By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best graphics from 7th gen

victor83fernandes said:

It depends if you count the ps4 pro and xbox one X.

Wrong gen so no? Reasonable choices though.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
victor83fernandes said:

Best graphics I've seen were gears of war 5 (considering its open world) running on my X

God of War has better graphics on the pro, but it isn't open world.

Spiderman was also amazing considering its full open world.

Best graphics on a racer was definitely Forza 7 on the X, GT sport was good, but had no content, no single player and not even a quarter of the cars. But I would award best graphics for a racer forza horizon 4 due to being fully open world.

If we talk the base consoles, then for sure the award goes to god of war.

PS - It also depends what you consider graphics, as in, image quality or overall image + animations + technicalities like world simulation then red dead 2 would win for sure with Witcher 3 as a close second. The problem with red dead 2 is I played it on the pro and the overall image is poor, like blurry/foggy, not very sharp.

You're thinking of the 8th gen.

The 7th gen is Wii, Xbox 360, and Playstation 3.

Sorry my mistake, I've changed the post, I don't know how to delete the post so I edited. Thank you for correcting me.

Zkuq said:
victor83fernandes said:

Thank you, I made a mistake, I don't know how I confused it, considering I am very informed about video games, I think I'm getting old :)

victor83fernandes said:
Zkuq said:

Thank you, I made a mistake, I don't know how I confused it, considering I am very informed about video games, I think I'm getting old :)

Nah, it's an easy mistake to make even when you know your stuff.

Metallox said:
PS3: Last of Us

X360: Gears of War 3 and Judgement

Wii: LoZ Skyward Sword

Good choices, Gears 3 on the X actually looks 8th generation. I still need to play skyward sword, I've replayed Wind waker HD, Twilight princess HD and Breath of the wild, and I still haven't picked up skyward sword which I have on the wiiU.

Last of us was a good choice but I personally would give the award to tomb raider just for being more open world, in fact I would still prefer uncharted 2 and 3 because I prefer colour in my games but its just personal opinion.

Around the Network

Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2

Dragon Quest 9

Dragon Quest 5 remake

Rune Factory Frontier

Mario Kart Wii

Xenoblade Chronicles

The World Ends with You

Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney trilogy

Radiant Historia

Hotel Dusk

Monster Hunter Tri

Resident Evil 4 Wii (though, I think this game as a whole is a little overrated, but the Wii added something special to it with IR shooting)

Epic Yarn

Muramasa

Super Paper Mario (one of the most underrated Mario games of all time)

Smooth Moves

and I admit Wii Sports and Just Dance series (lots of drunken fun, the only game I ever played as a dating tool)

Little King's Story

I am sure I've forgotten many, because this is the generation I played the most new games, which is funny considering the Gamecube and Wii U generations are the ones I played the least (I've probably already played Switch multiple times more than both combined).

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

What games from 7th gen (PS3/360/Wii) had the best graphics?

I'll update this post with a list based on your answers.

Playstation 3:

- Beyond: Two Souls

- Final Fantasy XIII

- God of War Ascension

- Grand Theft Auto V

- Gran Turismo 6

- Journey

- Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

- Motorstorm

- Ni No Kuni

- Persona 5

- Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time

- The Last of Us

- Uncharted 3

Xbox 360:

- Alan Wake

- Bastion

- Braid

- Catherine

- Forza Horizon 2

- Gears of War 3

- Gears of War Judgement

- Halo 4

- Red Dead Redemption

- Rise of the Tomb Raider

Wii:

- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

- Donkey Kong Country Returns

- Kirby Epic Yarn

- Metroid: Other M

- Metroid Prime 3

- Monster Hunter Tri

- Punch-Out!!

- Red Steel 2

- Resident Evil 4

- Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles

- Sonic Colors

- Super Mario Galaxy

- Super Mario Galaxy 2

- The Conduit

- The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Multiplatform:

- Battlefield 4

- Child of Light

- Crysis 3

- Grand Theft Auto V

- Limbo

- Max Payne 3

- Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

- Rayman Legends

- Tomb Raider 2013

Great lists, but a few not included yet that I'd add:

PS3: Killzone 3

360: Forza Horizon 1

Wii: Muramasa, Conduit 2, Jett Rocket, Fast Racing League

curl-6 said:

Killzone 3 is definitely up there. I think 2 is arguably a more cohesively consistent game from an art design point of view, but 3 was definitely more advanced technically.

Guerilla Games is one heck of a studio as far as tech and engine are concerned. Not far behind Naughty Dog (which I consider the gold standard on consoles), if at all.

Last edited by Hynad - on 28 February 2020

Hynad said:
curl-6 said:

Killzone 3 is definitely up there. I think 2 is arguably a more cohesively consistent game from an art design point of view, but 3 was definitely more advanced technically.

Guerilla Games is one heck of a studio as far as tech and engine are concerned. Not far behind Naughty Dog (which I consider the gold standard on consoles), if at all.

I'd even say that so far on PS4, GG has outdone ND.

Signature goes here!

I'll do 7th and 8th gen, and whatever Switch is:

7th: Without having given it much thought, my pick goes for The Last of Us. I own PS3 and PS4 versions of this game, and I haven't played the PS3 version for as long as I've owned the PS4 version, so it's possible my memory is flawed, but all of the 7th/8th gen Naughty Dog games were bleeding edge examples of how to best use the hardware at the time. For Wii, I recently played and beat both Mario Galaxy games, the full Metroid Prime Trilogy, and almost finished Skyward Sword (twice), and I think my pick goes to Skyward Sword.

Going into 8th gen, my pick may be for Death Stranding or perhaps Detroit. Red Dead 2 looks great, but it has a lot of visual bugs even still today. I played it again last week to try out the online and I was still having weird issues with my character being lit up from a light source that didn't seem right (and the textures aren't always high res on PS4 Pro at least). Red Dead 2 has such a realistic, massive, open-world area to explore, and the attention to detail is next-level, but best looking game I don't think fits it. There are a lot of really good-looking PS4 games (God of War and Horizon should also be mentioned).

On the Switch (and even on the Wii U), I've always been impressed how Mario Kart 8 runs at 60 FPS 1080p given the detail in pretty much every single one of the tracks, and the number of models on screen at a time. If you want your mind blown, check out the episode of Boundary Break on YT, where they use a hack that allows them to freely control the camera and view the tracks from any angle and distance they like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA1f6jMMu5U