By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

It looks like unvaccinated conservative states are getting battered by Covid a bit more, as one might expect. I hope they don't go with the UK strategy, but it might be unavoidable with the vaccination hesitancy.

In the country I live in, the Olympics and the end to the rainy season has everyone moving out, creating a Delta cluster. I still have no hope for a vaccination any time soon, despite interacting with many people every day.

Around the Network

An interesting discussion that I came across and shamelessly stole. Worth taking a few mins to read it. Added some extra posts in parentheses for context:

I don't think leaders here have wrapped their heads around the impact of Delta in the US. This is a new era: A) A bad phase of the pandemic for unvaccinated adults and B) The beginning of the endemic reality for vaccinated people. Policy responses require a new paradigm.

On A: A bad phase of the pandemic for unvaccinated adults. US vaccinations have flattened at an embarrassing level vs. peer countries. Lots of blame to go around here - I point fingers both at people yelling for NPIs forever and the nuts on Fox News - but the numbers are bad.

I was hopeful that the fact that the fast expansion into vaccinating younger people in the US would help suppress the Delta wave in unvaccinated people (herd immunity), but math for ~85% HITs given Delta probably makes that a pipe dream.

Scott Gottlieb hints at the CDC sitting on modeling showing a significant wave in the US.

In light of that, takes like this (So basically your choices are to get vaccinated or to get COVID) are probably fair.

Cases are just creeping up in the US on aggregate but I think we need to be prepared for a bad outbreak (in case numbers) like the UK, concentrated on unvaccinated people.

So far, the reaction has been mask mandates being reinstated in parts of CA, but other areas moving forward without NPIs. That is in a ~40k/day case environment. I'm not sure how the national mood will shift in a ~100k+/day case environment, concentrated on the unvaccinated.

But more on my policy thoughts later in the thread.

On B: The beginning of the endemic reality for vaccinated people. With Delta, it's unlikely that Covid will ever go away, or be held at low levels. I'm not convinced there's any realistic level of vaccination that could make that happen (it probably is now at a level that is unachievable even w/ very high vaccine coverage except maybe in some areas).

The dream would be treating this like the measles, of course. We know that global Zero Covid isn't possible, but in theory if you could keep sterilizing immunity high enough, you could keep infections low enough to not ever think about.

(Elimination is a red herring. Measles has extremely high R, has a low but notable rate of serious complications, and is not eliminated. But you never worry about it because over 90% of people were vaccinated as kids and it doesn't spread anymore. That should be our goal).

But transmissibility like Delta makes that unlikely. And we should remember that antigenic drift is real, and will likely break SARS-CoV-2 out of sterilizing immunity over time anyway. This isn't measles.

(CoV antigenic drift is capable of giving us a virus capable of evading sterilizing immunity & giving us a nasty cold for a few days. this is not the same as an immunologically novel virus).

Delta and low vaccination rates have ushered in the world where endemic SARS-CoV-2 is swirling around vaccinated people, but I suspect this was an inevitable reality. I was seduced by the VeryLowCovid reality of early Summer, hoping it would stay, but it's fleeting.

My takeaway here is that all vaccinated people will be at least exposed to SARS-CoV-2, and, with antigenic drift and waning nABs, will contract the virus at some point. Clearly, there are plenty of vaccinated people worried about this reality. How worried should we be?

The odds-on answer seems to be that once everyone is exposed (and we should expect 100% seroprevalence) it will be a common cold-level threat due to immunological memory, even with new variants over time.

If that's not the case, and this thing does burst through all immunity over time including protection against severe disease, I have no good answer. Boosters will be necessary but it will be a constant race to update them as variants spread. Let's hope not.

But I also suspect there is an outsized threat right now to some vaccinated people that is worse than the long-term threat of the endemic virus. My going hypothesis here is that some people who did not have a strong immune reaction to the vaccine are at risk right now.

There have been 791 deaths in the US of fully-vaccinated people, so we unfortunately cannot fully claim 100% protection against death from Covid-19 with the vaccines. Still, this of course pales in comparison to unvaccinated deaths.

There are signs that severe Covid cases are concentrated in sicker people who are less likely to have mounted a strong immune response to the vaccine, vs. breakthrough cases in the rest of the population.

(Almost all of them (96%) had comorbidities: heart disease, lung disease, renal disease, dementia, cancer, or other common ailments. People who get breakthrough infections and are admitted are sicker than a usual person).

In this world, the meaning of endemic Covid is that most of the vaccinated will be infected by SARS-CoV-2 at some point. For most of us that will be a cold. For those who don't seroconvert from the vaccine it could be a worse threat.

But, in this world, everyone will seroconvert eventually, one way or another. It will be a cold to everyone at that point. But on the road to that, vaccines won't perfectly protect everyone who is vaccinated from death.

That is both a tragedy and something I'm not sure we can solve.

Where does that leave us in terms of policy?

If my hypotheses are right, this leaves leaders in a dark place in the short-term but an okay place in the long-term. In the short term, there is nothing that leaders can really do to prevent 100% seroconversion, with all its consequences.

Obviously encouraging vaccination will reduce domestic deaths in the heretofore-unvaccinated, but even that comes at the cost of fewer vaccines available for abroad. And I don't think it protects those who don't mount strong immune responses long-term.

NPIs? Those come at a cost, and just delay the inevitable. We will not defeat Covid using NPIs - potentially just delay some infections into the future. That made sense when vaccines were on the horizon. Not as much now, unless there is imminent threat of HC system failure.

I make fun of places adding back light-weight NPIs with a history of failing. The reality is that masks won't stop the train to 100% seroconversion, but they do have real costs (bars / clubs / music can't functionally operate with masks; return to office just won't happen).

The sad reality here is that, even if the endemic steady state is okay, there are dark days ahead for the world. The sadder reality is that NPIs aren't very helpful tools, and come at a real cost. The sort-of exception is if you can buy time to higher vaccination with them.

I think the reality of endemic Covid needs to be communicated to the world at this point. As I said at the top of the thread, I don't think many US leaders have fully wrapped their heads around it. Maybe the CDC has, but probably not state leaders.

In a sense, I admire Boris Johnson and Chris Whitty for being pretty honest with their people about this reality.

The summer has been a fun summer of reopening in the US for many (myself included), but my crystal ball is foggy about both how leaders will react to the immediate surge in cases and to the reality of long-term endemicity.

It's all a bit hopeless tbh. We let it get too far and indeed any chances of eliminating Sars-Cov-2 have passed. What does this mean for my imunocompromised wife? The second shot was already a big burden on her, she was coughing up crap for almost 2 weeks, trouble breathing again, arms and hands going blue-ish from lack of oxygen. (I had a bit of a sore arm and felt a bit more tire for 2 days in comparison)

This doesn't sound like she can ever go without a mask again, but eventually the kids will bring it home from school. Hopefully the virus will have weakened enough by then not to bring more severe complications. She barely survived the first time (we think) she caught it. (She really needs a lung x-ray to check what's going on, and/or look for leftover damage, but doctors and hospitals are too busy)

While the risks for kids are low, there are some real risks
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/approximately-1-in-25-children-hospitalized-with-covid-19-develop-neurological-complications-u-k-study-1.5513185
Immunizing kids seems not neccessary atm (better to vaccinate the rest of the world first), however it will have to be added to the rest of the early vaccinations cocktails.

The best they can give us here is 'unlikely' now the borders are about to re-open
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/vaccinated-visitors-from-u-s-unlikely-to-spread-virus-experts-say-1.5513101
"The risk won't be zero ... (but) we have to start making these adjustments to move back to normal," he said. "We can't stay in suspended animation with our nearest neighbour."
That while cases are surging in the US, just as we got ours to the lowest level in many months.

A recent study from the United Kingdom compared spread among household contacts after vaccinated and unvaccinated family members got COVID-19. The study found at least one dose cut transmission to unvaccinated members by 40 to 50 per cent.

Another pre-print study from Israel, which has yet to be peer-reviewed, suggests vaccines are 88.5 per cent effective against transmission.

"So it's clearly not 100 per cent, but (vaccination) really does (reduce) the transmission chain," Chakrabarti said.

Nazeem Muhajarine, an epidemiology professor at the University of Saskatchewan, said that while spread from a fully vaccinated traveller would be rare, unvaccinated or partially-vaccinated Canadians are vulnerable, especially if visitors unknowingly bring in new variants of the virus.

Meanwhile the Olympics must go on (stupid)
https://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/first-positive-covid-19-tests-for-athletes-in-olympic-village-1.5513705

Organizers say since July 1, 55 people linked to the Olympics have reported positive tests. This figure does not include athletes or others who may have arrived for training camps but are not yet under the "jurisdiction" of the organizing committee.

The Olympics will open on Friday under a state of emergency in Tokyo and three neighbouring prefectures. The emergency order lasts until Aug. 22. The Olympics close on Aug. 8.

Fans -- local and those from abroad -- have been banned for all Olympic events in Tokyo and the three neighbouring prefectures. A few outlying venues may allow a smattering of local fans.

About 200 protesters gathered on Sunday outside Shinjuku station in central Tokyo, waving signs that read "No Olympics." It was the latest in a series of small protests over the last few months targeting the Games.

"We are not only protesting the Olympics," protester Karoi Todo told The Associated Press. "We are opposing the government overall -- this is ignoring human rights and our right to life. Infections are increasing. To do the Olympics is unforgivable."

haxxiy said:

An interesting discussion that I came across and shamelessly stole. Worth taking a few mins to read it. Added some extra posts in parentheses for context:

[snip]

Good write up. What are NPI's?

Reading the Covidist discussing together after 18 months of scam is fun and scary in the same time.

Do not worry for the unvaccinated people, full mandatory vaccination is coming soon to US too.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
Barozi said:

Honestly, based on my recent research, Canada was the only country I encountered that did that.

Reporting them like that is pretty much pointless anyway as they can't be compared to other countries. In Germany for example, the eligible age is 18+. Therefore not comparable. Even less comparable for countries that have a different distribution of age groups (especially more young people).

Furthermore the eligible age could change at any time which will cause the percentages to suddenly drop even though you keep vaccinating more people. Just report it based on total population and accept that you can never reach 100% (which isn't the target anyway).

Ah, my incorrect assumption from the disclaimer below the graph.

They also put a table up
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-vaccination-tracker-how-many-people-in-canada-have-received-shots-1.5247509

Gibraltar is at the top with 116% of the population having received a first dose, I guess people go over the border to get a shot? And the worst, lots of countries in Africa still only around 1%.

Gibraltar, Malta and Iceland are the top 3 for fully vaccinated (115%, 80% and 72%)

About 50% of the workforce of Gibraltar are Spanish people living in Spain so I guess they were eligible to get a shot there.

Hiku said:
SvennoJ said:

Australia reported 675 new cases (up from 266) and 2 deaths

I haven't kept track in a while, but didn't Australia have close to 0 daily cases for a while?
With quarantine required for people entering the country, how did it get to 675 in a week?

They state lax quarantine at the border
https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/australias-victoria-reports-10-local-covid-19-cases-first-day-lockdown-2021-07-15/

Officials reported 103 new cases on Friday, the bulk in Sydney with the remainder in Melbourne, taking total cases since the current outbreak began a month ago to above 1,000. Two people have died, 75 people are hospitalised with 18 in intensive care.

It's the delta variant together with low vaccination rate as of yet in Australia (28% first does, 11% fully vaccinated).

From Friday, 40% of the country's 25 million people - across Sydney, the outbreak epicentre, and the state of Victoria - were living under some form of lockdown conditions.

And who would have thought, Australians are just as stubborn as the rest of the world

Of major concern to health officials is the fact that the proportion of people out in public while infectious remains stubbornly high despite Sydney residents heading into a fourth week of lockdown.

Asutralia had only one Covid related death this year until last week.

I just got back in from our river exploring adventure (with my youngest). On the way back we came through the park and down town on our bikes. It's Sunday, very very busy. People all sitting close together in the park, huddled in the shade, queuing up for ice cream in town. Splash pads are back open and crowded. Mask use is down to 20% (still mandatory inside at least) but it just looks like a normal busy holiday, actually a bit more crowded than a normal summer holiday.

It's only a matter of time before our cases start rising again, although with near half the population now fully vaccinated, it should at least be a lot slower.

Australia and New Zealand definitely need to hurry up with vaccinations. Buy from China if you have to, 85-90% protection against deaths is better than nothing in the meantime.

TallSilhouette said:
haxxiy said:

[snip]

Good write up. What are NPI's?

Non-pharmaceutical interventions. It can include anything from masks to lockdowns.

SvennoJ said:
Hiku said:

I haven't kept track in a while, but didn't Australia have close to 0 daily cases for a while?
With quarantine required for people entering the country, how did it get to 675 in a week?

They state lax quarantine at the border
https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/australias-victoria-reports-10-local-covid-19-cases-first-day-lockdown-2021-07-15/

Officials reported 103 new cases on Friday, the bulk in Sydney with the remainder in Melbourne, taking total cases since the current outbreak began a month ago to above 1,000. Two people have died, 75 people are hospitalised with 18 in intensive care.

It's the delta variant together with low vaccination rate as of yet in Australia (28% first does, 11% fully vaccinated).

From Friday, 40% of the country's 25 million people - across Sydney, the outbreak epicentre, and the state of Victoria - were living under some form of lockdown conditions.

And who would have thought, Australians are just as stubborn as the rest of the world

Of major concern to health officials is the fact that the proportion of people out in public while infectious remains stubbornly high despite Sydney residents heading into a fourth week of lockdown.

Asutralia had only one Covid related death this year until last week.

I just got back in from our river exploring adventure (with my youngest). On the way back we came through the park and down town on our bikes. It's Sunday, very very busy. People all sitting close together in the park, huddled in the shade, queuing up for ice cream in town. Splash pads are back open and crowded. Mask use is down to 20% (still mandatory inside at least) but it just looks like a normal busy holiday, actually a bit more crowded than a normal summer holiday.

It's only a matter of time before our cases start rising again, although with near half the population now fully vaccinated, it should at least be a lot slower.

Basically all covid-19 transmission currently in Australia started from one unvaccinated person in Sydney who was driving international flight crews last month. From them it spread throughout Sydney, aided by the New South Wales state government's misguided and politically driven decision to not lock down until it was too late. 

From there it spread to other states. Last week a removalist who skipped interstate quarantine traveled from Sydney to Melbourne and worked at an apartment complex without wearing a mask. Another interstate arrival snuck out of home quarantine to go to the supermarket. Those two people seeded Delta throughout Melbourne and now we're in lockdown too.

Add to that our incompetent federal government refused to buy up enough vaccine when they had the chance; most people I know are desperate to get jabbed but there's just not enough to go around and for now only people over 40 or with special conditions are eligible, and most face wait times of months.

So yeah, basically idiot politicians and a few selfish people screwed us all.

Pretty condemning article to the "we're all in this together", "look how the world came together to quickly make vaccines for everyone" rhetoric

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/vaccine-inequity-inside-the-cutthroat-race-to-secure-doses-1.5513811

Basically still no tech sharing, big companies keeping the patents tightly locked up while rich countries stockpile vaccines beyond what they need.

Scientists agree that children are at low risk from COVID-19. But that hasn't stopped richer countries from stockpiling precious vaccine supplies to inoculate the young, even as poor countries have few or no shots to give.

A recent meeting of WHO's vaccine allocation group disbanded with nothing accomplished, because there was no vaccine to allocate. "Zero doses of AstraZeneca vaccine, zero doses of Pfizer vaccine, zero doses of J&J vaccine," said Dr. Bruce Aylward, a senior advisor at the organization.

"Every single one of our suppliers is unable to supply during this period because others are making demands on those products, others who are vaccinating very young populations that are not at risk," Aylward said.

But a plummeting jet takes all passengers with it, whether or not they are wearing masks. And the failure to provide vaccines across the globe ensures that COVID-19 will continue to spread, and mutate, and sicken, and kill.

"It speaks volumes about where we are as a globe when you have the source of decision-making sitting with very few people who have a lot of wealth and are essentially making life and death decisions for the rest of the globe," Mass General's Katz said. "Every month that we lost put us further and further behind."

We'll be stuck with Covid measures for a long time, and the death toll will keep adding up for years to come at this rate. It's sad, we're now destroying expired vaccine batches as we have more than people care to show up for.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2021/07/13/canada-has-let-thousands-of-astrazeneca-vaccine-doses-expire-and-thousands-more-soon-will-why-one-expert-calls-that-a-moral-failure.html?rf

And when it does get send on, it's beyond the expiry date and has to be destroyed
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/malawi-burns-20-000-expired-astrazeneca-covid-19-doses-despite-pleas-1.5434122

https://www.bbc.com/news/56940657

Many thousands of vaccine doses have been destroyed in African countries because they've exceeded their expiry dates.

Others are being returned by countries saying they will be unable to use them before they expire.