By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

By the way J2290, put that in your pipe and smoke it !!!

Last edited by Nighthawk117 - on 19 May 2020

Around the Network

Spoke....Where art thou be? We need math...We need numbers....Spoke.....

John2290 said:

It's partially true, no doubt. Canadian men in general are quite a bit softer than they used to be, and it's partially because of the widespread nonstop 'all males are bad for reasons' messaging being pushed. Our wet noodle of a P.M. has just accelerated things.

Though it's nowhere near as bad in conservative households/relationships. The same political divide and what comes with that in America is happening in Canada as well, just not to the same degree of separation, not yet anyway.

One of the biggest problems Canadians have is we are way too passive and forgiving until we are not. If through outside or inside influence, we happen to somehow reach that edge, Canada will snap back, and snap back hard. Sometimes it takes 'whiplash' to clue people in unfortunately.

Yeah, Indeed. I know it's just the loud minority, I know provinces are very different and all that but it's the face of Canada now for better or worse... mostly worse. I know all Canadians don't think everyone is racist by default or every man is sexist, whatever it was that started this thread. 

That political divide is happening almost everywhere, the lunacy middle aged white women and social media have brought into the world is being pushed back everywhere and in Canada, yeah but lad, it's going to take a lot more to cure Canada than some push back or leadership change, it's mothers teaching their childern and then one upping themselves again and again to the point of loosing all sanity or reason. I don't see Canadians just snapping out of this, It's gonna take a generation of kids to revolt and then that generation to grow old enough to make real change at scale. I'm not sure there is anything that can accelerate this besides... (oh wait, I forgot about the pandemic)... harsh times for a reality check.

At least Canada isn't the lost hope the UK is or the structural mess the US is. Maybe the after effects of this pandemic is what the world needs, the early 20th century really strengthened the latter half of the decade and provide the people who brough the greatest time in the history of humanity to take place, that should happen again after we toughen up and loose the trivial nonsense we were going on with. 

This is what it may very well come to. Things getting worse, leading to hard times, depending on your definition of hard, which leads to change. It's nowhere near that just yet, but it's increasingly drifting in that direction.

By snapping out of it, I mean like a rubber band. Stretch the nonsense to the point it finally breaks free and snaps back. That's how many Canadians are. Very nice and kind and laid back, until they finally hit the breaking point, and then look out.

SvennoJ said:
EricHiggin said:

Certainly sad and unfortunate what happened to them, though would the death and injury have been avoided if there was no lock down?

Trying to inspire because of Covid 19 during lock down, which is in place because it's possible you may have Covid 19, and possible you may transmit/contract it, therefore, we must lock down everyone because if it leads to saving just one life, it's worth it.

Sad to know that the Snowbirds and all stunt pilots worldwide will never be allowed to fly over heavily populated area's again. If they could crash into your home, and possibly kill you, then we must redirect these flights, because if it saves just one life, it'll be worth it.

To my untrained eye, it looks like a mechanical problem which could have happened regardless of why they were flying. And not to fly over populated areas would mean moving all airports, this happened right after take off. They had not even gained enough height to eject safely hence the one death.

They flew over here last week, just with a smoke trail, no stunts. That barrel roll right after take off wasn't planned I think.

And yes, they have many regulations to safe just one life. When doing stunts they have a designated sky box to perform them in, so in case something goes wrong they don't crash into houses or spectators. However, to fly, first one must take off. Moving airports to save lives, or not building houses next to airports to save lives is one of those things where common sense fails. Same as Pickering, why build a nuclear power plant so close to a major city. Just give all the people that live near by iodide pills just to be safe...

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/nuclear-scare-prompts-thousands-of-orders-for-potassium-iodide-pills-1.4766297

In an emailed statement to CTVNews.ca Monday, Senior Communications Advisor for the City of Toronto Alex Burke said that the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission, “requires that all homes and businesses within 10 km of a nuclear power station receive a supply of potassium iodide (KI) pills. Toronto residents within 10 km of the Pickering Nuclear Generating Station (residents living east of Morningside Road) receive KI pills automatically in the mail free of charge. Residents outside the 10-km zone but within 50 km of the station are also eligible for free KI pills that can be ordered online.”

It was a false alert, but come one, we have tons of space, why build it there. Just to safe the cost on power lines? And now they extended its lifespan by another 8 years. Nuclear power plants, one of those things you want to stick to the best before date!

Edit: trained eye perspective

Military pilot here: The jet had some kind of major engine warning or malfunction over the runway. With any engine related issue we are trained to zoom up, trading airspeed for altitude, and come around to low/final key (a position where a no engine forced landing can be made). This is what they attempted. That is why they are climbing and turning. While turning toward low/final key, they departed controlled flight (aggravated stall and spin) due to the lost of thrust. It was probably at this point the decision was made to eject. The tutor is not a zero/zero ejection seat like modern jets, and they were already in an aggressive downward vector. You can see one chute begin to open before the camera pans away.

Peoples lives are at risk here and we can't afford to take risks. It's for everyone's own good. Are airshows really more important than lives?

Spoke.....?????

Help us Spoke. Come back, Spoke. Come back. Come back. (Like the girl said at the end of the Titanic movie)

Around the Network
Nighthawk117 said:
Help us Spoke. Come back, Spoke. Come back. Come back. (Like the girl said at the end of the Titanic movie)

Na probably not there yet. Maybe the sketch or car scene? Don't wanna rush that.

Spoke..........Where......art.........thou.......??????

Spoke...We need you bro....Where might you be? Are you hurt??? Are you in pain???? Are you in hiding ???? Where the hell are you???

melbye said:
The Chinese government is solely responsible for all 315000+ people that has died from the Covid-19 virus, if saying that makes me racist then i am racist

Largely responsible, not solely responsible, nations like the United States could have mitigated their obscene death rates, but screwed up catastrophically and dropped the ball. - That issue and blame starts from the very top in that country, not China. - China gets the blame for kickstarting the issue, not continuing it.

man-bear-pig said:
End the mandatory lockdown. Now that the NHS capacity has increased capacity with the Nightingale hospitals it’s time the responsibility for people’s health was put into their own hands and if they wish to continue to self isolate then they can do so and those who want to get back to normality should be free to. The fact is that the average age of people dying with COVID-19 in the UK is higher than the average life expectancy and it hasn’t materialised as the once in a century event we thought it might be at the beginning. The economic damage from the ongoing lockdown has the potential to kill many more people than COVID-19 ever could

The death rate is lower due to mis-reporting of statistics, better technology (respirators), people socially distancing and being educated in hygiene.

If the virus was to 'run rampant' the death rate could have been catastrophically higher.

The issue is with people becoming complacent, throwing all that hard work out the window to make a dollar... WILL result in more people killed... COVID as an issue is pretty much ended in many nations, the issue will exist in the USA for many months to come.

crissindahouse said:
Nighthawk117 said:
There won't be a war between China and the US. What is needed is economic sanctions on China.

Man, if we would put sanctions on every country for lying about stuff and for doing stuff which kills a lot of people, the USA would be more broke than Venezuela already. Just imagine how the USA would look if they would be sanctioned for all their lies regarding the Iraq. 

Damn, it would look ugly for the USA. 

Or if the USA would be sanctioned for a president blackmailing pretty much every other country on this planet to do what he wants or to feel the consequences. Hey Mr. Trump I'm talking about you. 

Trump lies, deflects and changes his story pretty much every time he opens his mouth...

It was interesting watching the United Nations speeches, Trump was all ME ME ME ME ME... Not the USA. The world. All about himself. - Did you know that the United States is run by Americans according to Trump? Didn't know the USA had a history of electing citizens in other countries as their president/elected officials.

Where a more competent leader like Jacinda Ardern was more empathetic and wanted to collaborate with other nations to beat issues like COVID rather than talk herself up.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Nighthawk117 said:
SJ...Let me ask you a simple question or two....

1. Do you believe this virus originated in Wuhan China?

2. Do you believe this virus originated in a wet market?

I guess you mean me.

I think it originated in China, not necessarily in Wuhan but close to.
The Pangolin cross over story looks plausible to me, but it could have been civets (again) as well.
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00548-w
Direct infection from bats is not plausible, nor an engineered virus or lab experiment/accident.
Civets were the intermediate host for the outbreak in 2003
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2003/may/24/china.sars
One of China's first confirmed Sars patients, Huang Xingchu, 34, worked as a cook in a Shenzhen restaurant.

Both Civets and Pangolins are used for consumption, Pangolins are also used in traditional medicine.
Somewhere between capture, transport, wet market, preparation and consumption, someone got infected.

It seems likely the first version of Sars-Cov-2 was already around at the end of October near or in Wuhan. The first confirmed case of covid-19 was there on November 17th, 2 weeks after the games ended, and it seems more and more likely that military athletes already brought the virus back to Europe and North America after the games ended.

https://www.news18.com/news/sports/new-revelations-from-world-military-games-participants-hint-at-covid-19-spread-in-china-in-october-2625391.html
https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1094347/world-military-games-illness-covid-19

EricHiggin said:

Peoples lives are at risk here and we can't afford to take risks. It's for everyone's own good. Are airshows really more important than lives?

The difference is, you can risk your own life for whatever you want but you should not put the lives of others at risk if you can help it. Air shows have been made much safer than they ever were. Yet look at Kamloops airport, houses build right behind the runway, that's dumb planning.

According to ABC News, there is an average of five small plane crashes each day, resulting in approximately 500 deaths annually.

With most crashes happening on take off or landing, a bit of a ditch margin between airport and residential area would be the smart thing to have. Or we could ban small planes and save 500 lives a year. The North kinda relies on those to survive though, yet the flying for fun crowd serve no purpose. Air shows, at least they are professionals and there's usually a good cause tied to the shows. Nothing like watching someone risk their live to donate some money to a good cause.

Is baseball more important than lives?
https://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/25926592/fan-struck-head-foul-ball-dodgers-game-died-blunt-force-injury

Preventable deaths are just stupid. No need to ban baseball or air shows or living, safety is more important than profit margins.