By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

jason1637 said:
61k new cases today in the US. Guess were a 2orld leader on what not to do during a pandemic.

Well, Trump said "America first", after all. Though probably his followers had something different in mind with that...

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
Chicho said:

Nobody gets their results "hours later" I know people who had to wait a week and people that waited longer than a week,i think the fastest is like 3 days.

There are a few factors that play into the return on results.  There are currently several tests in use.  The time period for results on them alone vary from several days to just 20 minutes. Then you have to consider where the actual test is performed.  You may have your sample collected at one location but it might get sent to a back logged state lab 200 miles away.  It's the delivery and wait time that contribute to the "longer than a week" time for results rather than the test itself.  Some places can collect your sample and give you a result in under an hour.

vivster said:

Dude, you talk as if the US had any kind of accountability. The narrative isn't silly, it's the US that is silly, where blatant and openly admitted fraud and corruption go unpunished.

Hell yes the US is fudging numbers, not necessarily at a national or state level, but they sure do and will continue to try their best to suppress numbers in any way possible.

Then what level is fudging the numbers and how? You say it's not federal or national level which suggests local level. How and why. Explain both.

Everybody that says they are fudging the numbers fails to provide a valid method on how they are doing it or why they are doing it.  In fact, most people say they are inflating their numbers, not suppressing them.

The People claiming inflated numbers are obviously right wing nut jobs sucking on Trump's teets. There is absolutely no benefit in inflating numbers, but there sure are benefits for suppressing them.

Florida is the best example as there we know of definite attempts to suppress numbers to make the state look better. It's also subtle things at the local level where tests on dead people aren't happening at all because nothing outside of hospitals counts. Some counties just don't want to look bad or just don't want to put in the effort. And when you think about the horrible situation with completely unqualified coroners around the country, there are bound to be overlooked deaths, unintentional or otherwise.

So we know there were attempts to suppress them on purpose, we know some cases are suppressed by incompetence and we know some cases are suppressed by an insufficient counting policy.

Just have a look at the CDC's page for excess deaths. There are tens of thousands of unaccounted deaths.

Last edited by vivster - on 09 July 2020

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Pemalite said:
EricHiggin said:

Sure, but unless that faulty part is in every single vehicle, you don't force all people to stop driving their vehicles until the vehicles with issues are back to proper form. You single out the specific vehicle models, and the owners of those models have to deal with the inconvenience, not everyone. Unless that is how things are done there, which I don't believe is the case, correct?

All vehicles are never taken off the road at the same time... Even when we had that vehicle flaw in dozens of vehicle models a few years ago, the replacements occurred over a period of months.

If all vehicles are subject to the same flaw, then you need to get in touch with various outlets to book a time for that repair/replacement to occur, it's a logistics thing... The issue gets resolved over a period of time, not all at once.

Those who do not need to drive their vehicles, should minimize such use as much as practicable.

The same thing occurs with COVID, everyone needs to stay at home, unless you are an essential worker.

EricHiggin said:

Yes, the Gov does get involved at times, but they don't always have to. It's not as clear cut when you're talking about the entire world and all it's different types of medical systems, Gov run or not, but they don't necessarily have to be involved in everything, and yet things work quite well, though never perfect.

If you have a competent government, they should get involved.

EricHiggin said:

I'm not saying freedom or bust. I'm saying somewhat limited freedom is almost always better than as little freedom as possible. You don't kick everyone off the road because some drivers/cars are having deadly issues, just like you don't lock everyone inside when there's some people having deadly health issues. You do your best to take care of those who are having the problems, yet warn everyone else of the dangers and let them decide.

I am free to go to the pub.
I am free to go to the sauna.
I am free to go to the gym.
I am free to go to work.

Why? I gave up some freedom for a few weeks, went into lockdown and only did the "essentials".

And now I have a ton of freedom, almost like the Virus doesn't exist. (Because it doesn't here.)

What you are saying is good in theory... But it hasn't worked. The United States has failed. It's the laughing stock of the world in how not to handle a pandemic.

EricHiggin said:

How many people have heard that a certain vehicle had a recent recall for a major problem, yet got killed in an accident by being struck by that same recalled vehicle shortly after? Should they have been given the choice to drive or be a passenger? That may only be just one person in all of human history, but if every last equal life matters, then things needs to change drastically and quickly.

It was advertised in News Papers, Social Media, Radio, Television, Bill-boards and more.
It was everywhere.

If there is a major problem, the manufacturers of said vehicles have an obligation to get in touch and inform their customers of their rights and obligations in handling the "warranty issue". - Australia has some of the best warranty processes in the world.

Every life matters, this isn't even up for debate, I am a first responder... Anyone who downplays even a single life lost is not a decent individual in my eyes.

EricHiggin said:

The problem is we can't predict the future worth a damn. The further we look ahead, the more wrong we tend to be. For all we know, what we did to the economy will have worse implications than those directly related to the covid 19 illness itself. Which is why the choice needs to be put in people's hands as much as possible, and not the Gov. If you've screwed yourself or others over which led to negative covid 19 consequences, that's on you for not being a decent citizen. If you choose to remain quarantined, to be extra safe or out of necessity, even if it means a lack of free market income, then that's also your choice as a citizen.

False. We have a representational democracy. - We elect officials to make the difficult choices on our behalf, using the most up to date, informed and accurate pieces of information backed by science and evidence that fits in with the legislative frameworks that have already been established.

The United States economy has already been impacted... And due to the rapid spread of COVID in the United States will mean that the economic impact will be a prolonged one, longer than ours.
We won, we beat the virus, the USA is still fumbling over it all, we were right in our approach, the USA was blatantly wrong.

When it comes to Pandemics, people need to be cohesive in their resolve, otherwise nothing will work.
Australia and New Zealand collectively and cohesively went into lockdown early, defeated the virus and returned to economic activity... The USA however, didn't. People went out and demanded "freedom", protested and more. - The virus continues to run rampant killing hundreds of thousands of people...

The United States has done nothing to keep anyone safe and healthy. It's response has been a disgusting joke.. And the issue there starts at the very top.

One person with the virus being selfish and ignorant could infect 100 other people in a day by not conforming to social distancing, hygiene and sanitation and staying home... And those people go on to infect more people.

It's selfish people that are the spreaders of disease, it's the American government not placing appropriate education, signage, alerts and policy that has failed to direct and lead the country that are a big problem.

Elect real leadership, start winning.

And we don't need to "predict the future". - When it comes to things like wild fires, pandemics, hurricanes and more... We have "all hazards approach" to planning which is a framework on how we prevent, prepare, respond and recover from any large incident such as COVID.
I probably have a little more understanding on this kind of thing than most considering I have done a diploma in emergency management.

EricHiggin said:

Some countries who didn't do much to stop the spread are also in reasonable shape. Some countries who've done less testing have better looking numbers. Who's undoubtedly doing it right and who's doing it wrong? I don't think there's any answer that can undeniably answer that, long term.

The countries who have done the right thing are the ones who have defeated the virus. (New Zealand.)

The countries who have done the wrong thing are the ones who are still fumbling and dealing with the virus. (United States.)

Couldn't be anymore black and white than that... Unless you are trying to assert that the United States has been successful?

Can't agree with you more that this whole pandemic is kept going by selfish people.

It feels like a giant prisoner's dilemma experiment. If everyone (the world) worked together this virus wouldn't have stood a chance. Yet it's too tempting to be the one to grab the 'pot' not realizing you only make it worse in the long run for everyone. From house parties to security guards sleeping with quarantined guests... Humanity has failed this 'test' miserably. We should be very grateful the IFR is 1% or less and hopefully no real damaging long term effects show up.

Even if we defeat the virus now, we still have to deal with importing more cases and people not quarantining for 2 weeks like they are supposed to. The irony is that all those teenagers and 20 somethings are only damaging their own future by making the economic fallout much worse than it could have been. Plus who knows what long term effects the prolonged school closures and haphazard home schooling will have.

Time to head out for groceries again, week 16 since shit hit the fan here.

The situation around COVID is very concerning. When it first became clear that the virus was spreading and becoming a pandemic, my personal thoughts were that the only way this can end is with a vaccine or by letting it run it's course. It's nice to be able to work from home while my wife collects unemployment checks that are worth double what she actually made while working, but that's only short-term. The long-term is what worries me.

The politics around this issue are shitty. If a politician spoke out with similar thoughts to the ones I expressed in my previous paragraph, they would lose supporters. People want to hear that things are going to get better if they stay at home and wear masks, but with how relaxed the restrictions are here (USA), it's only going to curb the spread; the virus isn't disappearing. So the question is, how long, and at what cost, do we keep pretending that staying home is fixing the problem. The goal posts keep moving.

The fact of the matter is that making the virus spread stop completely requires the compliance of just about every single person in our nation (or the world) to take it seriously, and that can't happen when people are at the point of wanting to relax restrictions.

So yeah, be a good citizen, stay at home, wear a mask, etc, etc, but just know that some asshat is offsetting everyone else' efforts by going to the grocery store during peak hours and wearing his mask under his nose, and then coughing on the cashier, who is only doing her job because she's "essential". Just like GameStop is essential.

Frist look into the economic fallout in Canada

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/the-challenge-of-our-lifetime-federal-deficit-to-hit-343-billion-this-year-1.5015467

The federal deficit is projected to hit $343.2 billion this fiscal year, due in large part to massive economic aid and stimulus plans—that are on-par with Second World War level spending— The deficit projection released Wednesday is up dramatically from the latest pre-pandemic economic update in December 2019, which pegged the deficit at $28.1 billion in 2020-21.

Citing the “extraordinary borrowing” the federal government is currently engaged in, the government says the federal debt will exceed $1.2 trillion by the end of the fiscal year, up from $765 billion in the previous fiscal year. With unemployment rates set to remain high into next year, the government is also projecting a $71.1-billion decline in tax revenue, including a $40.8-billion loss in income taxes. 

“This spending level is on par with, but lower than the peak deficit (as a per cent of GDP) experienced by Canada during the Second World War. This is truly the challenge of our lifetime."

In total, the federal government has spent more than $231 billion in health and safety measures as well as on direct aid to Canadians and businesses over the course of the pandemic so far. Due to the COVID-19 spending, the federal government now projects its debt-to-GDP ratio will rise to 49.1 per cent in 2020-21. In the pre-pandemic December economic update, Canada’s debt-to-GDP ratio was at 30.9 per cent and was projected to remain on track to reduce incrementally over the next few years.

Yet they also see it as an opportunity to rebuild/reshape a better economy and thanks to the low interest rates not all is as bad as it seems

“Even after our historic investments, Canada will continue to hold its low-debt advantage. This, combined with historically low interest rates, gave us the balance sheet to deploy our fiscal firepower to support Canadians through this,” Morneau said, though noted that his and likely future governments will have to face up to the deficit.

Still looks pretty scary in pictures

Citing economists, in the snapshot the government says the overall economy is expected to contract by 6.8 per cent in 2020, which is its sharpest drop since the Great Depression, before rebounding by 5.5 per cent in 2021. Based on forecasts by more than a dozen private sector economists, the government is projecting an unemployment rate of 9.8 per cent in 2020 and 7.8 per cent in 2021.

All of this is contingent on how the ongoing health crisis is managed, the government notes throughout the snapshot, emphasizing the economy’s health is largely in the hands of Canadians’ efforts to stave off a second wave of the novel coronavirus.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/we-can-t-let-up-key-issues-to-address-before-second-wave-of-covid-19-1.5016754

Canadians must continue to adhere to public health measures, including physical distancing that has proven to help flatten the curve of coronavirus infections across the country. It could be a challenge with COVID-19 “fatigue” settling in as much of the country closes out its 17th week of widespread restrictions.
“We can’t let up,” said Buchman. “We have to continue to be vigilant about the public health measures. If we’re not doing that we can suffer another lockdown and way more restrictions.”

To ensure public health measures are clear and feasible, the messaging from health authorities should be consistent, said Buchman. But this has been an issue since the pandemic began and it became clear that people were confused by guidance being issues, particularly as it related to face coverings. “It’s clearer lately with regards to mask wearing,” said Buchman, noting numerous jurisdictions that have started to enforce mandatory face coverings in indoor public spaces.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/canada-not-ready-for-second-wave-of-covid-19-senate-committee-says-1.5017314

A new report from a committee of senators says the country is ill-prepared to handle a second wave of COVID-19. The Senate's social affairs committee says the federal government needs to pay urgent attention to seniors in long-term care homes where outbreaks and deaths in the pandemic have been concentrated. There are also concerns in the report about the vulnerability of low-income seniors should there be a second wave of the novel coronavirus later this year.

Senators on the committee say the national emergency stockpile of personal protective gear like masks, gowns and gloves, wasn't managed well over the years, nor sufficiently stocked when the pandemic struck the country in March. Committee members add concerns that military members could be deployed without sufficient personal protective equipment because of "inconsistencies from international procurement."

Around the Network
Immersiveunreality said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

That was just an example, my point is it's hardly the end of mankind so I'm just not gonna treat it differently than all the other things that can kill. I do wear a mask when I go out still (even if only to avoid confrontation) and I've been social distancing long before the pooh virus so you don't gotta worry about me, but I ain't gonna shame people if they decide not take any more precaution than they normally would.

I would like to shame some for always making me put the shopping carts together whenever they just push it in the needed direction from afar and uncleaned or leaving the cleaning tissues in the cart itself.

Really,lately almost every time i go shopping these days i'm putting the shopping carts back in order. :P

Here in USA we have cart corrals in parking lots where you push it into and then eventually a worker comes and gathers them up and pushes them back to front of store.  There is no need to line up the carts in the corral. 

In fact I push my cart into corral the hardest I can push just to see it slam against the metal corral.  Cracks me up and doesn't even damage carts (believe me I try).  Hey least I'm better than just leaving it in parking lot outside corral where it can dent cars.

RaptorChrist said:
The situation around COVID is very concerning. When it first became clear that the virus was spreading and becoming a pandemic, my personal thoughts were that the only way this can end is with a vaccine or by letting it run it's course. It's nice to be able to work from home while my wife collects unemployment checks that are worth double what she actually made while working, but that's only short-term. The long-term is what worries me.

The politics around this issue are shitty. If a politician spoke out with similar thoughts to the ones I expressed in my previous paragraph, they would lose supporters. People want to hear that things are going to get better if they stay at home and wear masks, but with how relaxed the restrictions are here (USA), it's only going to curb the spread; the virus isn't disappearing. So the question is, how long, and at what cost, do we keep pretending that staying home is fixing the problem. The goal posts keep moving.

The fact of the matter is that making the virus spread stop completely requires the compliance of just about every single person in our nation (or the world) to take it seriously, and that can't happen when people are at the point of wanting to relax restrictions.

So yeah, be a good citizen, stay at home, wear a mask, etc, etc, but just know that some asshat is offsetting everyone else' efforts by going to the grocery store during peak hours and wearing his mask under his nose, and then coughing on the cashier, who is only doing her job because she's "essential". Just like GameStop is essential.

Shouldn't you have said sneezing on cashier because the last time I checked people cough out of their mouth not nose.

sethnintendo said:
Immersiveunreality said:

I would like to shame some for always making me put the shopping carts together whenever they just push it in the needed direction from afar and uncleaned or leaving the cleaning tissues in the cart itself.

Really,lately almost every time i go shopping these days i'm putting the shopping carts back in order. :P

Here in USA we have cart corrals in parking lots where you push it into and then eventually a worker comes and gathers them up and pushes them back to front of store.  There is no need to line up the carts in the corral. 

In fact I push my cart into corral the hardest I can push just to see it slam against the metal corral.  Cracks me up and doesn't even damage carts (believe me I try).  Hey least I'm better than just leaving it in parking lot outside corral where it can dent cars.

The store I go to has 'trained' people to bring the carts back by requiring a dollar (or token) to use the cart. They disabled that for Covid19 but people still bring the carts back. The returned carts go on the other side to be cleaned (I clean it myself before and after anyway, just to be sure and courtesy to the guy having to clean them). They use one extra employee to clean and return the carts to the pickup side while keeping count of people entering and leaving the store to regulate traffic. Pretty easy low cost solution.

Much better now, no left over produce and discarded fliers in the carts anymore.

Next to figure out what to make with this, new item in the supermarket. Stumped 4 cashiers :)

One of the worst parts about this whole pandemic is that wearing a mask as become political.....I mean WTF is wrong with these people... all around the wold people are wearing them courtesy to fellow man while in an other( just 1 ) its the devils work?....

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Arizona and Florida and probably some other states look to be reaching testing capacity. In Arizona testing is down but positives are now peaking at 30%. In Florida testing is down but they reported a high of 18.4% positivity. Were also starting to see the death rate rise. Texas and Arizona had their peak deaths a few days ago. California came close to its peak the other day. Floriday has had its peak deaths today.