By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Total sell in for the PlayStation 4 has reached 108.9 million units as of December 31st 2019 While Game & Network Service Down 20%

Around the Network
Evilms said:

It is even better than I thought.

BraLoD said:
Price cut, right now!

Probably after PS5 release date . They still can make a lot from The Last of Us 2, Ghost of Tsushima , Dream. 

Evilms said:

That is an impressive domination.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Evilms said:

Thank you!. I was expecting something like this from somewhere, good work!

This puts into perspective again, that despite the shortcomings of Xbox One sales and their games and the amazing raw number of hardware and software sales from Nintendo, both are very close in the only aspect that these companies really care....earnings and profits.

I would say that Microsoft, is doing better than the other two considering how much a failure their hardware and their software had been this last gen....

We care just too much in forums like this in arbitrary numbers of sales when that's not really the point of this business. I keep reading a price cut is needed, and i'm seeing the complete opposite. If you sold almost 15M consoles in 2019 at 300$ in your 6th year like PS4 did you don't need a price cut at all, in fact, it was the best decision by far to keep that price, and i'm pretty sure that if PS4 sells 10M in 2020 at the same price, it would be much more beneficial to Sony than selling 13 or 14M at 200$ or something similar.

And Nintendo is going to do the same thing. I don't expect any great price cuts from Switch of their software all through the generation. They're selling really fine at their current price.

As for Microsoft, they're so into a different path as the other two right now, that i don't really know what the best decision is, but seeing those numbers, i must admit that the people managing the bussiness of XBOX are doing the best they can with what they have.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
colafitte said:

This puts into perspective again, that despite the shortcomings of Xbox One sales and their games and the amazing raw number of hardware and software sales from Nintendo, both are very close in the only aspect that these companies really care....earnings and profits.

I would say that Microsoft, is doing better than the other two considering how much a failure their hardware and their software had been this last gen....

(...)

Looks like you don't realize what you are looking at, but you aren't the only one in this thread. The above only shows revenue numbers, but doesn't touch on profits at all.

Because I can't be bothered to go through a bunch of financial reports to align for the calendar year 2019 that is displayed above, I'll only post the operating profit forecasts of both Sony and Nintendo for the fiscal year ending March 2020. Microsoft does not provide numbers for profit comparisons, but they can be safely assumed to be a distant third anyway.

Sony: 235 billion yen
Nintendo: 300 billion yen

I was just about to post this, they have ~2x the revenue but ~20% less profit.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

colafitte said:
Evilms said:

We care just too much in forums like this in arbitrary numbers of sales when that's not really the point of this business. I keep reading a price cut is needed, and i'm seeing the complete opposite. If you sold almost 15M consoles in 2019 at 300$ in your 6th year like PS4 did you don't need a price cut at all, in fact, it was the best decision by far to keep that price, and i'm pretty sure that if PS4 sells 10M in 2020 at the same price, it would be much more beneficial to Sony than selling 13 or 14M at 200$ or something similar.

And Nintendo is going to do the same thing. I don't expect any great price cuts from Switch of their software all through the generation. They're selling really fine at their current price.

As for Microsoft, they're so into a different path as the other two right now, that i don't really know what the best decision is, but seeing those numbers, i must admit that the people managing the bussiness of XBOX are doing the best they can with what they have.

Couple of months ago I have put the calculation for how much more PS4 needed to sell on a 50 or 100 pricecut compared to what it would sell with no pricecut. The result basically showed that it would be very hard to justify the pricecut.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

RolStoppable said:
colafitte said:

(...)

Looks like you don't realize what you are looking at, but you aren't the only one in this thread. The above only shows revenue numbers, but doesn't touch on profits at all.

Because I can't be bothered to go through a bunch of financial reports to align for the calendar year 2019 that is displayed above, I'll only post the operating profit forecasts of both Sony and Nintendo for the fiscal year ending March 2020. Microsoft does not provide numbers for profit comparisons, but they can be safely assumed to be a distant third anyway.

So those numbers you post, are forecasts for next fiscal year???, and what that has to do with that 2019 graph when in this Fiscal Year Sony and Microsoft have the costs of launching a next gen console?

I know those are revenue numbers, but the fact is that Sony still generates much more money than Nintendo, and that money can be spent in something else..., Just because Nintendo can or decides to have less costs doesn't mean it's more succesful and it definitively doesn't mean is better for us, the consumers. This is not just a race about who saves more money.

The thing that i want to say, is that more people want to spend money on a Sony ecosystem than in the other two, and that's just as good to consider as profits.

This means Sony  spends more in triple AAA 1st party games, 3rd party deals, better hardware, better game services and infraestructures, etc....I guess it works for Nintendo and their fans what they do, because people will always buy Marios, Zeldas and Pokemons, but i prefer what Sony, or Microsoft, does.

But i guess you can say profits is the most important thing and i would not be able to disagree with you because is the most rational thing to think so. Just giving my opinion on the matter.

colafitte said:
RolStoppable said:

So those numbers you post, are forecasts for next fiscal year???, and what that has to do with that 2019 graph when in this Fiscal Year Sony and Microsoft have the costs of launching a next gen console?

I know those are revenue numbers, but the fact is that Sony still generates much more money than Nintendo, and that money can be spent in something else..., Just because Nintendo can or decides to have less costs doesn't mean it's more succesful and it definitively doesn't mean is better for us, the consumers. This is not just a race about who saves more money.

The thing that i want to say, is that more people want to spend money on a Sony ecosystem than in the other two, and that's just as good to consider as profits.

This means Sony  spends more in triple AAA 1st party games, 3rd party deals, better hardware, better game services and infraestructures, etc....I guess it works for Nintendo and their fans what they do, because people will always buy Marios, Zeldas and Pokemons, but i prefer what Sony, or Microsoft, does.

But i guess you can say profits is the most important thing and i would not be able to disagree with you because is the most rational thing to think so. Just giving my opinion on the matter.

No they are forcast for this fiscal year which ends in March.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:

No they are forcast for this fiscal year which ends in March.

Oops, yeah, for a moment i forgot in what month we are, but my point still stands.