By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Update: The Outer Worlds for Switch launches June 5

Shiken said:
COKTOE said:

Not required.....You could eat an uncooked hotdog right out of the package too. Maybe even without chewing...The patch is close to mandatory. Unless the bombs drop, playing it in it's cart-only state looks like an unreasonable compromise. Even now, during a semi-apocalypse.

So you played it without the patch to see how playable it was?

Neat!

While my post was definitely hyperbolic, only a fool would choose to play without the patch when given the option to do so, and I do consider playing an unfinished product that still holds itself to industry standard AAA pricing, to quote myself, "and unreasonable compromise". Obsidian hasn't been forthcoming with specific patch details at all, but it's size relative to the cart is quite substantial, and from that, at the very least, some inferences can be made as to it's importance.

Last edited by COKTOE - on 05 April 2020

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network

Just two months to go now!

It's already been more than 5 months since I last bought a Switch game so I'm excited to pick this up.

Looks like just the kind of deep, lengthy adventure to get stuck into over the long weeks of self-isolation ahead.

sales2099 said:
Cobretti2 said:
So half a game on the cart is what it really means.

PASS

I’m not familiar with Switch gamer problems...but why would you pass on a great game for something that is so seemingly trivial? Memory space issues? Can’t say I can relate to this but it certainly shouldn’t be a deal breaker

Hey whats up man? Just thought id give u a diff perspective on the subject. Theres a couple different issues for me. An interesting (@least to me) note is that some of these opinions are probably shared by older gamers like myself. The 1st point is simple principle.  If we're paying full price for a game we expect said game to be completely finished and fully playable as it is intended.  In addition we see the purchase as owning the game weve paid for , not a liscense to play said game which is the case w digital games. If there is a legit harware limitation then some compromises are understandable, but if its a cost cutting measure it tells us the publisher doesnt have faith that their product will sell enough to recoop the cost or theyre bein g lazy. 2nd point is future proofing. Still own my og NES. On occasion, I like to power it on and play a game. If my nes breaks, its not too hard to repair or find a replacement. The game is still fine so its not a big deal. If the game is made well then its fun for years to come. If the game is on the system and the system breaks however... u can see how this could be an issue in 10-20 years. Its y I refuse to buy digital @ full price and y I dont buy physical copies of online only games. Whats the point u know? Thirdly is the uncertainty of internet and specifically internet in rural areas. Imagine u pay full price for a physical game, u get home and ur nets out. U just bought this game and because of this variable,  u cant play it. to add on to that what if u want to pop in the game as soon as ur in the car? It is a portable after all. Lastly, is another idealogical point. If we're having to use hard drive space, then thats coming as an extra cost to the consumer. The publisher, in most cases, is upping their profit margin by cutting this cost and we end up paying extra for external storage. Its a win win for the publisher by dumping a cost on the consumer. Now there are some practices that offset this, like preorder discounts, but its not the norm quite yet. But I applaud publishers who incorporate this practice. I know thats alot to read, but if u were really curious I thought it might be helpful. Qfain its just a point of view. Definitely not saying anyone has to agree w it. Oh, and hopedully u caught that these issues are necessarily switch specific.  It just comes up more often.

COKTOE said:
Shiken said:

So you played it without the patch to see how playable it was?

Neat!

While my post was definitely hyperbolic, only a fool would choose to play without the patch when given the option to do so, and I do consider playing an unfinished product that still holds itself to industry standard AAA pricing, to quote myself, "and unreasonable compromise". Obsidian hasn't been forthcoming with specific patch details at all, but it's size relative to the cart is quite substantial, and from that, at the very least, some inferences can be made as to it's importance.

Or someone without immediate access to the internet.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

I wonder if this will be the game that finally puts in Switch over the N64 for me; it needs just one more truly great game to get there for me.

If not this, then probably Doom Eternal, but who the hell knows when that's coming.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

I wonder if this will be the game that finally puts in Switch over the N64 for me; it needs just one more truly great game to get there for me.

If not this, then probably Doom Eternal, but who the hell knows when that's coming.

I see what you did there. :D

curl-6 said:

Heh.

As for your previous post, I did nearly everything you could do in somewhere between 30-40 hours. I did another playthrough that maybe lasted 10 hours because I then rushed through to clean up achievements I missed.

I'm now waiting ever so impatiently for DLC which is supposed to be arriving sometime this year. It could come out around Switch launch, who knows. Just don't expect this game to last you weeks, especially in isolation. It's excellent though and most certainly worth the buy. Was one of my favourite games last year, if not the GOTY.

ironmanDX said:
curl-6 said:

Heh.

As for your previous post, I did nearly everything you could do in somewhere between 30-40 hours. I did another playthrough that maybe lasted 10 hours because I then rushed through to clean up achievements I missed.

I'm now waiting ever so impatiently for DLC which is supposed to be arriving sometime this year. It could come out around Switch launch, who knows. Just don't expect this game to last you weeks, especially in isolation. It's excellent though and most certainly worth the buy. Was one of my favourite games last year, if not the GOTY.

Alrighty, thanks for the heads up.

I usually play in daily chunks of about 40-60 minutes and take my time, so it should last me around 2 weeks at least. It does look and sound like a game I'll really enjoy.

curl-6 said:

I thought Wii and 360 were your favorite consoles? Or are you simply saying that the Switch is moving up the ladder? I'd love to see a Curl-6 System Rankings list! : o 

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
curl-6 said:

I thought Wii and 360 were your favorite consoles? Or are you simply saying that the Switch is moving up the ladder? I'd love to see a Curl-6 System Rankings list! : o 

At present:

1. SNES

2. Wii

3. 360

4. N64

5. Switch

The gap between Switch and 64 has shrunk to a hair's breadth though.