By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I don't think people understand Final Fantasy 7 Remake's battle system; Let's talk about it.

I think this topic merits its own thread.

The classic Final Fantasy 7 uses the "Active Time Battle" system; A real time battle system that removes the need to worry about movement and position. Final Fantasy 7 remake use this same battle system but it in corporates the the movement and position elements. What a lot of you don't understand is that this is NOT Kingdom Hearts, Tales or Star Ocean, YOU are still mostly in control of you team... JUST LIKE THE ORIGINAL GAME. Remake still employs a command based system (not an auto battle like Kingdom Hearts, Tales and Star):

When you are fighting a bunch of out of range enemies you are expected to switch to Barret as each character has their own strengths and weakness. When you want Tifa to heal you or use an item, you are expected to give her the command to do so like the... Original. The battle system is an evolution of the classic ATB system. Its a real time battle system that maintains the command based system of original ... I though that everybody wanted that!? Now I'm reading "How come this game is not like Kingdom Hearts, Tales, and Star Ocean where A.I does everything for you?" Everybody said they did not want a button mashy action game? An A.I that auto attacks perfectly and use items perfectly means all YOU  has to do is ....BUTTON MASH.

This battle system is literally take the classic and make movement and position a thing and yall asking for Kingdom Hearts, Tales, and Star Ocean.

Around the Network

"Not understanding" is a bit rude, imho. I understand and simply don't like it.  Personal preference and all that.

Is this really a topic for discussion? Are people having issues with this?
Its literally the same old mechanics, plus the added bonus of movement. I dont see what the issue is.
Personally, im loving it. But to each his own.

Chrkeller said:

"Not understanding" is a bit rude, imho. I understand and simply don't like it.  Personal preference and all that.

No its not. There is quite a bit of evidence of that a lot of you went in expecting Kingdom Hearts. If you understand it but still dont like ... fine, but those people are not being addressed. 

Jpcc86 said:
Is this really a topic for discussion? Are people having issues with this?
Its literally the same old mechanics, plus the added bonus of movement. I dont see what the issue is.
Personally, im loving it. But to each his own.

You might wanna go read demo impression thread my guy. Yea your right though.

Around the Network

I played the demo and didn't love the AI. My disappointment in the battle system isn't because I don't understand it, but rather I didn't like it. The lack of AI detracts from the game and the constant pausing slows the game down. People understand, we just don't agree with your opinion. And for some reason people take issue with differing opinions.

Does it matter if people "play it wrong" or simply don't like it? Why do you care so much?

I've only seen a couple of people complain, mostly the combat is being heavily praised. There have been issues with the camera which can also be fixed in the settings menu.

Chrkeller said:
I played the demo and didn't love the AI. My disappointment in the battle system isn't because I don't understand it, but rather I didn't like it. The lack of AI detracts from the game and the constant pausing slows the game down. People understand, we just don't agree with your opinion. And for some reason people take issue with differing opinions.

I saw you comment in the other thread. Remember that people critiqued FFXII's gambit system for taking all control away. I enjoyed the game but it had no mid combat strategy.

Not enjoying issuing commands or switching character is fine, but if say we it detracts from the game as if an objective flaw as oppose to a design choice then it sounds like some of you dont understand.

But I'm sure as the game progresses and combat gets more difficult there will more options for ai control, just as gambits also progressed in XII.

Otter said:
Chrkeller said:

I saw you comment in the other thread. Remember that people critiqued FFXII's gambit system for taking all control away. I enjoyed the game but it had no mid combat strategy.

Not enjoying issuing commands or switching character is fine, but if say we it detracts from the game as if an objective flaw as oppose to a design choice then it sounds like some of you dont understand.

But I'm sure as the game progresses and combat gets more difficult there will more options for ai control, just as gambits also progressed in XII.

No, we understand.  I thought pausing the action in order to have Barrett heal was a distraction, especially since healing was common sense.  Never claimed it was an objective flaw, I simply stated it was a flaw in my opinion.  

Though I find it odd: my stance is the AI needs options, I'm being told I lack understanding for wanting options, yet in the same breath I am being told options will be added as the game progresses.....  quite a paradox there.  

Either way, nobody should EVER take my opinion and pretend I am claiming it as fact.  Some people like the difficulty of Souls, some don't.  Some like BotW having weapons breaking easily, some don't.  At the end of the day, regardless if a gameplay element is a design choice, people ultimately have their own independent opinions on how they feel about said gameplay element.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 03 March 2020