By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best graphics from 7th gen

curl-6 said:
sales2099 said:
I didn’t play Wii or PS3, so I can’t comment. But any answer for 360 other then Halo 4 requires a detailed explanation for me ;)

To this day I’m amazed a 2005 console can do what Halo 4 showed, it made Halo 3 look like Halo 1

Well, as someone who chose another game, (Gears Judgement) I guess my explanation would be that as amazing as Halo 4 looks (and it also blows my mind that 2005 hardware can pull of either game) Judgement had more detailed textures while maintaining equally as great lighting.

I've spent a lot of time with both of these games and I give the edge to Halo 4 partly because of its scale and gorgeous art direction. Also the cutscene graphics looked acceptable for 8th gen, amazing detail for the time.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
curl-6 said:

Well, as someone who chose another game, (Gears Judgement) I guess my explanation would be that as amazing as Halo 4 looks (and it also blows my mind that 2005 hardware can pull of either game) Judgement had more detailed textures while maintaining equally as great lighting.

I've spent a lot of time with both of these games and I give the edge to Halo 4 partly because of its scale and gorgeous art direction. Also the cutscene graphics looked acceptable for 8th gen, amazing detail for the time.

Scale's on Halo 4's side, but perhaps as a result of that I found Gears Judgement (and 3) had a greater degree of fine texture detail.

Motorstorm looked so so impressive on the ps3 back in 2007(Australia) so I’d have to give one to that!

I'd like to add another Wii game to my list! Originally I had Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Red Steel 2. Both fantastic looking games, but one game I've forgotten about was The Conduit. The game looked surprisingly good for a Wii game, and was comparable to early 360 games.

Metallox said:

The techniques they employed in it hide very well the limitations of the console, not to mention that also manage to make it very atmospheric with its watercolor look. Play the game on an emulator on HD, and it becomes a looker. 

Some of the techniques they implore hide the limitations of the console, but others highlight it. I'll show you what I mean:

Looks fine, right? Maybe at first glance, but the low resolution of the Wii creates these muddy textures that almost look like they are ripped out of an N64 game. In addition, when you look off into the distance the geometry is just awful. It seems almost out of place as if you are experiencing partial culling or just extreme LODs. Objects, such as grass that you can cut, stick out like a sore thumb and generally look unnatural. Link himself looks great, the enemies look great too. Lots of poly's, etc. The art style COULD have been fantastic, had it been carried over to the Wii U and bumped up distant geometry and display resolution. 

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Scale's on Halo 4's side, but perhaps as a result of that I found Gears Judgement (and 3) had a greater degree of fine texture detail.

You are right, but I personally factor in Halo 4s draw distance while maintaining its graphical fidelity. Gears J was more close quarters by comparison. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

We are making quite a list here.

Doctor_MG said:
I'd like to add another Wii game to my list! Originally I had Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Red Steel 2. Both fantastic looking games, but one game I've forgotten about was The Conduit. The game looked surprisingly good for a Wii game, and was comparable to early 360 games.

Yeah, The Conduit and its sequel Conduit 2 are probably the two most graphically advanced games on Wii, pushing a ton of effects rarely seen on the system like normal mapping, depth of field, fluid simulation, etc.

There's not as polished or artistically accomplished as the likes of the Galaxy games or Prime 3, but in terms of technology they pushed the system hard.

Depends on which platform you play, If any platform counts, then maybe Skyrim on the xbox one X, or fallout 3 in 4K on the X.

If we mention only played on 7th generation consoles, then maybe Max payne 3 or tomb raider, Uncharted 2 and 3, Last of us. GTA doesn't count as was full of jaggies.

I would say, overall image Tomb Raider, that's the only game I stopped to look at the design of the walls and stuff.

Last edited by victor83fernandes - on 27 February 2020

victor83fernandes said:

It depends if you count the ps4 pro and xbox one X.

Best graphics I've seen were gears of war 5 (considering its open world) running on my X

God of War has better graphics on the pro, but it isn't open world.

Spiderman was also amazing considering its full open world.

Best graphics on a racer was definitely Forza 7 on the X, GT sport was good, but had no content, no single player and not even a quarter of the cars. But I would award best graphics for a racer forza horizon 4 due to being fully open world.

If we talk the base consoles, then for sure the award goes to god of war.

PS - It also depends what you consider graphics, as in, image quality or overall image + animations + technicalities like world simulation then red dead 2 would win for sure with Witcher 3 as a close second. The problem with red dead 2 is I played it on the pro and the overall image is poor, like blurry/foggy, not very sharp.

You're thinking of the 8th gen.

The 7th gen is Wii, Xbox 360, and Playstation 3.