By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

SARS was at 3000 cases or so when we had 200 confirmed deaths. I remember the panic around a dude who spread the disease to literally like 200 people in Hong Kong and when the mortality rate appeared to climb from an early 6% to over 20%. And there were these apartment complexes in HK and Taiwan full of old people that were simply quarantineed and deprived of medical care. Not fun times...

Also we need to take into account that this is an older, more polluted, more urban, more wintry China then the one who faced SARS 17 years ago, and also one where there are far more people travelling around. All of this has impacted negatively in mortality rate, and contributed to spread it further.

Around the Network

just for perspective,

the current flu season saw 15 million cases and 8,200 deaths up till now in the US alone - a mortality rate of about 0.054%, so we certainly don't want 2019-nCoV to become as big an epidemic given that it seems ~40x more deadly right now (statistics are still wonky on that one), but imo there seems to be no reason to panic

I'm not worried, thems the benefits of not going outside. Ever since I stopped working 4 or so years ago I haven't been sick once. Of course I still hope this doesn't become a major problem.

We have a few suspected cases here in Brazil, but people are not in panic yet.

I'm having flashbacks of the epidemic wave of Influenza A that happened in 2009. That one scared me really bad.

Angelus said:

If there was a real plague that wiped the earth of everyone but yourself, would you miss any of these people who crafted your entertainment?

Much as I enjoy this conversation with you my friend, I wouldn't want to be accused of thread derailing, it's a crime around here and I don't think I'm important enough to warrant the creation of a full thread about myself and the inner workings of my mind. I don't wish to ignore your posts but at the same time I can't continue replying to them. So as a middle ground thing I'll simply answer that question above and then move on:

Nope, I wouldn't miss them in the least. I would miss the entertainment they couldn't craft anymore because they'd be dead, though...

Around the Network
CrazyGamer2017 said:
Angelus said:

If there was a real plague that wiped the earth of everyone but yourself, would you miss any of these people who crafted your entertainment?

Much as I enjoy this conversation with you my friend, I wouldn't want to be accused of thread derailing, it's a crime around here and I don't think I'm important enough to warrant the creation of a full thread about myself and the inner workings of my mind. I don't wish to ignore your posts but at the same time I can't continue replying to them. So as a middle ground thing I'll simply answer that question above and then move on:

Nope, I wouldn't miss them in the least. I would miss the entertainment they couldn't craft anymore because they'd be dead, though...

Nonsense! I had made a thread about myself, and I could die right now and no one would care. I'd be very much interested in a thread about you. I'm sure you're aware you have a very unique mindset even among us social outcast.

Lonely_Dolphin said:

Nonsense! I had made a thread about myself, and I could die right now and no one would care. I'd be very much interested in a thread about you. I'm sure you're aware you have a very unique mindset even among us social outcast.

You are way too hard on yourself, I am certain that there would be people missing you both in real life and on this forum. I believe this so don't try to prove me wrong. I don't do "wrong", not when I believe in something.

Dolphin adn Gamer are like foils to each other, like the Crestfallen Warrior and Solaire in Dark Souls, or the Grey Mourner and the Elderbug in Hollow Knight.

Also, fairly linear development these last few days so the fibonnaci graph aged rather badly I'd say. Although undoubtely there are many more undiagnosed cases yet to be found.

Is now at 11374 cases and 259 deaths

I have an anxiety disorder that is very health related. This is scaring the shit outta me to the point where I feel paralyzed... This could have a huge mortality rate. I read somewhere that there have been over 200 deaths so far, and only a small amount more who RECOVERED from it, which means that in a few weeks we could be seeing the mortality rate skyrocket.

Very concerned... Like I can't enjoy life... I am scared something will happen to my family, my daughter, my wife, and the baby on the way...

1doesnotsimply