By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - X360 games on Xbox One performance question

EnricoPallazzo said:
Just one last comment, first thanks for all the help here, you guys are great.
My decision is to jump straight into the One X. Several of the games are enhanced, I will be able to play a lot of games from this generation with a much better performance and after seeing several videos it seems old 360 games on One S they do have better performance but it seems to be marginal. They still suffer from frame rate, just a little less than 360. But on One X they run pretty much locked on 30.
I watched videos for Mass Effect, GTA4 and others and you can see the One S still struggling in some areas, sometimes at 20-25 while the One X was locked at 30. So my summary of One X vs One S would be:
- Locked framerate at 30 or better if the game has unlocked framerate.
- 360 games enhanced for X
- Better loading times
- Able to run this gen games with much better performance including the ones to be released this year
- Able to run games from next generation for a couple of years while the One S will struggle here probably.

So I guess its a no brainer, a little bit more of investment but it is worth it.

Again many thanks for the help!

Keep in mind that many framerate comparisons out there were made shortly after the games were added to the BC program.
MS are frequently releasing patches for BC games to make them run a lot smoother.

Around the Network

It looks like Radet covered most of this pretty well, but to summarize everything:

• Xbox 360 games (on backwards-compat list) run at native resolution on Xbox One/S. This is usually 720p, but can technically be higher/lower.
  • ^ X360 games do receive a nice framerate bump and loading improvements in almost all cases. A game that might have had dips to 25fps on X360 hardware will most likely remain locked to 30fps on Xbox One/S
  • X360 games, on backwards-compat list & enhanced for Xbox One X, get a 3x resolution bump and forced-on 16x anisotropic filtering. That 3x bump from 1280x720 results in 3840x2160/native 4K. The 16x AF helps clean up textures quite a bit.
  • ^^^ On top of that, X360 games enhanced for Xbox One X generally have even more of a performance boost. It's pretty rare to see them drop frames.

Microsoft has already confirmed that all Xbox/Xbox 360 games that run on Xbox One/S/X will continue to run, with further performance boosts, on Xbox Series X coming holiday 2020. Xbox Series X will also run all current and future Xbox One/S/X games, and most likely will run Xbox One/S titles in particular at a higher resolution/performance boost as well (i'm not expecting much though for games already enhanced for Xbox One X).

Above I referred several times to the backwards-compatibility list, here is the link to that: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/backward-compatibility 

That page shows every original Xbox and Xbox 360 game that can run on the Xbox One/S/X, and you can filter it by Xbox On X enhanced titles as well. It's a massive list - 607 titles total now(!!!). Microsoft has done a really, really good job on getting their older system titles running on current-gen (and future-gen) hardware.

Radek said:
EnricoPallazzo said:

Really? all 360 games will be enhanced on the new xbox?

Not all, but most are 4K on Xbox One X and that will translate to the new Xbox, they won't be 720p like OG One.

Only a very tiny amount of OG Xbox and Xbox 360 games are 4k on Xbox One X.

Xbox One Series X will run the "enhanced" games the same as the Xbox One X, except for where dynamic resolution and uncapped framerates were in play, then it will have a slight edge.

Radek said:

Same goes for PS5, PS4 backwards compatible games won't be 1080p like base PS4 but 1440p and 4K checkerboard so for example you will get to play Outer Worlds in 1440p on PS5 not 1080p.

There is no evidence to support such a hypothesis yet.

Mr Puggsly said:

RDR is 4K on X1X. I never really verified if load time are faster on X1 but I would assume they are. X1 BC even improves texture pop in so it clearly is loading data faster.

Load times on Xbox One X are generally reduced across the board when compared to all prior consoles, Xbox One included, the faster CPU clocks and faster mechanical hard drive makes the difference there, faster solid state external storage can help even further.

Texture and object pop-in can be reduced depending on the technology the game engine employs, but it's not a common case.

NextGen_Gamer said:

Above I referred several times to the backwards-compatibility list, here is the link to that: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/backward-compatibility 

That page shows every original Xbox and Xbox 360 game that can run on the Xbox One/S/X, and you can filter it by Xbox On X enhanced titles as well. It's a massive list - 607 titles total now(!!!). Microsoft has done a really, really good job on getting their older system titles running on current-gen (and future-gen) hardware.

Sadly they did abandon their backwards compatibility efforts, I get why... Xbox series X does need the software engineering teams fully focused on the new platform.
But it would have been nice to have seen it continued to be rolled out, especially with more OG Xbox support. - Ironically the Xbox 360 is the better console for playing OG games!

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

All XB1 BC games get Vsync enabled and i believe Anisotropic filtering x16 from what i heard. Other than that, its up to the devs if they improved anything else.

Pemalite said:
Radek said:

Not all, but most are 4K on Xbox One X and that will translate to the new Xbox, they won't be 720p like OG One.

Only a very tiny amount of OG Xbox and Xbox 360 games are 4k on Xbox One X.

Xbox One Series X will run the "enhanced" games the same as the Xbox One X, except for where dynamic resolution and uncapped framerates were in play, then it will have a slight edge.

Radek said:

Same goes for PS5, PS4 backwards compatible games won't be 1080p like base PS4 but 1440p and 4K checkerboard so for example you will get to play Outer Worlds in 1440p on PS5 not 1080p.

There is no evidence to support such a hypothesis yet.

Mr Puggsly said:

RDR is 4K on X1X. I never really verified if load time are faster on X1 but I would assume they are. X1 BC even improves texture pop in so it clearly is loading data faster.

Load times on Xbox One X are generally reduced across the board when compared to all prior consoles, Xbox One included, the faster CPU clocks and faster mechanical hard drive makes the difference there, faster solid state external storage can help even further.

Texture and object pop-in can be reduced depending on the technology the game engine employs, but it's not a common case.

NextGen_Gamer said:

Sadly they did abandon their backwards compatibility efforts, I get why... Xbox series X does need the software engineering teams fully focused on the new platform.
But it would have been nice to have seen it continued to be rolled out, especially with more OG Xbox support. - Ironically the Xbox 360 is the better console for playing OG games!

You are right about that last part - I think what Microsoft might have said is the program is on "pause" right now. And no doubt it's for exactly what you said, that MS needs all of its best engineers working on Xbox Series X UI/compatibility with Xbox One/X360/OG Xbox games.

However, that does give me hope that once Series X is on shelves and everything works good, those same engineers can go back and start working on getting more older titles on newer systems again. I think MS has taken care of a pretty big chunk of the good X360 games, but there are still a lot of OG Xbox games they can do for sure.