By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best and worst DLC.

pikashoe said:
JWeinCom said:

I liked the Donkey Kong DLC for Mario and Rabbids but was kind of irked that the only character you could use from the main game was Rabbid peach.  I was really hoping for a chance to use the late game characters like the Yoshis since you didn't have a chance to use them much in the main game.

I don't think measuring value by percentage of characters is a good way to go about things, since this kind of penalizes developers for giving a lot in the main game.  For instance Soul Calibur 6 I believe has the same pricing for their DLC.  But since the game launched with I think 20 characters, you'd be paying 25 dollars for a 25% increase in overall content.  Which would sound like a better deal, but in reality you're getting the same amount of stuff. 

The Thing is soul calibur is likely giving less content for the same price. Smash for 25 is giving 5 characters, 5 stages, 100 music tracks, over 40 spirits and 5 classic routes. While I would rather it be cheaper, i think it is much better value for money compared to other fighting game DLC.

In Soul Calibur, I'm pretty sure that you get at least some stuff for your create a fighters when you buy characters, and I think new routes for whatever their equivalent of classic mode.  Either way though, being a better value than other fighting games doesn't necessarily mean it's a good value.  They could all be ripoffs.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
Worst? Mass Effect 3 True Ending.

Eh, to me that was really more a glorified patch than DLC. If any bit of single-player ME3 DLC is worthy of scorn then it's Omega; most of the other SP DLC packs added something new to the mix, but Omega was focused around a character I never really found interesting, completely wasted the one interesting character it actually did introduce, and the gameplay fell into the same "go from point A to point B, shooting everything along the way, and then make a binary choice at the end" mould as just about every other mission in the base release of ME3.

(And let's not even get into Pinnacle Station from ME1; when the entire content of your DLC is so shallow that one of ME3's DLC packs can incorporate it as a minigame, then you've really screwed up)

worst the games that have so many expansions and DLC that if you want everything you have to pay over 500 dollars.

One that I still can't decide if I love or hate is the Burial at Sea DLC for Bioshock Infinite.

On the one hand, it was cool seeing Rapture before its collapse, more of Infinite's excellent gameplay was welcome, and the additional weapons and powers were cool. 

On the other,

Spoiler!
killing off Elizabeth the way they did felt like such an unworthy end to one of gaming's greatest characters, I really didn't like the way they did that. Where Infinite saw her transform from a helpless victim to an awe-inspiring figure, Burial at Sea took all that away. It also kinda ruins the hauntingly ambiguous ending of Infinite. I feel like the series as a whole would've been better off without this addition, narratively speaking. In their attempt to tie up all the loose ends, they cut too many too short.

Dulfite said:
I'm going to receive hate for this but The Fighter Passes of Smash. I don't dislike that they have them, but I dislike that they focused on adding new random characters when they could have added more features to the game instead. Features I'd love for the game to have:

Amiibo online battles. You have your lineup, I have mine, we let them battle it out while we eat smoked guoda cheese and drink a fine 2017 blackberry sweet wine. Throw in a leaderboard while your at it.

Story focused single player with linear plotpoints that build up to epic CGI moments.

Smash App where you can challenge friends, set up times to fight, get live updates on Smash leaderboard changes and events, and talk trash with the internet.

I like new characters, but that's all they seem to be focusing on and that is the least of my concerns when it comes to Smash. They have a fantastic lineup already. We need new features!

They actually did add Amiibo Online battles, its a setting you toggle to turn them on in arena battles. 

Around the Network
animegaming said:
Dulfite said:
I'm going to receive hate for this but The Fighter Passes of Smash. I don't dislike that they have them, but I dislike that they focused on adding new random characters when they could have added more features to the game instead. Features I'd love for the game to have:

Amiibo online battles. You have your lineup, I have mine, we let them battle it out while we eat smoked guoda cheese and drink a fine 2017 blackberry sweet wine. Throw in a leaderboard while your at it.

Story focused single player with linear plotpoints that build up to epic CGI moments.

Smash App where you can challenge friends, set up times to fight, get live updates on Smash leaderboard changes and events, and talk trash with the internet.

I like new characters, but that's all they seem to be focusing on and that is the least of my concerns when it comes to Smash. They have a fantastic lineup already. We need new features!

They actually did add Amiibo Online battles, its a setting you toggle to turn them on in arena battles. 

I mean an entire league of just Amiibo, with rankings for how your team does.

JWeinCom said:
Vodacixi said:
In recent years...

Mario Kart 8 was great. 50% extra game for 12 bucks... amazing deal.
Bloodborne: The Old Hunters was a great expansion worth every penny.
Shovel Knight is like... unreal. They didn't need to give us so much... but they did anyway.
Donkey Kong Adventure in Mario + Rabbids was an insanely good expansion
Torna: The Golden Country is pretty much a full on game disguised as a DLC expansion. And in some aspects it's even better than the main adventure. Also, we got a ton of new content for the base game
Splatoon and Splatoon 2 spent years giving people free updates with weapons, maps, game modes, events and more. And Splatoon 2 got a nice (paid) story expansion

That's the good. The bad...

Both Smash Bros. Ultimate and Smash Bros. 4 have awful DLC. I don't care how much it costs to make new characters and stages. 25 dolars for a 6,6% increase in overall content is ridiculous. And Smash 4 was even worse, with the pack with all characters costing 35 dolars. 35. Wow.

Zelda Breath of the Wild Expansion Pass was not bad in terms of content. But it is bad to lie to people. They promised "a new original story". I don't know what Nintendo understands by that... but what we got was not a new original story. And I'm very disappointed with Nintendo for that.

Pokémon Sword and Shield Expansion Pass will be massively disappointing as well. I know, I'm saying things I can't prove yet. And if I'm wrong I will eat my words, I promise. But I strongly believe that they will give people like... a few hours worth of content. Like... twice the Delta Episode duration at best. And then all what will be left is catching the new Pokémon and go back to the competitive aspect of the game. All for 30 bucks. And then people will miss a well made third version (not like US/UM).

I liked the Donkey Kong DLC for Mario and Rabbids but was kind of irked that the only character you could use from the main game was Rabbid peach.  I was really hoping for a chance to use the late game characters like the Yoshis since you didn't have a chance to use them much in the main game.

I don't think measuring value by percentage of characters is a good way to go about things, since this kind of penalizes developers for giving a lot in the main game.  For instance Soul Calibur 6 I believe has the same pricing for their DLC.  But since the game launched with I think 20 characters, you'd be paying 25 dollars for a 25% increase in overall content.  Which would sound like a better deal, but in reality you're getting the same amount of stuff. 

Yeah, they could have gona much further with the DK DLC. But I think even as it is, it's a great expansion.

I don't know about Soul Calibur. I'm just talking about Smash Bros. Ultimate. And in this particular case, I think what you get is not worth 25 dolars. Not even close.

Vodacixi said:
JWeinCom said:

Yeah, they could have gona much further with the DK DLC. But I think even as it is, it's a great expansion.

I don't know about Soul Calibur. I'm just talking about Smash Bros. Ultimate. And in this particular case, I think what you get is not worth 25 dolars. Not even close.

I'm not necessarily going to debate that.  I just think that basing value on the % of new content compared to the original content is flawed because it would punish devs for overdelivering in the base package.

I dunno if I'd call it "worst" as some of the extra dungeons/shrines were pretty great, but BOTW's DLC was disappointing.

The game cried out for a new landmass to explore, instead all we got was new challenges within the world I'd already thoroughly explored, so that sense of discovery that propelled the main game just wasn't there.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 17 February 2020

curl-6 said:

I dunno if I'd call it "worst" as some of the extra dungeons were pretty great, but BOTW's DLC was disappointing.

The game cried out for a new landmass to explore, instead all we got was new challenges within the world I'd already thoroughly explored, so that sense of discovery that propelled the main game just wasn't there.

Wait, some of the extra dungeons?  I only saw one... was there something I missed?