By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The LGBT thread (Revisited)

axumblade said:
Anyone watching Hollywood?

I have an allergy to Jim Parsons. The show however does look like it'd be a guilty pleasure!

Around the Network
axumblade said:

I've seen it pop up on Netflix but haven't watched it. Is it any good?

Signature goes here!

Seece said:
axumblade said:

I have an allergy to Jim Parsons. The show however does look like it'd be a guilty pleasure!

what's wrong with Jim Parsons? He's a talented actor. I guess a lot of people hate Sheldon Cooper, but that's no reason to hate the actor. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
Seece said:

what's wrong with Jim Parsons? He's a talented actor. I guess a lot of people hate Sheldon Cooper, but that's no reason to hate the actor. 

The show is so bad that I hate it and everyone associated with it.

Mr.Joker said:

You know who have sex with same sex? Animals @@..but maybe this is a sign that gay is normal and not against common sense? Well only if you consider your self as an animal.

Meow!

Around the Network

Speaking of everything that's being said here, I will now talk more about my cartoons. Here's showrunner Noelle Stevenson cryptically hinting stuff about She-Ra season 5 recently. In particular I would highlight...

“Her [Catra's] unwillingness to be vulnerable around anyone else, or ask for help, or lean on anyone else for support, finished her off long before any of the other factors,” Stevenson says. “She was all alone and had nobody to talk to, nobody to lean on — and would not let herself lean on anybody thinking of it as a weakness. Part of her arc is figuring out again, potentially, how to do that.”

...sounds like a Catra redemption arc to me. "Potentially." This prospect makes me YaY!

JWeinCom said:
Runa216 said:

What's so bad about it? Everything people say is bad about it is just as bad about virtually every other sitcom in existence. Laugh tracks are bad, but it's not exclusive to that show (They're atrocious everywhere). The characters are actually a lot better written and nuanced than like, 95% of all other characters despite them still being cliches. the writing, while not Futurama or Rick and morty level clever, is far smarter than most other 'nerdy' sitcoms. 

I don't like the 'it's popular so it's good' argument, but there's a reason it was so successful for so long. It is actually a good show and head and shoulders above most sitcoms, it just falls under the same trappings as most others in the genre. I'd rather watch The Big Bang Theory than How I met your Mother or Friends any day. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Jaicee said:
Mr.Joker said:

You know who have sex with same sex? Animals @@..but maybe this is a sign that gay is normal and not against common sense? Well only if you consider your self as an animal.

Meow!

We are all animals, some of us more than others. I, for example, am a furry! (kinda). but in all seriousness, I kinda want to have a moment to actually dissect everything Joker there was trying to say, because a lot of what he said IS a pretty common talking point among bigots and homophobes and generally uneducated people. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Runa216 said:
JWeinCom said:

What's so bad about it? Everything people say is bad about it is just as bad about virtually every other sitcom in existence. Laugh tracks are bad, but it's not exclusive to that show (They're atrocious everywhere). The characters are actually a lot better written and nuanced than like, 95% of all other characters despite them still being cliches. the writing, while not Futurama or Rick and morty level clever, is far smarter than most other 'nerdy' sitcoms. 

I don't like the 'it's popular so it's good' argument, but there's a reason it was so successful for so long. It is actually a good show and head and shoulders above most sitcoms, it just falls under the same trappings as most others in the genre. I'd rather watch The Big Bang Theory than How I met your Mother or Friends any day. 

Eh... Not sure if this is the right place, but the characters are cliche and the jokes can be seen from a mile away.  It's not a "nerdy" sitcom in the sense of Futurama or Rick and Morty where they're actually dealing with interesting ideas.  It's just basic situations, and they throw in a nerdy reference here and there.  And most of the characters are just grating.  Maybe it's better than How I Met Your Mother or Friends, but that's a pretty low bar.  

SpokenTruth said:
Dante9 said:
How would you define an ally? What is expected of an ally?

My philosophy is to judge people as individuals based on their character and their actions, rather than their sexuality, race or any such thing that one is born with.
In other words, I have nothing against you as a such and I think you should be treated the same as everyone else, but would that be enough to be considered an ally, or is something else required?

It depends upon your actions to "being treated the same as everyone else."

Allies advocate, procure and protect the rights of the LGBT community.

Allies dispel myths and denounce hatred and bigotry against the LGBT community.

Allies recognize their 'default' sexuality in the sociopolitical realm is an unwarranted privilege.

Simply treating people with respect should be the default position for everybody to begin with and, obviously, it's a welcomed approach by the LGBT community but being an ally does require a more direct and active participation.  No different than being an ally for anything else, really. 

The problem comes when you witness (in real life or online) mistreatment, abuse, oppression, etc...and don't speak up.  Silence enables others to continue their negative actions. And if you respect someone's right to be treated the same as everyone else, staying silent is antithetical.

Okay, so pretty much what I was thinking. Not having prejudices personally is good, but an ally is someone that takes a proactive approach to the whole thing. Got it.