By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

IcaroRibeiro said:
Roraima will be the first Brazilian state to get rid of Covid. Good news right?

Well... not really. Roraima has an estimated 8% infection rate and current projection get as high as 12% in the next 2 months

And of course, those numbers are fairly under reported

Regardless, they will achieve herd immunity before the year end, unless the virus suffers some mutation

Boa Vista had 25% seropositivity months ago, so I'd assume this 8% is at least five times underreported, even though it's probably the highest anywhere in the world for PCR tests.

By the way, today we have results from Maranhao from over 3,000 random blood samples, showing the state at 40,4% seropositivity:

https://jornaldebrasilia.com.br/brasil/incidencia-de-covid-19-no-maranhao-chega-a-404-a-maior-taxa-do-brasil/

I'd assume most states from the North and Northeast, and Rio, have similar numbers.

Around the Network

France has another casedemic with nearly no death.

King of France, destroyer of Covid, merchant of chloroquine

Meanwhile NYC has long reached herd immunity following the worst and earliest spike in the US with New Jersey coming in 2nd place.

https://ig.ft.com/coronavirus-chart/?areas=swe&areas=usa&areas=ita&areas=esp&areas=deu&areasRegional=usfl&areasRegional=ustx&areasRegional=usny&areasRegional=usnj&areasRegional=usga&areasRegional=usct&cumulative=0&logScale=0&perMillion=1&values=deaths

Remember when the Mayor said Covid is no biggie and sent Covid patients back into nursing homes?

https://nypost.com/2020/07/08/cuomo-sent-6300-covid-19-patients-to-nursing-homes-amid-pandemic/

Back when the real virus was "xenophobia" (Joe Biden) and "discrimination" (NYC Health commissioner).

https://twitter.com/NYCHealthCommr/status/1224043155852537863?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

At least we got to see how accelerationism worked.

Pemalite said:

Personally it doesn't matter where it came from or how it started.

Your wrong.  It has everything to do with where it came from. 

Otherwise, next year we will have Covid-21, after that Covid-22, then 23, etc.

Do we all agree this virus originated in Wuhan, China? At a wet market there....

Then why the fuck are these wet markets still allowed to operate throughout China?

That's FUCKING insane and we will see another coronavirus soon.

Nighthawk117 said:
Pemalite said:

Personally it doesn't matter where it came from or how it started.

Your wrong.  It has everything to do with where it came from. 

Otherwise, next year we will have Covid-21, after that Covid-22, then 23, etc.

Do we all agree this virus originated in Wuhan, China? At a wet market there....

Then why the fuck are these wet markets still allowed to operate throughout China?

That's FUCKING insane and we will see another coronavirus soon.

These virus has existed in some form for a long time, it can start outside of China, it can happen outside of a wet-market.
Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with China on almost everything, it's just not relevant in stopping the current issue.
Swine-Flu pandemic started in Mexico.
Bird-Flu started in Hong Kong.
Zika Virus started in Uganda.
Ebola in Africa.
HIV/AIDS in Africa.
Smallpox from Egypt/Middle East.
Typhoid from Britain.

The point is... Pandemics can start from anywhere in the world (Although more likely in less developed nations due to lack of process and procedures relating to sanitation and cleanliness.)

But in order to deal with these Pandemics we need to take an all-hazards approach to dealing with them, it needs to be a concerted effort made across the entire planet.
COVID-19 has shown us which nations have the appropriate plans and processes in place in dealing with these occurrences and which do not, such as the United States.
The origins of the virus are thus irrelevant because we are going to have new diseases occur over time whether we like it or not, it's happened all through history across the entire planet. - What is truly important is how we manage such diseases in order to curb it's impact on society and how quickly we can initiate counter measures and ultimately save lives.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
haxxiy said:

Boa Vista had 25% seropositivity months ago, so I'd assume this 8% is at least five times underreported, even though it's probably the highest anywhere in the world for PCR tests.

By the way, today we have results from Maranhao from over 3,000 random blood samples, showing the state at 40,4% seropositivity:

https://jornaldebrasilia.com.br/brasil/incidencia-de-covid-19-no-maranhao-chega-a-404-a-maior-taxa-do-brasil/

I'd assume most states from the North and Northeast, and Rio, have similar numbers.

Pernambuco estimated numbers  according to some frameworks are from 600 to 800 thousand cases, roughly 5-7 times the reported numbers. I don't think we can get herd immunity with only 10% contamination rate though, so here the odds of a new outbreak (less deadly than the first of course) are strong

jason1637 said:

He has to be a exception.... otherwise this damn virus will be with us forever.
Still if hes like 1 person in the world, out of 24 million+ cases over a periode of ~5-6 months to be confirmed reinfected.
Theres a low chance of that happending right?

JRPGfan said:
jason1637 said:

Still if hes like 1 person in the world, out of 24 million+ cases over a periode of ~5-6 months to be confirmed reinfected.

He could have a low immune system response.

Normally when we catch a virus the body builds "anti-bodies" to prevent reinfection, sadly for the human body... The anti-bodies that some people create aren't as long lasting or as extensive as another individuals.

In short, everyone is different.

I wouldn't be taking this news of reinfection as gospel and applicable to everyone at large, for all we know he was doing chemotherapy which resets the immune system or already had immune-deficiency from something like HIV/AIDS.

Just not enough information.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

JRPGfan said:
jason1637 said:

Why wouldn't it be with us forever? Other human coronaviruses have been and will probably always be circulating forever.

If I remember, the Oxford vaccine given to monkeys didn't prevent re-infection, but it did prevent severe disease, no pneumonia.

To me, it sounds like reinfection to some extent is probably way more common, the recent reports are the only officially confirmed/documented cases.

but the good news is, the guy that was reinfected was asymptomatic, indicating resistance/some degree of immunity

"The man, 33, who was "young and healthy," had mild symptoms the first time - cough, fever, sore throat, and headache, according to Stat News - and his reinfection was discovered four and a half months later on Aug. 15 after he returned from Spain via the UK. Researchers said he probably got the strain circulating through Europe in July and August, and he had no reported symptoms the second time around."

"It may be that second infections, when they do occur, are not serious - though we don't know whether this person was infectious during their second episode."