By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

jason1637 said:
Damn those Canada numbers. From 5k to 9k.

Canadians are nice. 

But they're just as dumb as Americans. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network

Kinda sucks my family puts me under pressure to visit my grandmas and grandpas while i do not want to risk them getting infected.
Just want to keep everyone safe till vaccines arrive but nope now i need to argue against close family that almost demands me to make it unsafe to others.

Runa216 said:
jason1637 said:
Damn those Canada numbers. From 5k to 9k.

Canadians are nice. 

I won't argue against that, neither will my wife. You can add the Dutch to that, completely ignoring the risks from schools and now back to exponential growth. The Netherlands population not that much higher than Ontario. We're ready to shut things down with a 400 case average with low population density, The Netherlands is on the way to a 3,000 daily average, 2,995 added today.

SvennoJ said:
Runa216 said:

Canadians are nice. 

I won't argue against that, neither will my wife. You can add the Dutch to that, completely ignoring the risks from schools and now back to exponential growth. The Netherlands population not that much higher than Ontario. We're ready to shut things down with a 400 case average with low population density, The Netherlands is on the way to a 3,000 daily average, 2,995 added today.

Humans in general just copy what is socially accepted , if a goverment does not enforce something enough then most of us just do what seems the easiest to do.

Monkey sees monkey does till the monkey gets no food for doing the thing, as modern as we deem ourselves, we are and behave like primates sometimes.

5 cases in my state in the last 24 hours.

I hardly scarcely describe the relief I feel; just last month I was watching in mounting anxiety as the counts came in; 500 cases a day, then 600, then 700. It felt like we done for, that the horrific scenes from places like Italy we'd seen on TV would become our daily reality. I was so scared.

Now I can literally count the daily cases on one hand. The second wave is over.

Let's just hope we can hold off a third until vaccines arrive.

Around the Network

A grim milestone; the global death toll from the virus passes 1 million.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

curl-6 said:

A grim milestone; the global death toll from the virus passes 1 million.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I wouldn't be surprised if it does another (million) before this is all over.
And we can go back to not worrying about wearing masks or catching a illness outsides (a pandemic).

"The new coronavirus will cause permanent changes in how people behave and interact."

Brazilians:

Note that at the moment people are technically forbidden from remaining on the beaches in a lot of places, including Rio, which is what you're seeing here. But if you're a cop or a city guard, what can you even do if you're confronted with this?

haxxiy said:

"The new coronavirus will cause permanent changes in how people behave and interact."

Brazilians:

Note that at the moment people are technically forbidden from remaining on the beaches in a lot of places, including Rio, which is what you're seeing here. But if you're a cop or a city guard, what can you even do if you're confronted with this?

Only like 500,000 people to give a ticket.... time to get started :)

Can't be more clear than this, economy > lives

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-not-ready-to-revert-to-stage-2-despite-covid-19-modelling-predicting-remarkably-high-surge-1.5126032

New COVID-19 modelling released by the Ontario government on Wednesday forecasts the province could reach 1,000 new infections per day by mid-October but Premier Doug Ford said it's not time to roll back to Stage 2.

According to the provincial government, when there are less than 150 COVID-19 patients being treated in intensive care in Ontario hospitals, the province can "maintain non-COVID capacity and all scheduled surgeries."
Once that number rises above 150 it becomes harder to support non-COVID-19 needs, the government said. Once it exceeds 350 people, it becomes "impossible" to handle.

But despite mounting pressure from some health-care professionals to move Ontario back to Stage 2, Ford said the province isn't ready for that yet. "We aren't rolling back today, not saying that's never going to happen, but that's not the conversation we are going to have today," Ford said. Meanwhile, health officials in Ontario continue to record numbers of new COVID-19 infections at levels unseen since April. 

So, we're just going to wait until the ICUs fill up (of which half will die, the other half and many of those in normal hospital beds left with long term recovery)

625 new cases today, doubling time 10 to 12 days atm.