By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

SvennoJ said:
JRPGfan said:

However apart from Sweden + UK, most other places in "europe" have beat down the coronavirus to very small numbers.

Europe 16.3K cases per day, 812 reported deaths per day, 96.3% week over week decline. (Russia, UK and Sweden keeping the decline at bay)

Its crazy that Russia + Uk + Sweden is like 70% of the new daily cases in europe atm.

The sweden one hurts (imo), their our neighbors and we have bridge we danes can take to easily cross over to sweden.
Which is allowed for work, but apparently normal people have been makeing use of (who shouldn't be).

Resently a gymnasium class was sent home, back to online teaching, because a group of 10 went on a "field" trip themselves to sweden in the weekend.
They wanted to see, and experiance how differntly things were in sweden (ei. basically no lockdown at all).

What happend? they came back and 6 outta the 10, got the virus.
They closed down the gymnasium class, and told them all to go home to study online, because these guys had a field trip.

We've had stupid women that go to sweden to use a gym! or get hair cuts!
We've had stupid danes that go there to buy cheap soft drinks! like what the hell.

And without a doubt, its causeing our handleing of the virus (and how fast we get rid of it) to be slower/harder.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 05 June 2020

Around the Network

What the.... Coronavirus Update was showing 1200+ deaths and ~29,000 new cases for the US.
Now a hour lateron its 970 deaths, and 25,200 new cases.

You know guys this Covid thing ain't so bad if you think about it....No school buses to slow you down...Roads themselves are lighter than normal. Gas is cheap..etc...

JRPGfan said:
What the.... Coronavirus Update was showing 1200+ deaths and ~29,000 new cases for the US.
Now a hour lateron its 970 deaths, and 25,200 new cases.

If you're using worldometers I think this might be why:

"NOTE: Michigan is now reporting probable COVID-19 cases and deaths. These are added to the confirmed ones in order to form the total, as per CDC guidelines. 4,928 probable cases and 240 probable deaths are being added to the Michigan total today. These will be soon redistributed historically based on Michigan's confirmed trends. "Probable cases include individuals with COVID-19 symptoms and an epidemiologic link to confirmed COVID-19, but no diagnostic test" [source]

NOTE: Suffolk County (New York State) reports 15,080 "individuals not previously tested for COVID-19 who have tested positive for antibodies." [source] The county had started reporting antibody positives since May 8, so we are adjusting the time series as well. Following CDC guidelines, probable cases are added to confirmed cases to form the total case value. As indicated by other states: "Probable cases are those who test positive by other testing methods such as antibody or antigen, and have recent symptoms consistent with COVID-19, indicating a recent infection." [source] Finally, since a positive antibody test indicates that the person had been infected and later recovered from COVID-19, the same value is being added to the recovered total count for the county."

John2290 said:

They really just need to tell people to wash their hands after they shit, wear a mask and let people do their thing. They lost control and some of them are desperately trying to still hold onto laws for the pandemic. Open up in full but don't do this...

Hey, wait a minute...ain't Contra Costa County somewhere in California ?  C'mon man, what happens in California doesn't speak for the rest of the USA !

Around the Network

I love the protests in London these days. Great social distancing you got going on there. Way to throw everyone's effort to contain the virus in the bin. Fucking retards. 

EnricoPallazzo said:

In this case I agree with you 100%. Actually I believe a HUGE % of he contagion could have been avoided using just social distancing, working from home, closing internal and external borders, masks and avoiding public transport and etc. Of course we would still have deaths, a huge impact on the economy and unemployment, but it would be much lower than what we had and much less traumatic.

But then we have the cultural factor I mentioned to you and you exposed very well. The western world is very attached to "muh liberties" even when it is bad for us and the others. That is different in Asia for several reasons that wont go into.

Several democratic "liberal" countries didn't have the issues the US had. Again... Australia and New Zealand.
It seems the people of the USA aren't willing to comply with government directives for one reason or another, even if it benefits the entire nation.

Partly that is due to the political climate where Democrats believe that a Republican president isn't their "leader" (Seriously, wake up, Trump is your leader.) and the Republicans believe that a Democrat isn't their leader either. (They are.)

So obviously they refuse to listen or comply.

There is definitely a cultural part of it, but it's very interesting to analyze the reactions when the government does *anything* in the USA.

EnricoPallazzo said:

Also there is the problem of backlash of media and social media. I definitely dont like trump but I like his style of having balls to make some decisions even if the media is going to hate. I remembered when he decided to close the borders for certain regions how he got destroyed everywhere. It was one of the first 1st world countries to close the borders. I said to my wife "now he had the balls to do it, others will follow". Which happened. And now the same media agrees it was the best decision.

Not a fan of him either and he did take swift action on stopping travel from China, he needs to be given praise for that, credit where credit is due, it was the right decision in hindsight.

The fact is, the virus was already world-wide at that point, Trump needed a complete shut down that would have prevented travel from say... Indonesia.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

John2290 said:
Nighthawk117 said:

Hey, wait a minute...ain't Contra Costa County somewhere in California ?  C'mon man, what happens in California doesn't speak for the rest of the USA !

Indeed, you've got a few states that are sensible in this but most are so scared to say no to the protesters it's the same sentiment, I just thought this image really encapsulates the whole thing. It's batshit crazy that the Governor of Michigan goes on a protest while at the same time telling people to keep locked down and keeping parts of the economy shut off under the rule of law, I think they have a term for this these day, something about clowns and the world. I'm trying yo rectify this in my mind and all i can come up with is, now that it is their voter base that is killing people, they don't give a fiddlers and only see the votes but that's too simple an answer for this fuckery. I swear we are all in purgatory like the cast from Lost and like that show none of it makes any sense at all.  

The protests are even more reason that we should not be opening back up. As they are a risk factor for the spread of covid, we should be continuing to reduce contact between people to keep the likely spike down as much as possible. Remember, if we had shut down the country sooner, the amount of people who died from covid would have been much lower. If you don't like thinking about this as the end of a preventative measure, think of it as the beginning of a new one.

As for why we are "allowing" the protests, I think there are two main reasons. The first is that the right to protest is protected under our Constitution. Law Enforcement cannot legally stop people from protesting (although many have certainly tried over the last week). The second is that I don't believe attempting to stop the protests would be effective. Attempting to stop the protests would likely be interpreted as a means of silencing the movement and we would see a significant push back against it. Actions of protesters often mirrors the actions of the police. If the police use incredibly heavy handed methods, the protests would likely escalate (again, which makes it so ludicrous that police are still acting so forcefully).

This is what happens when you have an idiot president make disinfectant suggestions to his followers that aren't the brightest bulbs of the bunch. Someone help I'm living in nation surrounded by idiots! 

It was a small study of only 500 so let's just hope they just ran into a few outliers.  Washing fruits and vegetables with bleach, inhaling vapors from cleaners and gargling/drinking bleach.... Also people potentially making chlorine gas by mixing vinegar with bleach (I'm sure some also tried ammonia and bleach). What is wrong with these people?

https://www.livescience.com/covid-19-dangerous-cleaning-practices.html

"However, there were dangerous gaps in their knowledge. For example, only about one-third said that bleach should not be mixed with vinegar. This mixture can produce chlorine gas, which can cause irritation of the eyes, throat and nose and potentially lead to breathing problems, Live Science previously reported.

What's more, 39% of participants said they had engaged in potentially harmful cleaning practices in the last month in an effort to prevent COVID-19. For example, 19% said they had used bleach to wash food items such as fruits and vegetables, which is not recommended because ingesting bleach is hazardous. (People should use plain water to wash fruits and vegetables, Live Science previously reported.)

In addition, 18% reported using household cleaners or disinfectant products on their hands or skin, 10% reported misting their body with a cleaning or disinfectant spray, 6% reported inhaling vapors from household cleansers or disinfectants and 4% reported drinking or gargling diluted bleach solutions."

Last edited by sethnintendo - on 06 June 2020

JRPGfan said:
SvennoJ said:

Europe 16.3K cases per day, 812 reported deaths per day, 96.3% week over week decline. (Russia, UK and Sweden keeping the decline at bay)

Its crazy that Russia + Uk + Sweden is like 70% of the new daily cases in europe atm.

The sweden one hurts (imo), their our neighbors and we have bridge we danes can take to easily cross over to sweden.
Which is allowed for work, but apparently normal people have been makeing use of (who shouldn't be).

Resently a gymnasium class was sent home, back to online teaching, because a group of 10 went on a "field" trip themselves to sweden in the weekend.
They wanted to see, and experiance how differntly things were in sweden (ei. basically no lockdown at all).

What happend? they came back and 6 outta the 10, got the virus.
They closed down the gymnasium class, and told them all to go home to study online, because these guys had a field trip.

We've had stupid women that go to sweden to use a gym! or get hair cuts!
We've had stupid danes that go there to buy cheap soft drinks! like what the hell.

And without a doubt, its causeing our handleing of the virus (and how fast we get rid of it) to be slower/harder.

Danes are welcomed to Sweden, I hope your country will show the same courtesy as I'm sure there are many Swedes that want to visit Tivoli this summer.

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!