By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Record Temperatures

CrazyGamer2017 said:
Jumpin said:

I used to believe in global warming. It was clear that the temperature was rising all the way to early August. But then something happened and it has clearly been falling every single month since then, thus disproving science bitches. Sometimes science is a liar!

To anybody wondering why I wish for the destruction of mankind, for the end of our species. Well I do because of posts like this one above.

Let's be honest folks, you can't read a post like this and not hope deep inside that mankind will come to an end. You can't read a post like this and believe for a second that we deserve to go on.

Do you still want to believe that there may be some good, some wisdom to save us all when so many humans are this far gone and this much disconnected from reality? I can't, I simply can't.

I don't know CrazyGamer2017 but I'm 99.9% sure his post was a joke

Around the Network
numberwang said:

Everybody is frantically posting every computer simulation, model, prediction, etc. that they found on the web and I don't have the time to explain the difference between those and reality for every case. Models aren't reality, only direct observations/measurements are. Lot's of models now mix real measurements with simulated "data" to create the appearance of objectivity, another trap to behold.

NO they aren't.
I am posting empirical evidence from verifiable, legitimate, credible sources... Aka. NASA. - The Organization that has landed robots on Mars, Landed Man on the Moon, has sent space craft outside of the solar system, who have various satellites in orbit and instruments strewn across the globe.

They are far more credible than anyone on these forums and more credible than anything you have posted thus far.

And if you don't have time to explain, but plenty of time to source some old useless newspaper clippings? Common. A little bit hypocritical.

numberwang said:

A good example for the distinction between model and data is the "Drowning of the Maldives" hysteria which has been predicted forever. After all, the models claim a hockey stick warming and sea level rise. The science is settled, only deniers disagree.

Maldives are drowning in 1837 (!) -- the hysteria began early.

<SNIP>

Again. 100 year old bullshit is irrelevant to today.

In saying that... We are loosing islands.
https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/145927/great-fox-is-disappearing

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2146594-eight-low-lying-pacific-islands-swallowed-whole-by-rising-seas/

The evidence is undeniable at this point.

Since 1880 sea levels have increased by 240mm~ with an average rate of around 3.3mm per year.
https://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs/sea-level/

It makes sense... As the Earth Warms, Ice melts.
And as the Earth Warms... Thermodynamics or more specifically thermal expansion will occur in liquids... And there is a whole ton of liquids in our oceans set to expand.

numberwang said:

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/4173156

Drowning again predicted in 1988

<SNIP>

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/102074798

Perpetual drowning in 2018, it just never stops

<SNIP>

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/islands-sea-level-rise-flooding-uninhabitable-climate-change-maldives-seychelles-hawaii-a8321876.html

So much for the models but what about reality?

Curb your enthusiasm, the Maldives have.... grown bigger, the oceans declined. The old man shows you were the sea line was when he was younger. Real observations vs. fake modelling.

<SNIP>

Observational facts do not verify the story of a rapidly rising sea level in the Maldives. On the contrary, stability in sea level is well documented for the last 30-40 years.... As their [IPCC] idea is not based on actual field studies only modeling, our observational facts should be held superior.

http://myweb.wwu.edu/dbunny/pdfs/Evid_Based_Climate_Sci/Ev_Based_Climate_Sci_Chap7.pdf

That objective led a fieldwork team to the Maldives, and resulted in a conclusion that sea level in the islands fell by approximately 30 cm during the past few decades.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0921818105000780

Functional models are built using data and evidence gathered. - To claim they are "not reality" is essentially taking a dump on the scientific method.

Do you know what the scientific method has given you? Every single modern comfort you enjoy today. Every. Single. One.

Internet? Exists because of Science.
Medicine? Also exists because of Science.
Technology? Again. Science.

Your line of thinking is highly fallacious... And it would be awesome if you could take the time out of your super busy schedule if you would respond to posters replying to you instead of ignoring everyone and continuing on your own narrative. Cheers.

As for the Maldives, rising sea levels are a real threat.
https://www.newscientist.com/article/2125198-on-front-line-of-climate-change-as-maldives-fights-rising-seas/

Not to mention you haven't even fucking read your own links! You have misquoted sciencedirect, they recognize that sea levels have risen! (Which contradicts all your prior statements on the issue!)

CrazyGamer2017 said:

Oh but I have a feeling that shit will hit the fan long before our grand children roam the earth as adults.

We will certainly start to notice significant issues before then.

Shit. We already are. Don't become a firefighter anytime soon if the forward projections look like anything.

CrazyGamer2017 said:

You are talking about CO2 and its direct effects to our health which I am not fully familiar with but I am certain these are bad as you explain. But there will be a more pressing problem with increasing concentrations of CO2 and worse with CH4 (Methane). The most pressing issue is the change in climate due to the greenhouse effect magnified by CO2 and the much more powerful CH4.

You see the warming of the global climate is going to trigger a whole bunch of positive reinforcing feedback loops which in turn will accelerate the warming which will at some point trigger a natural release of billions of tons of CH4 contained in shallow waters such as the waters of the east Siberian Arctic shelve (The so called clathrate gun) which will accelerate even more the warming of the climate due to the very powerful greenhouse methane gas released. Once these feedback loops are triggered there is no stopping them.

I agree. I was mostly just posting on how CO2 affects me and how I have experienced high-CO2 exposures... Which the majority of people don't... And thus don't fully comprehend it's extensive ramifications.

CrazyGamer2017 said:

And finally the worst problem that this sudden increase in heat will cause is not climate change or stronger storms, hurricanes, extreme heat and droughts causing massive fires (like we see in Australia) all these are very bad on their own. The worst will come with the crops that are the base for our food, these crops will not resist the coming changes and at some point they will collapse, at first by a few percents then more until 95% of all crops fail to grow and the entire world goes into a famine. No need for me to draw a picture of what that would mean (panic, social chaos, wars all over the globe, starvation everywhere) That's when shit really hits the fan. Can't tell you when exactly that will happen, I can only tell you that we are heading in that direction and we are accelerating towards it.

We were warned that the effects of climate change would be "directly observable" by 2020 in Australia.
So in a span of 48 hours... I was battling a raging bushfire... Then dealing with a flood that was simply unprecedented in the area.

You just don't get those two kinds of extremes anywhere else.

o_O.Q said:

"I mean that a human being with an allegedly working brain could think for a second that economics>natural order"

for the vast majority of people and everyone who visits this forum, economics does trump the natural order

whenever we build houses or lay roads to drive our cars or build airports to move across countries what do you believe is happening?

to access this forum you use a computer built in a factory from materials extracted from the earth connected via extensive networks spanning thousands of miles

how many ecosystems are disrupted within these processes? do you have any idea how much energy is consumed to create consoles and the video games that run on them? or to keep those consoles turned on and connected?

how many people in one breath voice concern about how bad climate change is then cheer at the implementation of 5g networks?

a lot of this crying about how urgent global warming is to me sounds a little hypocritical, i know personally that if it came to it i could go live in the bush off the grid and still feel contentment with regards to life, fully understanding what that means and how much more difficult life would be, but I don't think many of people people lamenting climate change and that WE MUST DO SOMETHING can say the same

To be Carbon Neutral doesn't mean giving up your homes, computers, internet, electricity, water or vehicles.

Being Carbon Neutral means only dumping enough CO2 that gets taken out of the system via natural or unnatural processes. (As we use CO2 for various purposes daily!)
That does mean we need to make changes.

It's only hypocritical if you adhere to the right-wing sensationalist propaganda that asserts that we need to give up everything, which is far from the actual truth.

At the end of the day though... For arguments sake...
If Global Warming is real, lots of high-valued properties will be lost to the oceans, various farm land districts will be deserts... And more. - But let's also not discuss the impacts of various cities and communities needing to be evacuated from various island nations and regions shall we?

Or the fact we are wiping out forests at an unprecedented rate, which are often full of undocumented flora and fauna, let's not discuss the potential economic impacts if we accidentally wiped out a plant that could have cured cancer shall we?

Let us say Global Warming is false.
We would have needlessly created a cleaner, more sustainable world for future generations.

I think it is a no brainer to be honest.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

Since 1880 sea levels have increased by 240mm~ with an average rate of around 3.3mm per year.

Your maths teacher from primary school is not amused.

Pemalite said:

Not to mention you haven't even fucking read your own links! You have misquoted sciencedirect, they recognize that sea levels have risen! (Which contradicts all your prior statements on the issue!)

He didn't misquote sciencedirect, the sentence that he quoted was indeed a 1:1 quote from the sciencedirect link that he posted. But his quote is a nice example how a quote taken out of context can give an impression that is almost the exact opposite of what the quoted source actually states.

On the other hand, what you've written about that sciencedirect link is not just misleading, but wrong. The short abstract available under that sciencedirect link does not state that sea levels have risen instead of falling. Basically, it just states that after some team of scientists found that sea levels in the maldives have fallen about 30cm in the decades before 2000, another team of scientists came to at least slightly different conclusions, that the fall in sea levels at least wasn't as high as 30cm, and that they believe rise in sea levels in the maldives in the future to be the most reliable scenario.

numberwang probably simply copy-pasted that quote and the link from somewhere else without even reading it. Apparently, you didn't read it either, at least not carefully. numberwang probably didn't intentionally give a false impression - he could have just linked to this scientific paper instead as "proof":

https://stephenschneider.stanford.edu/Publications/PDF_Papers/MornerEtAl2004.pdf

4. Conclusions

In the region of the Maldives, a general fall of sealevel occurred some 30 years ago. The origin of this sea level fall is likely to be an increased evaporation over the central Indian Ocean linked to an intensifi-cation of the NE-monsoon. Furthermore, there seems no longer to be any reasons to condemn the Maldives to become flooded in the near future. Besides, at about 1000–800 BP, the people of the Maldives survived a higher sea level by about 50–60 cm.

Some scientists wrote a paper that came to this conclusion, other scientists wrote another paper that came to another conclusion, and ultimately neither of these papers is ultimate proof of anything. When it comes to the maldives, we just know for sure that those politicians and scientists who a few decades ago warned that they would be sunk by 2020 were utterly wrong. I still remember fearing the Maldives would already be sunk by the time I was finally able to visit them when I was a kid in the 80s.

Last edited by ArnoldRimmer - on 18 February 2020

numberwang said:

Everybody is frantically posting every computer simulation, model, prediction, etc. that they found on the web and I don't have the time to explain the difference between those and reality for every case. Models aren't reality, only direct observations/measurements are. Lot's of models now mix real measurements with simulated "data" to create the appearance of objectivity, another trap to behold.

A good example for the distinction between model and data is the "Drowning of the Maldives" hysteria which has been predicted forever. After all, the models claim a hockey stick warming and sea level rise. The science is settled, only deniers disagree.

Maldives are drowning in 1837 (!) -- the hysteria began early.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/4173156

Drowning again predicted in 1988

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/102074798

Perpetual drowning in 2018, it just never stops

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/islands-sea-level-rise-flooding-uninhabitable-climate-change-maldives-seychelles-hawaii-a8321876.html

So much for the models but what about reality?

Curb your enthusiasm, the Maldives have.... grown bigger, the oceans declined. The old man shows you were the sea line was when he was younger. Real observations vs. fake modelling.

Observational facts do not verify the story of a rapidly rising sea level in the Maldives. On the contrary, stability in sea level is well documented for the last 30-40 years.... As their [IPCC] idea is not based on actual field studies only modeling, our observational facts should be held superior.

http://myweb.wwu.edu/dbunny/pdfs/Evid_Based_Climate_Sci/Ev_Based_Climate_Sci_Chap7.pdf

That objective led a fieldwork team to the Maldives, and resulted in a conclusion that sea level in the islands fell by approximately 30 cm during the past few decades.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0921818105000780

That's because the land surface is rising
http://theconversation.com/maldives-climate-change-could-actually-help-coral-islands-rise-again-but-theyre-still-at-risk-106586

Land uplift like in Finland is causing the same confusion and not just there, it happens everywhere
https://www.maanmittauslaitos.fi/en/research/interesting-topics/land-uplift
https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/03/02/michigan-great-lakes-ice-age/363316002/

And it's not just up or down, sideways as well. When I was still working with digital maps the company I worked for told us that they had to adjust all their data periodically because otherwise the digitized roads wouldn't match up with GPS anymore. Tectonic plate drift didn't stop because we became intelligent...

Measuring sea levels from space is more accurate, but we've only had that tech for the last couple decades

JRPGfan said:

"However we have been warned about this for years to come... It was asserted by a climate change study that the impacts of climate change would be directly observable by 2020 in Australia and we are definitely seeing that, the fire chiefs have all been warning about it for years... And were ignored, resulting in the current situation. - And we still have uneducated cucks who think Climate Change isn't real, just because they saw a facebook meme or a Youtube video."

At some point, the changes will become so drastic people cant ignore it anymore.
Its just a matter of what does it take?

Florida to be in the ocean? because of riseing sea levels? Something else?

Netherlands will be hard to keep afloat.

I guess there won't be anymore mangroves either.

Around the Network
RenCutypoison said:
JRPGfan said:

"However we have been warned about this for years to come... It was asserted by a climate change study that the impacts of climate change would be directly observable by 2020 in Australia and we are definitely seeing that, the fire chiefs have all been warning about it for years... And were ignored, resulting in the current situation. - And we still have uneducated cucks who think Climate Change isn't real, just because they saw a facebook meme or a Youtube video."

At some point, the changes will become so drastic people cant ignore it anymore.
Its just a matter of what does it take?

Florida to be in the ocean? because of riseing sea levels? Something else?

The Netherlands already lives a long time below sea level. But with enough sabd suppletions we will be fine for a long time. Although we should remake the delta works eventually. We use controlled flooding and create river bypasses to deal with the meting Gletsjers. As for coastal erodion due to sea level rising The Dutch build the zandmotor/sandengine. So The Netherlands will be afloat for a long time, other delta's without Dutch Watermanagement (its kind a Dutch specialty) will face big challenges though. The bigger problem the Netherlands is facing is soil subsidence. 

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Qwark said:
RenCutypoison said:

The Netherlands already lives a long time below sea level. But with enough sabd suppletions we will be fine for a long time. Although we should remake the delta works eventually. We use controlled flooding and create river bypasses to deal with the meting Gletsjers. As for coastal erodion due to sea level rising The Dutch build the zandmotor/sandengine. So The Netherlands will be afloat for a long time, other delta's without Dutch Watermanagement (its kind a Dutch specialty) will face big challenges though. The bigger problem the Netherlands is facing is soil subsidence. 

Hoogmoed komt voor de val...

It's a long slow race which nature will eventually win. Rising sea levels will slow down the discharge of the rivers while rising temperatures will increase precipitation causing more water to come down the rivers. Controlled flooding is a last defense measure which only goes so far in one of the most densely populated countries in the world. At some point it will simply get too expensive to keep the Netherlands dry. Although some of the land seems to be floating anyway. My sister used to have a farm near Uitdam, when she was riding her horse around you could see and feel the ground bounce in a slow wave effect as if you were standing on water. Bizarre.

Qwark said:
RenCutypoison said:

Afaik the biggest problem with rising sea levels in the Netherlands are not dams and dikes towards the ocean, but that they have to somehow raise the levees around the rivers, otherwise they'll flow right through half the country in a couple years at high tide, especially the Rhine.

Hence why the plan is to open the Deltaworks during low tides to let the rivers unload their water content into the ocean and then close down just before the high tide rolls in and hope it rises slower than the tide.

SvennoJ said:
Qwark said:

It's a long slow race which nature will eventually win. Rising sea levels will slow down the discharge of the rivers while rising temperatures will increase precipitation causing more water to come down the rivers. Controlled flooding is a last defense measure which only goes so far in one of the most densely populated countries in the world. At some point it will simply get too expensive to keep the Netherlands dry. Although some of the land seems to be floating anyway. My sister used to have a farm near Uitdam, when she was riding her horse around you could see and feel the ground bounce in a slow wave effect as if you were standing on water. Bizarre.

That effect is due to the ground water being almost just below the surface, so if it rises any higher, it will become very swampy and probably unsuitable for any major human activity anymore.

@bolded: Not so sure about that. Scientists are still debating what the effects will be exactly for western Europe. But one thing is sure, the glaciers will be providing less and less water to the rivers simply because there are less and less glaciers, and what remains is much smaller than what they were before.

Here in Luxembourg, the result from the Alsace region getting much less snow during winter to feed the Moselle river is that it starts getting hazardous sometimes for ships and boats to sail on the river, as the low discharge means it's not deep enough outside of it's center anymore. And the same could happen to the other mountains that feed the Rhine (the Moselle flows into the Rhine), like the Black Forrest, the Eiffel, the Mittelgebirge and of course the Alps - if it's not already happening right now.

While more heat can mean more rain, it can also just mean more moisture in the air without added precipitation. Keep in mind also that the hotter the air is, the more water it can contain in form of moisture. Also, regions like southern to mid Spain are starting to show early sings of desertification, so it's quite possible that the Sahara will creep closer and closer to our regions further to the north.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 18 February 2020

ArnoldRimmer said:
Pemalite said:

Your maths teacher from primary school is not amused.

Context. Obviously the rate of sea-level rise in past decades isn't going to be the same as today's. But nice try.

ArnoldRimmer said:

He didn't misquote sciencedirect, the sentence that he quoted was indeed a 1:1 quote from the sciencedirect link that he posted. But his quote is a nice example how a quote taken out of context can give an impression that is almost the exact opposite of what the quoted source actually states.

He misquoted by not including the entire thing. Sure, I could have worded it differently, but my intentions were understood.

It's actually what the "fake news" tries to do, just picks a quote from a story and runs with it.

ArnoldRimmer said:

On the other hand, what you've written about that sciencedirect link is not just misleading, but wrong. The short abstract available under that sciencedirect link does not state that sea levels have risen instead of falling. Basically, it just states that after some team of scientists found that sea levels in the maldives have fallen about 30cm in the decades before 2000, another team of scientists came to at least slightly different conclusions, that the fall in sea levels at least wasn't as high as 30cm, and that they believe rise in sea levels in the maldives in the future to be the most reliable scenario.

numberwang probably simply copy-pasted that quote and the link from somewhere else without even reading it. Apparently, you didn't read it either, at least not carefully. numberwang probably didn't intentionally give a false impression - he could have just linked to this scientific paper instead as "proof":

https://stephenschneider.stanford.edu/Publications/PDF_Papers/MornerEtAl2004.pdf

I did read it. I wasn't basing my post on what Sciencedirect posted, I am basing my information on NASA's datasets.

Sciencedirect found no link to confirm or deny any changes in sea-level, but that is just one study.

ArnoldRimmer said:

Some scientists wrote a paper that came to this conclusion, other scientists wrote another paper that came to another conclusion, and ultimately neither of these papers is ultimate proof of anything. When it comes to the maldives, we just know for sure that those politicians and scientists who a few decades ago warned that they would be sunk by 2020 were utterly wrong. I still remember fearing the Maldives would already be sunk by the time I was finally able to visit them when I was a kid in the 80s.

That is because the Maldives have employed a heap of methods to combat the rising sea levels.
The Maldive capital Male' for example has built a giant sea-wall around the city.

If the media were proclaiming the end of the world in the 80's, that's on the media, not science.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Qwark said:

Afaik the biggest problem with rising sea levels in the Netherlands are not dams and dikes towards the ocean, but that they have to somehow raise the levees around the rivers, otherwise they'll flow right through half the country in a couple years at high tide, especially the Rhine.

Hence why the plan is to open the Deltaworks during low tides to let the rivers unload their water content into the ocean and then close down just before the high tide rolls in and hope it rises slower than the tide.

SvennoJ said:

That effect is due to the ground water being almost just below the surface, so if it rises any higher, it will become very swampy and probably unsuitable for any major human activity anymore.

@bolded: Not so sure about that. Scientists are still debating what the effects will be exactly for western Europe. But one thing is sure, the glaciers will be providing less and less water to the rivers simply because there are less and less glaciers, and what remains is much smaller than what they were before.

Here in Luxembourg, the result from the Alsace region getting much less snow during winter to feed the Moselle river is that it starts getting hazardous sometimes for ships and boats to sail on the river, as the low discharge means it's not deep enough outside of it's center anymore. And the same could happen to the other mountains that feed the Rhine (the Moselle flows into the Rhine), like the Black Forrest, the Eiffel, the Mittelgebirge and of course the Alps - if it's not already happening right now.

While more heat can mean more rain, it can also just mean more moisture in the air without added precipitation. Keep in mind also that the hotter the air is, the more water it can contain in form of moisture. Also, regions like southern to mid Spain are starting to show early sings of desertification, so it's quite possible that the Sahara will creep closer and closer to our regions further to the north.

Interesting, climate change is so complex. I live in Ontario Canada and we're getting more and more rain.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/10/11/great-lakes-water-levels-even-higher-2020/3941750002/

Add a bit of wind to push the water to one side and the beach floods, well what's left of it. Beaches get smaller every year now while the waterfront trail in Hamilton is at risk of washing out.

I live about 150 meters above lake level so no worries about the lakes but Toronto is at risk of more flooding from Lake Ontario
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/lake-ontario-record-levels-1.5155962
I live right next to the Grand River which has had 2 once in a 100 year flood events in the past couple years from heavy rain fall and high temperatures in spring causing rapid melting of the snow. This was 2 years ago in the city 10 minutes from where I live, same river further down stream.

This year we already had another near flood event early Januari. Luckily the 2 rivers coming together here peaked at different times which kept the water level high but within the limits. The stone wall the county build to prevent further erosion collapsed however... We got a lot of new sand along our shore, the river bends in a favorable (for us) direction. The other side was planned for building more houses but I guess that's off the table for now.