By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

Didn't know if it was thread worthy for awhile, but I feel its become enough of an issue to warrant one. Anyway, it has become quite serious. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/23/world/asia/china-coronavirus.html

Arrived in UK & Canada.

UK - Coronavirus (COVID-19): Latest Information and Advice

NHS Advice

Canada - Outbreak Updates

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in the U.S.

I'll post updates whenever I can. Could be an even bigger scare than SARS in 2003.

Mod Edit - Coronavirus Resources

The World Health Organization (WHO) - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

Q&A on Coronaviruses (COVID-19)

WHO Advice for Public

Coronavirus (COVID-2019) Situation Reports

CDC - Coronavirus

What You Need To Know

What To Do If You Are Sick

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 06 March 2020

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Around the Network

I'm glad I don't live in a conjested area. That being said, the LORD can take me whenever HE wills to do so.

Dulfite said:
I'm glad I don't live in a conjested area. That being said, the LORD can take me whenever HE wills to do so.

I agree with this.
Too early to be alarmed.

* So far mortality rate is only 3%, according to a quick google search on Corona virus.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 23 January 2020

I have OCD and am terrified of serious illness, so this is exactly the kind of thing that scares me most.

That said, when I think logically, I am not too concerned about this one, yet. Yes, it's naturally frightening when a new disease emerges. But remember SARS back in 2003, when we thought it would scour the globe and kill millions? In the end, less than a thousand people died.

Heck, remember the Swine Flu in 2009? Again, a novel virus emerged, caused some deaths, spread globally, and there was rampant fear of a devastating pandemic, but it turned out to overall be a rather moderate illness.

So far there have been 17 deaths out of 633 confirmed cases, but a lot of those deaths were among the elderly or those with underlying health problems, and it's possible that only the more severe cases are even seeking help and being caught, and that the actual mortality rate is no higher than the regular seasonal flu.

Also, this time the outbreak has been caught earlier than SARS, and quarantines are being put in place.

I'd say there's no call to panic just yet.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 23 January 2020

With a country like China, you can't be too sure of the news that is put out. I am pretty certain the death toll is higher than they are reporting. They closed off cities ffs.

Around the Network

OK. Time to move to Madagascar.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Nope. Fuck China.

More profit is made by the media selling bad news and the pharmaceutical companies making huge profits from the increased sales of vaccines.
The media creates the fear and panic with claims that millions are going to die worldwide as a new deadly outbreak spreads like the plague.

Phoenix20 said:
More profit is made by the media selling bad news and the pharmaceutical companies making huge profits from the increased sales of vaccines.
The media creates the fear and panic with claims that millions are going to die worldwide as a new deadly outbreak spreads like the plague.

Bad news may sell more papers, but vaccines take years to develop, trial, and manufacture, so there won't be one for this in the near future, and no existing vaccine will protect you from a new virus.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 23 January 2020

Who was the dumbass who named a virus after a popular beer???