next gen version is a smart way to gain some momentum early on. If they aren't quite ready for that just yet, they flood the market with XB hardware from $199, $299, $399, and $499. With all consoles playing the newest games for the next two years, cheap Game Pass or All Access, etc, they make it tougher to decide between a PS and MS console due to options.

I still think dropping XB1X and replacing it with Lockhart at 4TF makes the most sense if they are planning to release it at, or around launch. That doesn't mean they couldn't eventually release other XB consoles after that though.

EricHiggin said:
WoodenPints said:

If the price of Lockhart ends up at $299 I doubt the X1X will still be in production in 6 months time they will just cut the production line to next gen and consumers get a newer console for the same price. $150 Xbox One, $299 Lockhart and $499 Series X will be the options on the market.

shikamaru317 said:

Technically his wording was the next 2 years, not the first 2 years of next gen. I think he meant 2020 and 2021 when he said that 1st party games would be cross-gen. I highly doubt we will see cross-gen 1st parties in 2022, that would be insanity, base Xbox One would be acting like a massive paperwight holding back graphics on their 1st party games for far too long into the generation.

Also, like Wooden said above, I suspect they will stop producing new XB1 X's later this year so that they can focus on marketing Series S instead, which they'll be able to offer at the same price as XB1 X, but with a much better CPU and an SSD. 

If Lockhart does exist, and hits the market, the only way XB1X remaining in production while making business sense would be if:

-Lockhart is actually less than 4TF, and is basically a cheaper XB1SAD next gen replacement, just for xCloud streaming.

or

-Lockhart is actually more than 4TF, and will fit right in between XB1X and XBSX, and compete more so with (base) PS5 at around 9TF.

Both make sense to some degree. If MS wants to push streaming, a cheap next gen version is a smart way to gain some momentum early on. If they aren't quite ready for that just yet, they flood the market with XB hardware from $199, $299, $399, and $499. With all consoles playing the newest games for the next two years, cheap Game Pass or All Access, etc, they make it tougher to decide between a PS and MS console due to options.

I still think dropping XB1X and replacing it with Lockhart at 4TF makes the most sense if they are planning to release it at, or around launch. That doesn't mean they couldn't eventually release other XB consoles after that though.

Your first scenario doesn't make much sense. A device just intended to do xCloud would probably just a be a small device like Amazon Fire Stick. That wouldn't be a X1SAD replacement, it would just be something different. The X1SAD at least plays thousands of games natively, supports many popular streaming apps and will support xCloud.

The general consensus is the Lockhart in practice should be as or more powerful than X1X in GPU power even with less TF. I would imagine that's the goal so Lockhart can do BC at X1X quality. Lockhart should be at par with Series X in other specs. Therefore it's essentially a Series X with less GPU power.

xCloud could theoretically thrive on all X1 hardware, PCs, mobile device and TV devices intended for streaming.

If Lockhart is released this holiday, I would imagine the X1X is quickly phased out. So it would likely be X1 devices for $149-199. Lockhart becomes the $299 option.

Recently Completed