By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

Ashadelo said:

I live in Guangzhou and the city is under quarantine now (started Friday afternoon) and no idea when they will change that.

There are 16 cities under Marshal law. All of China is on an "extended holiday". The outbreak started in 武汉 WuHan which is the center of china. It is 6 hours from 北京 BeiJing, 6 hours from 上海 ShangHai and 6 hours from 广州 Gaungzhou. The virus started to spread right before the Chinese holiday began. Not only that, but there during that time, more than 5 million 武汉人 people form WuHan left 武汉 WuHan. Maybe they left China for Business or vacation, or maybe they started to travel to other provinces throughout China for the Holiday, but they left.

In 广州 GuangZhou, virtually everything is shutdown, with the exception of a few grocery stores. All the school officially now have no set date when they will resume.

Every 小区 like apartment complex type of thingy (not sure how to translate 小区 has guards 保安 that will take your temperature and spray your hands with disinfectant spray. Any type of church,party, business or social gatherings are all banned, any type of nice restaurant, movie theater, coffee shops, malls, are no longer allowed to gather because of potential virus spreading.

Basically its a hardcore ghost town here and has been for works. On the bright side, me and my friends can freely skate down the streets, hahahaha. The only cars I ever see are ambulances (every single day) and an occasional bus or car.

Sounds rough. Stay safe out there.

Around the Network

37592 confirmed cases 814 deaths and 2922 recovered. More people recover than die.

我是广州人

Chicho said:

37592 confirmed cases 814 deaths and 2922 recovered. More people recover than die.

Yeah, how can we expect to end mankind if people start recovering from this flu thing, right?

In any case I can confirm what I said earlier, this Corona virus is blown out of proportions. Comparing it to the last one that hit China in 2002, this one is not as lethal. 10% of those infected 18 years ago died whereas a little above 2% of those infected this time around, die. I don't know why that is? Are humans more resistant or is this strain weaker? Who can say. The point is that out of 100 infected people, only 2 actually die so maybe people should not panic the way they seem to do.

910 dead and 3323 who have recovered now. Seems like there's a ratio of roughly 1:3 between dead and recovery right now.

@CrazyGamer2017 : While it kills less than SARS per infected person, nCoV is much more infectious and thus more dangerous. Also, medicine against SARS probably does help to some degree against nCoV too since they're both similar, while there wasn't really any medicine to take against SARS at the time.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 10 February 2020

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
910 dead and 3323 who have recovered now. Seems like there's a ratio of roughly 1:3 between dead and recovery right now.

Which makes me wonder: What happens to those who don't die but don't recover either? Cause one either dies or recovers from a virus, there is no middle ground here.

CrazyGamer2017 said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Which makes me wonder: What happens to those who don't die but don't recover either? Cause one either dies or recovers from a virus, there is no middle ground here.

I guess that means that tens of thousands are either sick or recovering but not fully there yet. And that alone will put a massive strain into any medical system as that's easily enough to flood several hospitals, and that's not even counting quarantine and isolation measures or the amounts of medicine and medical personnel needed. 

Also, I expanded my post above while you were posting. Just FYI.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 10 February 2020

CrazyGamer2017 said:

What happens to those who don't die but don't recover either? Cause one either dies or recovers from a virus, there is no middle ground here.

I takes time but they will either recover or die.

CrazyGamer2017 said:
Chicho said:

Yeah, how can we expect to end mankind if people start recovering from this flu thing, right?

In any case I can confirm what I said earlier, this Corona virus is blown out of proportions. Comparing it to the last one that hit China in 2002, this one is not as lethal. 10% of those infected 18 years ago died whereas a little above 2% of those infected this time around, die. I don't know why that is? Are humans more resistant or is this strain weaker? Who can say. The point is that out of 100 infected people, only 2 actually die so maybe people should not panic the way they seem to do.

Ah you think 2% is not enough ? Shit always happens to the others, until the day it happens to ourselves or a relative.

Amnesia said:
CrazyGamer2017 said:

Ah you think 2% is not enough ? Shit always happens to the others, until the day it happens to ourselves or a relative.

Hence the advantage of not having relatives (or at least none I care about or see IRL) As for me since I don't see people and avoid as much contact as possible, 80% of my city should be contaminated before I can start wondering whether I am contaminated or not and so far 1 person out of 11 million are contaminated over here, just 1, recently in the news they said 2 other people coming from China could have the virus but after testing them it turns out they have not.

And finally what part of "expect to end mankind" makes you think I would care even if I ended up contaminated?