By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

LurkerJ said:
Fallen out of date with the news.

How is everyone here doing? Any tested positive?

I am lucky enough to be a keyworker so I am not feeling the lockdown, and I have always practiced social distancing in my free time so my life has been largely unchanged, really.

Well, we're currently wondering if Covid19 has already passed us...

Military athletes (military olympics) attended Wuhan at the end of October (until October 27th)
The first detected case in China was less than 20 days after the games.
The athlete village was less than 20km from the wet market in Wuhan.
Many returning athletes complained of a strange illness (yet being young, fit and healthy, they didn't have severe symptoms)
Also in France returning athletes noticed the strange disease and the first case of community spread was traced back to late December.
Canada had 117 competing athletes in Wuhan.
My wife developed severe pneumonia at the end of Januari, including strange blood clots seen on scans, blue hands and sometimes up her arms due to lack of oxygen, lung function down to 20%, loss of smell and taste, anti biotics had no effect.
She was sick for a long time, sometimes wondering if she would make it through the night, struggling to get enough oxygen.
(I got a bad soar throat for over a month but can't remember if I had any other symptoms)

We did not think it was possible she could have gotten it that early, and are extra careful since if a 'normal' pneumonia already got her close to the ICU, what can Covid19 do to her... But with all these new stories emerging from the military Olympic games, it's not impossible that the spread is both slower and started much earlier than so far assumed. Among young fit people it would spread slower and largely unnoticed until it reaches more vulnerable parts of the population.

Luckily we're both sort of hermits so small chance that we spread it on if we actually had it, yet how could my wife have gotten it. My detective work kinda ends with the 117 Canadians returning since there's no list who and where from.

Anyway it doesn't change much. If it wasn't covid19, stay safe. Getting tested now would only risk exposure imo. It it was covid19, no guarantees that she's still immune for any new strains. And 3 months after immunity starts to fade back down, which is about now.

Around the Network
vivster said:
LurkerJ said:

I am lucky enough to be a keyworker so I am not feeling the lockdown, and I have always practiced social distancing in my free time so my life has been largely unchanged, really.

Everything is still very much fine over here. Provided the case numbers don't increase we might be able to fully open up in June, with a few ground rules in place. People are happy and praise the administration that did a great job to contain things. How are things in your country?

I think I contracted the infection before the lockdown early March. Developed a mean sore throat, back pain and hip pain 10 days after a trip to London, which is a hot spot for corona. No cough or fever though. It wasn't the usual flu-like symptoms and didn't feel like the common cold either, but I still felt sick and had a surprising diarrhea which I couldn't pin down to food poisoning because I am very careful with what I eat and how I prepare. I am 90% convinced it was COVID19 but I won't know for sure until antibody testing becomes the norm. 

SvennoJ said:
LurkerJ said:

Well, we're currently wondering if Covid19 has already passed us...

Military athletes (military olympics) attended Wuhan at the end of October (until October 27th)
The first detected case in China was less than 20 days after the games.
The athlete village was less than 20km from the wet market in Wuhan.
Many returning athletes complained of a strange illness (yet being young, fit and healthy, they didn't have severe symptoms)
Also in France returning athletes noticed the strange disease and the first case of community spread was traced back to late December.
Canada had 117 competing athletes in Wuhan.

My wife developed severe pneumonia at the end of Januari, including strange blood clots seen on scans, blue hands and sometimes up her arms due to lack of oxygen, lung function down to 20%, loss of smell and taste, anti biotics had no effect.
She was sick for a long time, sometimes wondering if she would make it through the night, struggling to get enough oxygen.
(I got a bad soar throat for over a month but can't remember if I had any other symptoms)

We did not think it was possible she could have gotten it that early, and are extra careful since if a 'normal' pneumonia already got her close to the ICU, what can Covid19 do to her... But with all these new stories emerging from the military Olympic games, it's not impossible that the spread is both slower and started much earlier than so far assumed. Among young fit people it would spread slower and largely unnoticed until it reaches more vulnerable parts of the population.

Luckily we're both sort of hermits so small chance that we spread it on if we actually had it, yet how could my wife have gotten it. My detective work kinda ends with the 117 Canadians returning since there's no list who and where from.

Anyway it doesn't change much. If it wasn't covid19, stay safe. Getting tested now would only risk exposure imo. It it was covid19, no guarantees that she's still immune for any new strains. And 3 months after immunity starts to fade back down, which is about now.

Seems like you've been through a lot as a family, sorry to hear. And yes, COVID19 is highly associated with clotting events, the two are tightly related that blood thinners are being given prophetically for in-patients. 

Like you, I also had a sore throat before the madness started, and it didn't feel similar to previous episodes of sore throats. 

LurkerJ said:

Seems like you've been through a lot as a family, sorry to hear. And yes, COVID19 is highly associated with clotting events, the two are tightly related that blood thinners are being given prophetically for in-patients. 

Like you, I also had a sore throat before the madness started, and it didn't feel similar to previous episodes of sore throats. 

Same, that's why I still remember it so well. It wouldn't go away and didn't feel like any other sore throat events (which are usually over in 3 days when i get one) Yet Februari, winter time, flu season, didn't think much of it back then and was only concerned for my wife.

It's funny that THC/CBD is now associated with helping against covid19. I use some daily for sleeping and my wife for chronic pain. Perhaps that staved off the worst if it was covid19. (Not smoking, oil extracts and home baking)

Last night I entered all my wife's symptoms from early Februari in the self assessment tool and didn't need to progress beyond the second page to set alarm bells ringing... Who knows...

SvennoJ said:
John2290 said:

On the issue of darker skinned people being effected more and not because of socio-economic reasons, this old, racist Nazi scumbag has a valid opinion thst is likely closer to reality. 

What a dirty racist, I bet he euthanised as many of his ethnic patients as he could get away with, in his time. Dirty factual nazi.  

46 minute video??? Any summary for people that don't want to listen to an old guy rambling on for the better part of an hour :p

UK seeing same trend as America is, more non-whites are dieing to the virus.
on avg a Black male or female, are over twice as likely to die to covid19 as their "white" counterparts.
(this is even after factoring in socio-econmic reasons, area, work, ect ect)

They show a graph that highlights "likelihood of dieing" where you see black/parki/other/indian/chinese/mixed/white.
And you can basically draw a line, outwards from the races depending on darkness of skin tone.

Basically the darker your skin tone, the more likely to die to covid19 you are.
Thats what data says. Campbell says only reason he can see for that is Vitamin D.

He's saying goverment are afraid to collect such data, or say anything about it, due to being labled as racist.
But again, he says everyone should be takeing Vitamin D.
Hes been called a racist for saying so.  He says hes a doctor, and that if it can save lives he doesnt care.

^ basically the first 10 mins.

He goes over Data for the past days for US, UK, Canada ect.

He mentions the UK did a horrible job of keeping it out of carehomes.
Over 5,117 care homes, had cases of Covid19 (upto may4th).

Also mentions that excess death is still higher than reported covid19 deaths, in the UK.
Actual number is likely higher than what it is counted as of now.

He talks about the symptoms some kids are showing in the USA after getting the virus.
Simular to the ones seen in the UK as well.  Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome.

^ 14mins.

Canada is still seeing increases in cases, at higher rates than rest of the world.
Basically whatever canada is doing to try and stop the spread there, isnt working very well.
While in most other places in the world, shutdowns/lockdowns seem to have slowed growths.
Canada just seems to slowly keep growing.

Germany believe upto 1.8m people "might" have had the virus.
Their testing shows ~169,000.
If its actually already 1.8m, then thats about ~2% of their population.
Thats still a far cry from the 70-80% needed for herd immunity.
This is over 100 days after the first confirmed case. 
Same thing is likely playing out rest of the world. 
Its too early to relax and go "glad this is all past us now" when in reality most places in the world only 2-3% "might" had herd immunity (of some form).

This is still the "start" of the virus outbreak.
The meassure's we ve all taken so far, will likely have to carry on in some form for along time.
Ei. even as you go back to work, you ll still be wearring masks, useing hand sanitisers, keeping distances when shopping ect ect.

The good news is germany re-opened for alot of work places, and hasnt seen a increase in numbers.
This means if society is doing what it should, responsibly, its possible to end lockdowns, as long as your population acts as its should to limit spread.
(basically "how you act" = "how fast things slow down, how fast you can open things up, and what level you can keep opened up")

^ 33mins.

last 12-14mins are just him showing pictures people sent him, of themselves watching his daily updates.
Basically just shoutouts and greetings back to them.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 08 May 2020

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
LurkerJ said:

Same, that's why I still remember it so well. It wouldn't go away and didn't feel like any other sore throat events (which are usually over in 3 days when i get one) Yet Februari, winter time, flu season, didn't think much of it back then and was only concerned for my wife.

It's funny that THC/CBD is now associated with helping against covid19. I use some daily for sleeping and my wife for chronic pain. Perhaps that staved off the worst if it was covid19. (Not smoking, oil extracts and home baking)

Last night I entered all my wife's symptoms from early Februari in the self assessment tool and didn't need to progress beyond the second page to set alarm bells ringing... Who knows...

Funny you would mention CBD.... Just earlier today I was reading more about it and it felt like something I could use to help me sleep better. Did some Googling but I wasn't a fan of the prices. Also it was hard to find a brand that's popular because of quality and not advertising through affliate programs. With that said, I didn't know CBD helps against COVID? Interesting. 

Yes, your wife seems to have had a classic picture of severe corona virus infection. A friend tells me they've been seeing an uptick of unusual pnemonia with low oxygen levels and PEs since early January. Who knows indeed, antibody blood test is your best bet. 

I wonder what long term effects this virus may end up causing, for example, kissing disease virus can increase the likelyhood for malignancies decades after the infection. Not that I am worried or anything, just curious lol

John2290 said:
vivster said:

So you think the left side of the political spectrum doesn't have enough hate towards the right that they need to fabricate stories supported by the Chinese? Dude, the whole world hates Republicans. You really don't need Chinese influence to hate what happens in the US. You just need a brain.

The problem is that the US political spectrum on the right has become so comically stupid and evil that any pointing out of their flaws sounds like Chinese propaganda. The sad truth is though that these days Chinese propaganda contains more truth than anything that comes out of the White House. And that should be the number one concern. Foreign influence couldn't even begin to imagine what kind of crazy stuff is produced by the local governments all on their own.

No, the whole world doesn't hate the right and this has been the case for the latter half of the decade. A cascade of countries have voted in conservatives and "the right". Also, from an outsider looking in, it's the left that are the ones who are evil a mnd use peoples emotions as tools to get thwir own way, the right is indeed stupid but they are honest, hardworking and more reasonable on average. Not even in your own country do people hate republicans cause over half voted one in a few years ogo. You're media, industries and businesses have been infiltrated by China and they have massive influence over them. 

And if you really think that, move to China then or a poor country, you'll learn to cherish what you have in America if you do and no, Japan doesn't count. 

There are so many falsehoods in that small paragraph, I can't believe I say this but I kinda expected better even from you.

But lets first make clear that I am really really glad that I am not an American. I live in a democracy and it's pretty great. I don't have to fear Chinese propaganda or lies because where I live people are held accountable when they spread lies. The right wing isn't the issue, I should know I have lived under a right wing government for almost 15 years now. I also consider myself slightly right leaning. That's why I was talking specifically about the US right, which would be considered in any other country as far right populists. Those people aren't respected anywhere in Europe and frankly basically every other country in the world, no matter their political affiliation, is laughing about the Republican party. A party that pledges its full support to a man who they hate. A man with so little values that it's even eroding the last tiny bit of credibility the party had.

China has absolutely infiltrated the US, but not how you think they did. I'm not even talking about the massive amount of debt that the US owes China. I'm talking about giant US corporations with business in China that they wouldn't want to sacrifice. Giant corporations which are naturally huge fans of the Republican party are under the foot of China because that's where they wanted to be to squeeze out a few more bucks by selling any integrity they might've have left. The influence China has over America is 100% self inflicted, willingly. The US is the main reason China was even able to acquire that much influence. So talking about bad Chinese influence on the US is a bit ironic, considering it's exactly what the US wants.

As for the Chinese influence on media, I highly doubt that China is forcing US officials to spread lies on a daily basis. Lies that are so blatant that you don't even have to be a journalist to uncover them. There probably is some influence somewhere but if anything it's being buried under self inflicted scandals. China couldn't even dream to make the US look as bad as they portrait themselves.

Now I am absolutely not saying that China did a better job with the virus. What China does to their citizens is abhorrent. And that's kinda the point. If you have to compare the treatment of your own population with China you already lost. Pointing fingers at China is not gonna stop people from dying in the US, even if Republicans like to think so.

Last edited by vivster - on 08 May 2020

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

JRPGfan said:
SvennoJ said:

46 minute video??? Any summary for people that don't want to listen to an old guy rambling on for the better part of an hour :p

UK seeing same trend as America is, more non-whites are dieing to the virus.
on avg a Black male or female, are over twice as likely to die to covid19 as their "white" counterparts.
(this is even after factoring in socio-econmic reasons, area, work, ect ect)

They show a graph that highlights "likelihood of dieing" where you see black/parki/other/indian/chinese/mixed/white.
And you can basically draw a line, outwards from the races depending on darkness of skin tone.

Basically the darker your skin tone, the more likely to die to covid19 you are.
Thats what data says. Campbell says only reason he can see for that is Vitamin D.

He's saying goverment are afraid to collect such data, or say anything about it, due to being labled as racist.
But again, he says everyone should be takeing Vitamin D.
Hes been called a racist for saying so.  He says hes a doctor, and that if it can save lives he doesnt care.

^ basically the first 10 mins.

He goes over Data for the past days for US, UK, Canada ect.

He mentions the UK did a horrible job of keeping it out of carehomes.
Over 5,117 care homes, had cases of Covid19 (upto may4th).

Also mentions that excess death is still higher than reported covid19 deaths, in the UK.
Actual number is likely higher than what it is counted as of now.

He talks about the symptoms some kids are showing in the USA after getting the virus.
Simular to the ones seen in the UK as well.  Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome.

^ 14mins.

Canada is still seeing increases in cases, at higher rates than rest of the world.
Basically whatever canada is doing to try and stop the spread there, isnt working very well.
While in most other places in the world, shutdowns/lockdowns seem to have slowed growths.
Canada just seems to slowly keep growing.

Germany believe upto 1.8m people "might" have had the virus.
Their testing shows ~169,000.
If its actually already 1.8m, then thats about ~2% of their population.
Thats still a far cry from the 70-80% needed for herd immunity.
This is over 100 days after the first confirmed case. 
Same thing is likely playing out rest of the world. 
Its too early to relax and go "glad this is all past us now" when in reality most places in the world only 2-3% "might" had herd immunity (of some form).

This is still the "start" of the virus outbreak.
The meassure's we ve all taken so far, will likely have to carry on in some form for along time.
Ei. even as you go back to work, you ll still be wearring masks, useing hand sanitisers, keeping distances when shopping ect ect.

The good news is germany re-opened for alot of work places, and hasnt seen a increase in numbers.
This means if society is doing what it should, responsibly, its possible to end lockdowns, as long as your population acts as its should to limit spread.
(basically "how you act" = "how fast things slow down, how fast you can open things up, and what level you can keep opened up")

^ 33mins.

last 12-14mins are just him showing pictures people sent him, of themselves watching his daily updates.
Basically just shoutouts and greetings back to them.

Read back the last couple pages, I've already addressed multiple other factors at play and a preliminary study over vitamin D deficiency effect with covid19 only turned up a difference of 14% normal vs 17% severe cases with deficiency.

Somalis dying much more than whites in Sweden has so many other reasons than skin color, actually sharing a lot of the same reasons why orthodox Jews are dying much more than others. (60% of deaths in Israel are from orthodox Jews while they represent 12% of the population)

Actually Canada has seen negative growth since April 27th, not a lot, but pretty consistent measured week over week, On May 6th the average was down to 87.6% week over week, slowly dropping further.

Meanwhile Spain and Germany have slowed their decline week over week. Germany was down to 55% week over week on May 3rd, and was back up to 77.1% week over week on May 6th, Spain the same, also 55% on May 3rd, 83.7% May 6th. So still declining week over week, but a slowing decline.

More and more stories are emerging of the virus being around since last year in Europe and the US, brought back from Wuhan from the Olympic military games at the end of October. (First known case in China was traced back to less than 20 days after the games ended) That fits the timelines much better, explaining high results from immunity tests while the spread seems to be slow after testing caught up with the build up mountain of cases. Earliest community case in France has already been traced back to late December.
https://nypost.com/2020/05/05/europes-first-coronavirus-case-was-in-december-scientists/

Young fit people bringing the virus back for it to slowly spread until it reaches enough vulnerable people to become noticeable makes more sense than the supposed accelerated spread in February and March to reach the high numbers we have now. It also fits in with how Sweden is going down despite not doing all that much to contain the virus and how it can take a while to see numbers going down since testing still has plenty cases to pick from to fill the test capacity. And it would explain why the early models were predicting a lot more needed ICU beds than we actually ended up needing. Slower spread than assumed based on early unreliable/incomplete data.

Every time I tried to make sense of anti body tests and wild claims that it must be 10 to 50 to 100 times worse already together with all the later indications of observed doubling rates, it always ended up needing the virus to be around much much earlier than the first detected cases. Now the first community case has been pushed back to December in France, all the puzzle pieces start to slide into place.

Going forward, easing restrictions shouldn't trigger steep resurgence of the spread. Some, but not back to panic mode after a month.

LurkerJ said:

Funny you would mention CBD.... Just earlier today I was reading more about it and it felt like something I could use to help me sleep better. Did some Googling but I wasn't a fan of the prices. Also it was hard to find a brand that's popular because of quality and not advertising through affliate programs. With that said, I didn't know CBD helps against COVID? Interesting. 

Yes, your wife seems to have had a classic picture of severe corona virus infection. A friend tells me they've been seeing an uptick of unusual pnemonia with low oxygen levels and PEs since early January. Who knows indeed, antibody blood test is your best bet. 

I wonder what long term effects this virus may end up causing, for example, kissing disease virus can increase the likelyhood for malignancies decades after the infection. Not that I am worried or anything, just curious lol

CBD could help, it's something that should be examined

https://weedmaps.com/news/2020/04/setting-the-record-straight-about-cbd-and-coronavirus/

But Lee reiterates that there is simply not enough evidence about cannabis and COVID-19 to draw any conclusions. “I think there's enough evidence, given what we know about CBD, cannabis, and THC to suggest medical scientists should explore this [CBD] as a treatment for cytokine storm. To the extent of knowing if that would work, it's pure speculation,” he added.

It can't really hurt though, just be careful if you take blood pressure medicine as it also acts to lower your blood pressure. 

It's also good for anti inflammatory reasons which is what can help combat cytokine storm.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2828614/

So far this is the current research on the subject
https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/southern-alberta-researchers-say-medical-cannabis-could-help-fight-covid-19-1.4906249
And the big downer: The Kovalchuks haven’t tested the effects of smoking cannabis and say you won’t find any of these extracts at your local weed store. "The key thing is not that any cannabis you would pick up at the store will do the trick," says Olga.
Over the past four years, they have tested hundreds of extracts, but only a small percentage have proven effective. Those extracts contain high concentrations of CBD, but very low levels of THC, so users would not experience a "high."

My wife still runs out of breath much sooner than before she that severe pneumonia. She might indeed have (some) permanent lung damage :/ Blueish fingers and lips from lack of oxygen still happens now and then as well :(

SvennoJ said:
LurkerJ said:

My wife still runs out of breath much sooner than before she that severe pneumonia. She might indeed have (some) permanent lung damage :/ Blueish fingers and lips from lack of oxygen still happens now and then as well :(

That sucks to hear.

I have a aunt that smoked and had issues like that, in her case it was circulation.
She got a baloon operation, for the clogged arteries and was given medication.... which fixed it.

Sadly Im not sure theres a easy fix if its the lunges.