By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Total sell in for the PlayStation 4 has reached 108.9 million units as of December 31st 2019 While Game & Network Service Down 20%

RolStoppable said:
colafitte said:

So those numbers you post, are forecasts for next fiscal year???, and what that has to do with that 2019 graph when in this Fiscal Year Sony and Microsoft have the costs of launching a next gen console?

I know those are revenue numbers, but the fact is that Sony still generates much more money than Nintendo, and that money can be spent in something else..., Just because Nintendo can or decides to have less costs doesn't mean it's more succesful and it definitively doesn't mean is better for us, the consumers. This is not just a race about who saves more money.

The thing that i want to say, is that more people want to spend money on a Sony ecosystem than in the other two, and that's just as good to consider as profits.

This means Sony  spends more in triple AAA 1st party games, 3rd party deals, better hardware, better game services and infraestructures, etc....I guess it works for Nintendo and their fans what they do, because people will always buy Marios, Zeldas and Pokemons, but i prefer what Sony, or Microsoft, does.

But i guess you can say profits is the most important thing and i would not be able to disagree with you because is the most rational thing to think so. Just giving my opinion on the matter.

Calendar year 2019 and fiscal year ending March 2020 have nine months that overlap. Like I said, I wasn't in the mood to open up a bunch of financial reports to align the periods perfectly.

Both Sony and Microsoft generate most of their profit from PS+ and Xbox Live subscriptions, respectively. It's a high margin business because subscriptions are first and foremost about making gamers pay a second time for something that they've already paid for.

Yeah, yeah i know how a FY works, like i said, for a moment i forgot we were in 2020....just a lapsus!!

And yes, most of the profit comes from that, but they attract people to spend on subcriptions because first, those companies have spent a lot on money in a service where people want to spend their money, and you can only spent money that you earn. And besides, Nintendo is trying to do the same with their online sub, they just can't compete in that regard yet, but the moment they can, they will put online and gaming services at 60$ per year like the other two.

The moment Nintendo will need to spend a lot in these things to not get that far behind the competion will see Nintendo having less profits too. I still think that what Nintendo is offering right now is going to become really obsolete in a year or two. We'll see what Nintendo will need to do then...

Edit: And one more thing, those profits are just for gaming section, but Sony and Microsoft must probably get a lot more of indirect profits that go for other sectors of their company thanks to what their gaming divisions are generating that we don't see here. That's another point to take into account. People that spentd money on PS and XB then probably spend more money too in better TV's, better PC's and other things from those companies have interests too.... Everything is connected.

Last edited by colafitte - on 05 February 2020

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
colafitte said:

Yeah, yeah i know how a FY works, like i said, for a moment i forgot we were in 2020....just a lapsus!!

And yes, most of the profit comes from that, but they attract people to spend on subcriptions because first, those companies have spent a lot on money in a service where people want to spend their money, and you can only spent money that you earn. And besides, Nintendo is trying to do the same with their online sub, they just can't compete in that regard yet, but the moment they can, they will put online and gaming services at 60$ per year like the other two.

The moment Nintendo will need to spend a lot in these things to not get that far behind the competion will see Nintendo having less profits too. I still think that what Nintendo is offering right now is going to become really obsolete in a year or two. We'll see what Nintendo will need to do then...

That's the attitude that allows console manufacturers to get away with it. "They must be investing a lot because it costs a lot to the customer."

But the reality is that Nintendo will have higher profits if they decide to charge more eventually. It already was that way for Sony and Microsoft, so it makes no sense to assume that it will be the opposite for Nintendo.

Nobody is pointing a gun at you to spend the money on those subs, so is just your decision. If you don't like it, don't support it with your wallet, and before you say there's really no other option, there's always one. And people in the end, spend their money in these things. The same can be said about MTX's, a lot of people shit on these things but the reality is that most people are OK with it. In my case, i've never put any € in any MTX ever, so....you can perfectly ignore it if you want to.

And yes, like i said, Nintendo will do the same the moment they can.

colafitte said:
RolStoppable said:

That's the attitude that allows console manufacturers to get away with it. "They must be investing a lot because it costs a lot to the customer."

But the reality is that Nintendo will have higher profits if they decide to charge more eventually. It already was that way for Sony and Microsoft, so it makes no sense to assume that it will be the opposite for Nintendo.

Nobody is pointing a gun at you to spend the money on those subs, so is just your decision. If you don't like it, don't support it with your wallet, and before you say there's really no other option, there's always one. And people in the end, spend their money in these things. The same can be said about MTX's, a lot of people shit on these things but the reality is that most people are OK with it. In my case, i've never put any € in any MTX ever, so....you can perfectly ignore it if you want to.

Now when we criticize Nintendo for selling their HW for profit unlike PS4 and X1 during the first half of their life, then the answer would be "Nintendo knows how to manage their money better", same for games that cost 1/10 of the ones developed by Sony and MS but sell for the same price and more quantity.

This same type of defense was done against DLC and other stuff until of course Nintendo started doing it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

colafitte said:
RolStoppable said:

Required to play online. Doesn't leave you with other options.

DonFerrari said:
colafitte said:

Now when we criticize Nintendo for selling their HW for profit unlike PS4 and X1 during the first half of their life, then the answer would be "Nintendo knows how to manage their money better", same for games that cost 1/10 of the ones developed by Sony and MS but sell for the same price and more quantity.

This same type of defense was done against DLC and other stuff until of course Nintendo started doing it.

You talked about 3 different things in your post and managed to be completely wrong on all of them. First of all, the most recent sony console (the ps4) was suposedly sold at a profit since launch. But this doesn't matter in the slightest because there's nothing to criticize about a business deciding on selling their product at a loss, profit or breaking even. I think I also remember seeing a comment from you when I lurked the foruns, claiming that nintendo had a $50 profit per switch at launch. A ridiculous statement without any evidence of course.

You will not find a single nintendo game costing 10% of similarly sized games from sony and MS and I find it laughable that you are trashtalking such a positive thing for nintendo. The industry has a standard $60 price for most games at launch. Nintendo develops their games with careful budgeting and extreme quality, so they sell and profit a lot without colossal development and marketing budgets. Only praise is deserved for that.

Nintendo started doing dlc, period. Not using dlc to screw consumers with crap like major day one dlc that's already on disc.

Around the Network

PS4 has been one of the best systems I have owned. A couple of nitpicks I'd like them to correct on PS5. 4 USB ports please. 2 in front, 2 in back. Lastly please do no design the system so when plugging cables in the back I have to lift the whole thing up to even get a feel where the HDMI slot is.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Nu-13 said:
DonFerrari said:

You talked about 3 different things in your post and managed to be completely wrong on all of them. First of all, the most recent sony console (the ps4) was suposedly sold at a profit since launch. But this doesn't matter in the slightest because there's nothing to criticize about a business deciding on selling their product at a loss, profit or breaking even. I think I also remember seeing a comment from you when I lurked the foruns, claiming that nintendo had a $50 profit per switch at launch. A ridiculous statement without any evidence of course.

Sony reported that on launch they broke even with a game and ps+ sold, so nope they weren't supposedly sold at profit. Not sure if I claimed with any certainty that Switch was being sold with profit. What I may have claimed is that Nintendo have always looked to sell HW at profit, and possibly have looked at some estimate on the cost of parts to see the profit Nintendo may have had.

You will not find a single nintendo game costing 10% of similarly sized games from sony and MS and I find it laughable that you are trashtalking such a positive thing for nintendo. The industry has a standard $60 price for most games at launch. Nintendo develops their games with careful budgeting and extreme quality, so they sell and profit a lot without colossal development and marketing budgets. Only praise is deserved for that.

Find one Nintendo game with development cost of God of War or SpiderMan please. From what I remember posted here in VGC the most expensive game Nintendo have made was BotW costing something between 10-20M, which is very much less than most if not all AAA from Sony. And if you look at Wii or WiiU era the discrepancy is even bigger.

Nintendo started doing dlc, period. Not using dlc to screw consumers with crap like major day one dlc that's already on disc.

Yes yes sure, and if you weren't lurker you would be saying at the time Nintendo had no DLC that DLC itself was something bad companies do as done a very big portion of Nintendo fanbase at the time.

Nintendo managed to be praised for putting DLC through Amiibos and you want to pretend they don't screw customer over. They hold the 60USD price for like 5 years instead of 5 months but that is very much praised by userbase, on a game that sold much more and costed much less than basically all competitors.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
Nu-13 said:

Sony reported that on launch they broke even with a game and ps+ sold, so nope they weren't supposedly sold at profit. Not sure if I claimed with any certainty that Switch was being sold with profit. What I may have claimed is that Nintendo have always looked to sell HW at profit, and possibly have looked at some estimate on the cost of parts to see the profit Nintendo may have had.

Find one Nintendo game with development cost of God of War or SpiderMan please. From what I remember posted here in VGC the most expensive game Nintendo have made was BotW costing something between 10-20M, which is very much less than most if not all AAA from Sony. And if you look at Wii or WiiU era the discrepancy is even bigger.

Yes yes sure, and if you weren't lurker you would be saying at the time Nintendo had no DLC that DLC itself was something bad companies do as done a very big portion of Nintendo fanbase at the time.

Nintendo managed to be praised for putting DLC through Amiibos and you want to pretend they don't screw customer over. They hold the 60USD price for like 5 years instead of 5 months but that is very much praised by userbase, on a game that sold much more and costed much less than basically all competitors.

How many people praised Nintendo for Amiibo? I recall way more people talking shit about it than praising it.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

DonFerrari said:
Nu-13 said:

The statement I remember (again, not sure if it was from you) was saying nintendo had $50 of profit per switch at launch. A clear lie to try and bash nintendo. And once more, so what? A company is free to decide wheter they will sell their product at a profit/loss/break even.

Moving the goalposts much? You claimed nintendo games cost 10% as much as sony/ms games. This was never about which costed more. And you tried to spin it as a negative thing when that's only deserving of praise.

I would say what I always said on the subject: The truth. DLC concept is great, shitty dlc is not. Amiibos are physical objects with value attached to them and the content they unlock is very unimportant. Of course it is praised. Nintendo's games sell millions at $60 for years because their quality allows it and customers are happy to pay for something that's worth the price. Other companies and stores don't drop prices quickly because they like the customer, it's because their games' sales would fall off a cliff if they didn't.

zorg1000 said:
DonFerrari said:

How many people praised Nintendo for Amiibo? I recall way more people talking shit about it than praising it.

If you look Nu-13 reply you will find a case. And you know that on VGC we will always have the cases of

"charging for online is criminal and anti-customer" - Sony fans before Sony started charging for it. And Nintendo fans when they weren't and after it changed to "it is the cheapest one"

Nothing new. Most DLC really are bad stuff, only rare occasions you'll get a very good expansion. And for the rest of DLC at least I haven't been really impacted because it is mostly estetic useless stuff or even the ones that have story it really didn't impact my enjoyment of the game itself. Still I would prefer not to have DLC.