By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

Barozi said:

Where is this myth that Sweden is doing better even coming from? It's completely false. Not only is the infection and death rate higher than in comparable countries, the economy is suffering just as much.

It's because certain people listen to alternative "experts" with insanely naive and optimistic predictions, based on limited data and low-accuracy models.

If you listen to what the departments say, what the officials say, what our prime-minister says, you get a picture that's more realistic. For example, when the representative from the Ministry of Health and Social Affairs talked about how almost 30% of people in Stockholm may have been infected by 1 May, he didn't ramble about how Stockholm would reach herd immunity by the the of the month, like the idiot Johan Giesecke did. Instead he stressed that 30% infected meant that 70% of the population still could get infected, and that it by no means meant that we were getting close to "winning" or whatever.

Around the Network
Barozi said:

Where is this myth that Sweden is doing better even coming from? It's completely false. Not only is the infection and death rate higher than in comparable countries, the economy is suffering just as much.

We should wait to see how Sweden compares to other countries in any future waves before dismissing their approach.

They've also hedged against a deadlier mutation killing their kids by immunising some of them.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

LurkerJ said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Well, other than your name/avatar both your speech style and content are very trump like. The over-inflated ego, the use of hyperbole, the arrogance, the simple mistakes. They're all there. It's fair to assume you're just satirising trump, because that's exactly how it looks.

Underlined: Describing a lot of the posts here, including some of mine, in fact, describing a lot of what's been said in the past few months everywhere. Humans oaught to give each the benefit of the doubt in these certain times because most of us are bound to say something incredibly stupid at one point especially that when we didn't have enough data and had to rely on foreign biased reports. 

With said, trumpstyle ought to celebrate because:

Sweden is a model for the new coronavirus normal, says WHO

Not that I trust WHO but it's an increasingly adopted infatuation among experts and doctors from all over the world, so yeah..

That was taken out of context.

Yes, the WHO praised Sweden - as a model on how life could go on after the lockdown. It didn't praise Sweden's handling of things, and both Micheal Ryan (the official from the WHO who praised Sweden) and Dr Tegnell (The epidemiologist behind the plan in Sweden) acknowledged that it didn't work out the way he hoped. Here's the quote:

I think there may be lessons to be learned from our colleagues in Sweden. To me it looks like a lot of the exit strategies that are being discussed look very much like what Sweden is already doing.

Basically, Sweden counts as a model of the new normal after the lockdowns from the Coronavirus, but their handling of the virus proper didn't get, and wasn't worthy of praise.

John2290 said:

Anyone else keep loosing hope and becoming quite nihilistic and then snapping out of it only to have it happen again?

...just me, eh. Fuck.

It's because you need to play Nioh 2.

John2290 said:

Anyone else keep loosing hope and becoming quite nihilistic and then snapping out of it only to have it happen again?

...just me, eh. Fuck.

It's because you never focus on the things that matter, things that are palpable. Stop thinking of nebulous possible future consequences and look around you. More than 90% of the human population is doing absolutely fine and things are getting better every day. I'm gonna start my retirement fund this week, that's how much I trust life to get back to normal.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
forest-spirit said:
Barozi said:

It's because certain people listen to alternative "experts" with insanely naive and optimistic predictions, based on limited data and low-accuracy models.

If you listen to what the departments say, what the officials say, what our prime-minister says, you get a picture that's more realistic. For example, when the representative from the Ministry of Health and Social Affairs talked about how almost 30% of people in Stockholm may have been infected by 1 May, he didn't ramble about how Stockholm would reach herd immunity by the the of the month, like the idiot Johan Giesecke did. Instead he stressed that 30% infected meant that 70% of the population still could get infected, and that it by no means meant that we were getting close to "winning" or whatever.

Didn't they use a completely faulty model for their calculations as well? The blood samples and the simple extrapolation to reach an approximation of how many were potentially infected. The blood sample study was tossed due to its inaccuracy but the authorities and many independent experts cling to the models derived from it. Overall, there's been complete confusion regarding infection rates, capacity for testing, and fatalities since the beginning. Not to mention the contradictive measures and statements made by different layers of state (for instance, while the government pressed for staying at home, the city of Stockholm allowed restaurants and bars to open their outdoor service earlier to draw more customers and patrons). Like almost all matters in Sweden, the discussion has folded in on itself and become more about the rules and regulations of the discussion itself rather than the actual issues at hand, and no one is willing to accept any kind of responsibility or take proper charge. It has become yet another either-or scenario where you stand 100% behind authorities like some USSR PR spokesman, with no dissent allowed, or outright stupidity on the other end where you blame anyone and everyone and demand answers or retribution from where it shouldn't or can't come (for instance, the belief that the head epidemiologist is somehow his own branch of government as a person). It has been a complete disaster, and it keeps going.

John2290 said:
RolStoppable said:

You are the Irish version of CaptainExplosion.

Snip. 

Editing an uncalled for reply. I havn't ate a straight meal today, I need a snickers. 

Man,everyone needs a snickers!

That is my favourite candybar ever and my greatest sin for weightgain,but if i got candy at home i got snickers. :p

This is a fun website.
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm

Go to the "number of Excess Deaths" dashboard and select the outcome "All causes excluding COVID-19". Then have fun.

^btw this data is only up until April 18. Official US deaths on April 18 was 39k.

Last edited by vivster - on 03 May 2020

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:

This is a fun website.

Go to the "number of Excess Deaths" dashboard and select the outcome "All causes excluding COVID-19". Then have fun.

US isnt giveing honest numbers of deaths due to covid19 either (then again alot of countries are doing the same).
Wouldnt be surprised if most of that excess was from covid19.

JRPGfan said:
vivster said:

This is a fun website.

US isnt giveing honest numbers of deaths due to covid19 either (then again alot of countries are doing the same).
Wouldnt be surprised if most of that excess was from covid19.

Where the fuck else would those numbers come from? The actual excess deaths are even higher because most other causes of death are down due to lockdowns.

This data basically shows that by April 18 The US has undercounted COVID Deaths by almost half.