By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rumor: Xbox "Lockhart" specs leaked, is $300

I just hope this is fake news. Tflops alone might not paint a full picture but 4Tflops sounds pretty terrible regardless. If next gen games will be targeting 30fps/ 1080p on ps5, wouldn't Lockhart run those games in 720p?

Last edited by goopy20 - on 08 March 2020

Around the Network

4 tflops on RDNA 2 will be more powerful than the 6 tflops on GCN from Xbox one X.

Performance per watt got a huge leap from GCN used on current consoles to RDNA 2. 

goopy20 said:

I just hope this is fake news. Tflops alone might not paint a full picture but 4Tflops sounds pretty terrible regardless. If next gen games will be targeting 30fps/ 1080p on ps5, wouldn't Lockhart run those games in 720p?

Most games will for sure target 1440p at least (4k native for cross gen), but the problem still presents itself in the long run. The same way we've had late gen games Star Wars/ Red Dead Redemption 2 fall as low as 720p on Xbox One, resolution will be pushed further down as we go into the generation and developers push for more visually stunning games. 4TF is not sensible as a base system.

shikamaru317 said:
goopy20 said:

Next-gen games aren't targeting 1080p/30 fps on PS5 though. Both Sony and MS are encouraging developers to aim for 4k/60 fps on PS4 and Series X. MS is encouraging devs to aim for 1080p-1440p/60 fps on Lockhart, most likely 1080p if 4 tflop is real, they'd probably need 6 tflop to reliably hit 1440p on next gen games.

To give you some idea of the fact that it's possible to hit 1080p with 3x less power, take a look at PC benhcmarks:

I wouldn't pay much attention to this at all, MS and Sony have no say. + Microsoft said they consider upscalling 4k as well. All of this will boil down to developers and history is likely to repeat itself, especially with 3rd Parties. Games which target native 4k/60fps will not look as good as games that target 1440p/30fps, so naturally many devs will carefully decide whats more important to the end user.

Games which are not competitive or heavy reflex based will put graphical immersion over 60fps. Open world games will put environmental detail and density over resolution.

Ironically even Microsofts Hellblade 2 Tech showcase was 30fps and sub 4k.

Microsoft intended Xbox One as a 1080p machine but you can probably count the 3rd parties titles that hit 1080p on one hand. 

Around the Network

Also dynamic resolution is will be the norm.

Leynos said:

Keep your SAD editions. Physical all the way! Why should someone buy this if they have a PC?

I’d argue the buyers are a completely different market. Lockhart seems a mass market console comprised of gamers who don’t game on pc. Or a cheap secondary console for gamers not willing to fully invest in the Xbox ecosystem. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Honestly at that price point I might get the Series S over Series X. I haven't bought a physical game for my Xbox One in years anyway.

victor83fernandes said:
Pemalite said:

You are way to focused on teraflops.
Even at 4 teraflops it should still be significantly faster than the Xbox One X in graphics duties.

You can't even compare it with the same architecture.

You get a GPU of the same "name" like the Geforce 1030 for example... Even at the same "Teraflops" the DDR4 variant will be half the speed of the GDDR5 variant.

You're missing the point, Microsoft NEEDS to compete with playstation, they wouldn't launch a much weaker console, unless they want to come in 3rd place yet again for the 3rd time. In fact that would be free advertising for sony, it would be all over gaming news and word of mouth that ps5 is way more powerful, everyone would just pay a bit more and get the ps5.

Maybe thats what microsoft wants, I get a feeling they've been wanting to quit gaming consoles for a long time now, they aren't even trying anymore.

You post like Series X isn’t a thing. If this is true, MS offering both ends of the spectrum. Price and power. 

And not likely...more consoles sold = more potential GP subscribers 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

jason1637 said:
Honestly at that price point I might get the Series S over Series X. I haven't bought a physical game for my Xbox One in years anyway.

Honestly I buy games I find special enough to display, like Doom and Halo. The rest are purely digital. We slowly weaning off it year by year. 

The PC master race evolved and transcended physical media years ago, I say we console peasants are finally catching up ;)