By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Gran Turismo PS5: 4K Resolution is Enough, Looking Into Higher Than 60fps - Kazunori Yamauchi

Tagged games:

What do you think

Yes 2 6.45%

That's to much 3 9.68%

I dont mind the games running at 30 fps 0 0%

Make it 120 fps with 4k with PS4 graphic 3 9.68%

Make it 60 fps 4k with be... 23 74.19%

Total:31
sales2099 said:
Keiji said:

I don't agree with him at all. The games won't even be at 60fps the next gen, only some of them.

You don’t think 4K 60 FPS will be a standard? I mean if the Xbox X can do 4K 30fps I’d like to think the next gen can make it happen 

Devs preffer to use the power to graphics, 60fps have been possible since PS1 or earlier yet they never choose it as standard.

Same will happen next gen, some genres will be mostly 60fps while the majority of games will be 30fps.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
Keiji said:

I don't agree with him at all. The games won't even be at 60fps the next gen, only some of them.

You don’t think 4K 60 FPS will be a standard? I mean if the Xbox X can do 4K 30fps I’d like to think the next gen can make it happen 

No I don't think it will be a standard. There are very few games at native 4K on Xbox X and PS4 Pro. So for next gen the devs will try to have at least native 4K on games and 30fps. It's always been like that in the console world : 30fps was the target for the majority and the rest of the power go to the graphics.

sales2099 said:
Keiji said:

4k 60fps will only be the standard on cross gen games. Xbox1X is rendering games built for Xbox1S specs in mind, similar to how PS4 Pro can only really render remastered like TLOU & Skyrim at native 4k.

The minute devs start releasing titles centred around next gen hardware (many are already making next gen exclusives-Elderscrolls for example), resolution and frame rates will take a hit as they actually look to deliver next gen visuals which are far beyond anything that has run on either Pro or One X.

DonFerrari said:
Otter said:

Spoiler alert. Most games built for next systems will focus on graphics and not even achieve native 4k. 

Still GT for certainty will be 4K on PS5, GTS on PS4Pro is near that already.

I rather have dynamic lighting and weather for all tracks than native 4K. I would settle for 2560x2160 at 60 fps for dynamic weather and day/night cycles. It's all pre-baked lighting now, very pretty but static, causing the game to be over 100 GB already. I race a lot and it would be awesome if one of the race slots would reflect the actual time of day and weather at the track when you enter.

CGI-Quality said:
We will have 4K/60fps next gen, but no, it will not be a standard. Keep expectations in check.

This is where we see how good you are at answering stupid questions, my question is there any benefit from having say 120fps even though the display can't run it,the reason I'm asking is I remember hearing developers talk about certain assets/tech even though they weren't supported being implemented because they still offered some kind of benefit.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network

My question is, when will graphics become so overkill that you can't tell video games from reality anymore(if going for the realistic look) and fps so overkill that any more would just be stupid. And at that point, do new consoles with the same box and controller even need to be released? Or unless someone comes up with a new idea like Ninty often does, just selling the same console work out indefinitely with special editions and replacement of too old to properly work consoles(like laptops) be enough. Or is it too far in the future that by the time we get there, either climate change kills us or internet speed becomes so good that streaming becomes the norm and all improvements are in the background with consumers just using the same service for years on end?

For me, 4k /120fps is the roof. After that is redundant and overkill. But improvements on the models themselves to look better and the environments to look better and more powerful CPUs to make AIs better and that sort of less definable in terms of numbers sort of stuff should be improved and focused on. And if all of that reaches an overkill state, Maybe just focus on giving a compelling narrative and a fun game to play should only be focused on. Another interesting thing would be AI becoming so good and worlds so vast and full of life, the fictional games where you can constantly make your own narrative and keep playing and finding new stories even after years of playing it become a reality, maybe even in VR?

Edit: Maybe someone should make a thread about this?

Last edited by Eagle367 - on 19 February 2020

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

sales2099 said:
Keiji said:

I don't think it will be standard either. Nor do I really want it to be outside of competitive shooters and racing sims.

I'd happily play a single player narrative driven game that looks amazing at 30fps... Unless I can turn it up to 60fps with all the "bells and whistles" in 1440p despite owning a decent 4K tv.

The thing I want next generation is choice.

Eagle367 said:

My question is, when will graphics become so overkill that you can't tell video games from reality anymore(if going for the realistic look) and fps so overkill that any more would just be stupid. And at that point, do new consoles with the same box and controller even need to be released? Or unless someone comes up with a new idea like Ninty often does, just selling the same console work out indefinitely with special editions and replacement of too old to properly work consoles(like laptops) be enough. Or is it too far in the future that by the time we get there, either climate change kills us or internet speed becomes so good that streaming becomes the norm and all improvements are in the background with consumers just using the same service for years on end?

For me, 4k /120fps is the roof. After that is redundant and overkill. But improvements on the models themselves to look better and the environments to look better and more powerful CPUs to make AIs better and that sort of less definable in terms of numbers sort of stuff should be improved and focused on. And if all of that reaches an overkill state, Maybe just focus on giving a compelling narrative and a fun game to play should only be focused on. Another interesting thing would be AI becoming so good and worlds so vast and full of life, the fictional games where you can constantly make your own narrative and keep playing and finding new stories even after years of playing it become a reality, maybe even in VR?

Edit: Maybe someone should make a thread about this?

Human vision limit is about 200 pixels per degree of field of view, light sensitivity from 0.01 lumens to 3,500 lumens (before it gets uncomfortably bright) which is about 38,000 nits, up to 1000 fps and a much wider color gamut than can be displayed today.

Current displays are approaching full DCI-P3 coverage atm and max 2000 nits. (GT Sport is already made for rec.2020 and up to 10,000 nits)

And humans also feel infrared radiation of course, feeling where the sun is adds realism as well. There's still quite a long way to go before we have consoles that can power duel 30K VR headsets at 1000 fps :) (Not that you actually need that since with eye tracking you only need the 2 degree center at max resolution, human detailed vision drops off quickly out of the center however movement and low light detection goes up out of the center)

Have some damn car destruction (sponsors need to get over it) and throw in some new modes like demolition derby and more rally sport like stuff

I am Iron Man

Frankly, I don't believe GT Sport can do 8K on a PS5. That's a massive leap that will require more than 9 or even 12 TF.

A more realistic option is 4K native with some sort of image reconstruction technique that does 8K.

However, I don't think PS5 can do 4K/120 fps either. The best solution seems like user options. Have 4K/60 fps mode or 1440p/120 fps option. We also have to consider some GPU power is going to be used to improve visuals.

My guess is 8K is only gonna be in smaller scale games and old stuff.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)