By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your top 10 favorite boss battles of the 2010's!

10. Demise (TLOZ: Skyward Sword)
9. Goro Majima (Yakuza 4)
8. Futoshi Shimano (Yakuza Kiwami)
7. Nega Wisp Armour Eggman (Sonic Colours)
6. Obaba (Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge)
5. Okita Soji (RGG Ishin!)
4. Yuki-Onna (Nioh)
3. Giant Toad (Nioh)
2. Ryuji Goda (Yakuza 2/Kiwami 2)
1. Akira Nishikiyama (Yakuza/Yakuza Kiwami)

Last edited by RJTM1991 - on 16 December 2023

Around the Network

Limited myself to one per game.

#10: Shadow Jago (Killer Instinct 2013)

#9: Golden Deer Final Boss/Map (Fire Emblem: Three Houses)

#8: Rebel Flagship (FTL)

#7: Jack Baker (Resident Evil 7)

#6: Index Guntyr (Dark Souls 3)

#5: Asura (Asura's Wrath)

#4: Prince Vorkken: Teio Form (Wonderful 101)

#3: Diggernaut (Metroid: Samus Returns)

#3: Grima (Fire Emblem: Awakening)

#2: Jetstream Sam (Metal Gear Rising)

#1: Final Boss (Devil May Cry 5)

That's what came to mind at least. Probably way more that I'm just not able to think of at the moment.

Metallox said:
I want to put a video but the formatting is not working for me.

Anyway, I'd put 5 bosses from Xenoblade X, none of them from the main story, so not sure if that counts:
- Dadaan
- Gradivus
- Telethia
- Nardacyon
- Pharsis

- Tyrannotitan Kurodil from Xenoblade 2

From Bayonetta:
- Sapientia (which also appears in 2)
- Final boss

- Cyberdemon from DOOM 2016. Really badass fight.

- And Final boss from Pikmin 3

Gradivus, the Headless Emperor is my top choice, though. Simply hilarious within the context of Xenoblade X. I can't remember how many times I messed around with him.

That one came to my mind, too. Very awesome, indeed.

When I think of boss battles I think of the Soulsborne games, and most of my top 10 consists of those battles. In particular, I have some fond memories of my battles against Grey Wolf Sif and the Gargoyles in DS1, Vicar Amelia and Father G from BB, the Dancer and Pontiff Sulvayne from DS3, and Fume Knight (mostly because of its difficulty) in DS2. Top pick for Sekiro would probably be Genichiro.

I had a lot of fun beating Yoshi's Crafted World with my daughter. At the time, she was decent for a five year old, but I still carried us through most of the game. But the final boss requires both players to coordinate their attacks (as he will block whichever side of his body you attack, leaving his other side open), and I could tell my daughter felt very well accomplished since she did her part well. I wish I still got half the excitement from beating a game as I did when I was young.

Mario Odyssey had some amazing boss fights, but I don't know the game well enough to know their names. But the ones that immediately come to mind are the bird in the lava bowl and the cube machine with the broodals. Bowser fights were great as well.

Oh man, Cuphead... A game that is almost entirely based on boss fights, and almost every encounter was well-made. My favorites being the beehive queen, and the clown that turns into a merry-go-round

Many years of taking meds for anxiety has caused my memory to dwindle, so I have a hard time recalling some of my favorites, so I instead chose to just list a few that came to mind).

curl-6 said:
ARamdomGamer said:

double yikes

What's yikes about having preferences?

We all have types of games that we like and don't like. Some people dislike FPS games, some platformers, some games with realistic art styles, some AAA games.

I get that my tastes aren't popular, but the way I see it, to each their own.

On a more jokey way, it hurts me a little bit when someone doesn't like something hand drawn, but that is fine.

I do think you are limiting yourself a lot with an arbitrary production value point, you are missing out on a lot of excellent games that imo can give you more value for your money or much more interesting and original experiences than bigger, more expensive games, or at least something very different.

Around the Network

So far...In no particular order...there will be a lot of Soulsborne bosses here:

Sif - Dark Souls (for the feels)
Manus - Dark Souls
Slave Knight Gael - Dark Souls 3
Orphan of Kos - Bloodborne
Demon of Hate - Sekiro
Isshin Sword Saint - Sekiro
Ivory Beast - Iconoclasts
IGA - Bloodstained

I'll update this later when I'm home and I can look through my collection.

mZuzek said:
curl-6 said:

Honestly the biggest factor is Hollow Knight seems like it would almost certainly be too hard for me. I'm not a terribly skilled gamer due to not having the best hand-eye coordination, and I get really frustrated and unhappy when a game is too difficult. Just doesn't seem like my cup of tea.

I don't think Hollow Knight is that hard, except for a couple of ridiculous optional challenges added in the free DLCs, but, I don't know how hard is too hard for you. What are your previous experiences with Metroidvanias?

From watching gameplay it does look like I'd struggle. One trait of my autism is mildly impaired fine motor control; it's not a big deal and I can play most games just fine but I do struggle when games get more demanding. I also don't cope well with frustration, as I mostly play games to relax and de-stress at the end of my day.

In No Particular Order:

1. Darksiders 2: The Guardian
2. Skyward Sword: Ghirahim (any really, but the final one was really special)
3. A Link Between Worlds: Yuga Ganon
4. Arkham City: Mr. Freeze, Ra's al Ghul
5. Arkham Origins: Deathstroke
6. FE Three Houses: Edelgard (Apex of the World gave me goosebumps)
7. Xenoblade Chronicles 2: any battle with Jin
8. Splatoon: Octavio
9. Sonic Colors: Robotnik
10. Super Mario Odyssey: Bowser

1doesnotsimply