By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

Trumpstyle said:

And this can change if things don't goes well. We won't be able to compare Sweden and denmark intill September or something. Atleast they aren't recommending face masks! Where in germany they are mandated.

Source: https://www.thelocal.dk/20200508/denmark-to-lift-most-remaining-restrictions-in-early-june

Meanwhile Germany has less active cases than Sweden despite the population difference (8x) and the population density difference (10x)

Around the Network
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:
SvennoJ said:

Pah you tiny ant sized countries

Once our terraforming project is done (aka global warming) we'll populate the great North :)

I don't like the injustice that some nations have a lot of territory and many countries don't.
North America is made by nature, not by a particular nation.
They should accept a lot of immigrants.

Well there's the question of whether the British should have taken any of the land to begin with. If so, how much, and what can and can't be changed when it came to nature and how it may impact the natives? As of now though, much of Canada is not somewhere the average person would want to live. Even the most southern portions are not fun 5-6 months of the year for most, unless you like cold, snowy, icy weather. You don't have to go that far north for it to get that much colder and far more snowy. Places like Northern Ontario are heavily forested with little topsoil and rock directly below that. You can't really farm any of it for the most part. It would only be good for urban area's, if the people could deal with the cold and heaps of snow all winter long. It's vastly unpopulated for this reason. Canadians themselves don't really want to live up there, let alone even further north yet. You can keep cramming people into places like Toronto, that man made, but that slowly causes as many problems as it solves over time, and can be a huge hindrance/inconvenience in specific situations like a pandemic.

Last edited by EricHiggin - on 13 May 2020

So much fun having a cold in this pandemic.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I didn't say anything difficult.
If people have equal and equal rights, why do some people live in small lands and some have so many provinces?
Rich and poor, strong countries and weak countries, white people and people who don't .
These gaps are obviously ridiculous.

vivster said:
So much fun having a cold in this pandemic.

Hence why I got a Flu jab... Which was actually an operational requirement (that I am not arguing about!) for responding to emergencies where there are aged/disabled people.

You don't want COVID and the Flu, that would be a fucked situation.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Trumpstyle said:

What is going on in Denmark? They are not planning to open up stuff fully intill early august. Got this from an article.

"Phase 4, in 'early August', will see the following reopen: 

Nightclubs and discos
Gyms, waterparks and swimming pools
Universities and all other educational institutions"

And this can change if things don't goes well. We won't be able to compare Sweden and denmark intill September or something. Atleast they aren't recommending face masks! Where in germany they are mandated.

Source: https://www.thelocal.dk/20200508/denmark-to-lift-most-remaining-restrictions-in-early-june

Well, wearing face masks isn't mandated everywhere. Only in shops and so on.

Right now Germany has around 20k deaths less as Sweden would have with equal population so I can't complain much.

But with almost everything re-opening now (also gyms) I'm sure we will also get back to higher daily numbers soon. 

John2290 said:
Ka-pi96 said:

There's not really a clear line between Asia and Europe. The Greeks were just like, that place across the water (Anatolia) is Asia. They probably didn't even know that they were connected to it by a pretty huge land connection in modern day Russia at the time. Generally the dividing line is considered to be the Urals in Russia. But that's still incredibly arbitrary. It's just a random point on the map with no real significance that was chosen by some dude as the divide between "Europe" and "Asia".

It was started because as far as people knew there was a water divide between the two landmasses (fair enough), but probably continued mainly for the purposes of xenophobia and European "everybody else is a savage and we're the best" colonial BS. And now exists just because... it existed in the past.

In reality though, there is no "divide". Even the cultural argument is a load of bollocks. Do people really think "Europe" is different enough from the middle east to be considered a whole separate continent? But the middle east and China are culturally close enough to be the same? Ridiculous. Middle eastern countries are a LOT closer to "European" countries culturally than they are to east Asian countries.

Edit: And no, Eurasia wouldn't be considered a "7th continent" because with Eurasia there would only be 6 continents.

I meant seven continents, lol, I forgot about Antarctica. There are seven continents officially and Europe and Asia are two of them separately. You're right though and that's what i was saying, You can't include Russia with Europe these days or you'd have to include Asia too, the continental divide is meaningless sense people stopped colonizing and renaming things, So Svennoj should just stick to Europe as it is now and leave Russia out or Include Asian countries along with it. Sticking the Europe as a union is the only thing that makes sense when comparing. 

Australia is smaller than Europe so if you believe there are 7 continents then Australia is the smallest.

sethnintendo said:
John2290 said:

I meant seven continents, lol, I forgot about Antarctica. There are seven continents officially and Europe and Asia are two of them separately. You're right though and that's what i was saying, You can't include Russia with Europe these days or you'd have to include Asia too, the continental divide is meaningless sense people stopped colonizing and renaming things, So Svennoj should just stick to Europe as it is now and leave Russia out or Include Asian countries along with it. Sticking the Europe as a union is the only thing that makes sense when comparing. 

Australia is smaller than Europe so if you believe there are 7 continents then Australia is the smallest.

Why are we talking geography in the COVID thread?

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

So I've come down with the flu for the second time since the pandemic started. Told you guys that the flu is way worse than COVID-19.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Pemalite said:
sethnintendo said:

Why are we talking geography in the COVID thread?

No clue but I also didn't know Mediterranean and Baltic seas counted as landmasses with you plopping Australia on top of them.  Anyways some say there are 5 and some say 7.

One could discuss how difficult or easy virus can spread based on geographic location.  However since humans travel the globe even more than Spanish flu days being geographic isolated doesn't matter anymore.