By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - X360 games on Xbox One performance question

I don't have much direct experience with BC in XBone. But, my understanding is that most games do see a performance boost. But, no games run at a higher resolution unless they were specifically upgraded to do so, and the ones that were upgraded were only upgraded for XB1X. So, on a low cost X1 you won't get that resolution.

One game from your list that I can comment on directly - RDR. I never played it on 360, so I can't give you a comparison. But, on XBone it did run very well in general. It was one of the few BC games I played, and I recall that I was impressed with how well it ran.

With that said, since MS has said that new games will be XBone compatible for a couple years, and because you want to play Halo games, why not buy and XBX? You'll be able to play all of the Halos in their upgraded glory, and play Infinite. You'll also get the benefit of being able to play the other MS exclusives that you've missed. Even if there aren't that many, when you add that to the great enhanced BC, and the excellent Halo experiences, it's probably worth the $225ish you'd pay for a used X right now.

As a huge Destiny fan myself, I can tell you that Halo games are must-play. They have nothing to do with Destiny, and they're quite different games. But, that excellent Destiny gunplay comes from Halo. If you've never played them, you're missing out. Personally, I own all platforms.  But, Halo tends to keep me as XB first, because I don't ever want to miss playing one.

Around the Network
VAMatt said:

I don't have much direct experience with BC in XBone. But, my understanding is that most games do see a performance boost. But, no games run at a higher resolution unless they were specifically upgraded to do so, and the ones that were upgraded were only upgraded for XB1X. So, on a low cost X1 you won't get that resolution.

One game from your list that I can comment on directly - RDR. I never played it on 360, so I can't give you a comparison. But, on XBone it did run very well in general. It was one of the few BC games I played, and I recall that I was impressed with how well it ran.

With that said, since MS has said that new games will be XBone compatible for a couple years, and because you want to play Halo games, why not buy and XBX? You'll be able to play all of the Halos in their upgraded glory, and play Infinite. You'll also get the benefit of being able to play the other MS exclusives that you've missed. Even if there aren't that many, when you add that to the great enhanced BC, and the excellent Halo experiences, it's probably worth the $225ish you'd pay for a used X right now.

As a huge Destiny fan myself, I can tell you that Halo games are must-play. They have nothing to do with Destiny, and they're quite different games. But, that excellent Destiny gunplay comes from Halo. If you've never played them, you're missing out. Personally, I own all platforms.  But, Halo tends to keep me as XB first, because I don't ever want to miss playing one.

Thanks that was very informative. I believe the X might be the best option since it will allow me to play all those enhanced versions plus everything released from here till next generation with more quality, plus those backlog games and what else microsoft puts out for a couple of years. Only problem is cost since I will definitely pick up the PS5 in December.

EnricoPallazzo said:
VAMatt said:

Thanks that was very informative. I believe the X might be the best option since it will allow me to play all those enhanced versions plus everything released from here till next generation with more quality, plus those backlog games and what else microsoft puts out for a couple of years. Only problem is cost since I will definitely pick up the PS5 in December.

With MS saying they will be crossgen for at least 2 years then you also have a very good quality to play some exclusives in the period. Considering the release of the new machines, perhaps you can find a good deal on X1X.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
EnricoPallazzo said:

With MS saying they will be crossgen for at least 2 years then you also have a very good quality to play some exclusives in the period. Considering the release of the new machines, perhaps you can find a good deal on X1X.

Yes. Im finding some deals for used ones for around £220-250 on ebay, I believe this may be the best option then. 

Also will allow me to play Cyberpunk properly as on ps4 xbone Im almost certain we will have performance issues.

The games will run at their original resolution and framerate that they were designed for which for most games was 720p 30FPS.

However they will reach their framerate target much more often thanks to the increase in power. If a game targeted 60FPS but could only reach 40-45FPS most of the time, it will pretty much run at 60FPS on the One. Sadly dynamic resolution wasn't really a thing during 7th gen. Otherwise we probably could've seen them run at 1080p on the One (or at least on the X).

Speaking about X there are a couple of games that are enhanced for the Xbox One X.

Out of the ones you mentioned, Fallout 3, Portal 2, Red Dead Redemption and Halo 3 are X enhanced. However there's no need to get the 360 version of Halo games when you can just play Halo MCC.

Currently the BC team is working on the Series X but it's pretty much confirmed they will add more 360 (and original Xbox) games once the system has launched, so it's likely we get to see more enhanced 360 games.

Around the Network
EnricoPallazzo said:

- Red dead redemption (pretty bad on Ps3, I just gave up. loading times were horrible.)

- Mafia II (again pretty bad, the screen tearing was unbearable)

- GTA 4 (again very bad... hey maybe its a rockstar on PS3 problem?) Also if Im not wrong the game was on 720p.

- COD World at War

- Mass effect 1 and 2 (played the PS3 collection, 1st one was terrible, 2nd one bugged several times at the same place)

- Portal 1 and 2 (I actually havent tried them on ps3)

- Fallout 3

- Halo Series (as a huge Destiny fan I need to come back to understand where it came from)

RDR is 4K on X1X. I never really verified if load time are faster on X1 but I would assume they are. X1 BC even improves texture pop in so it clearly is loading data faster.

BC removes all screen tearing, which was a big problem on numerous 360 games.

GTAIV is 720p, res upgrade on BC. But its also an unlocked frame rate so the performance can be erratic. Performance is not locked on BC but normally higher and more stable.

CoD games in general are almost locked to 60 fps on BC. I did play CoD WaW a bit just to try it, felt great.

Mass Effect games is going to be best on BC for some performance improvements and less texture pop in.

All the Valve games appear to have 4K support, but I may be wrong. Fallout 3 has 4K support.

If you're gonna play old Halo games then do it via Halo MCC. 60 fps and better resolution.

BC is a great incentive to owning a X1 even if you have other consoles. Really hoping they continue to add OG Xbox and 360 games in the 9th gen.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

EnricoPallazzo said:
DonFerrari said:

Yes. Im finding some deals for used ones for around £220-250 on ebay, I believe this may be the best option then. 

Also will allow me to play Cyberpunk properly as on ps4 xbone Im almost certain we will have performance issues.

Yup better to enjoy the version without issues.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Just one last comment, first thanks for all the help here, you guys are great.
My decision is to jump straight into the One X. Several of the games are enhanced, I will be able to play a lot of games from this generation with a much better performance and after seeing several videos it seems old 360 games on One S they do have better performance but it seems to be marginal. They still suffer from frame rate, just a little less than 360. But on One X they run pretty much locked on 30.
I watched videos for Mass Effect, GTA4 and others and you can see the One S still struggling in some areas, sometimes at 20-25 while the One X was locked at 30. So my summary of One X vs One S would be:
- Locked framerate at 30 or better if the game has unlocked framerate.
- 360 games enhanced for X
- Better loading times
- Able to run this gen games with much better performance including the ones to be released this year
- Able to run games from next generation for a couple of years while the One S will struggle here probably.

So I guess its a no brainer, a little bit more of investment but it is worth it.

Again many thanks for the help!

EnricoPallazzo said:
My decision is to jump straight into the One X. Several of the games are enhanced, I will be able to play a lot of games from this generation with a much better performance and after seeing several videos it seems old 360 games on One S they do have better performance but it seems to be marginal. They still suffer from frame rate, just a little less than 360. But on One X they run pretty much locked on 30.
I watched videos for Mass Effect, GTA4 and others and you can see the One S still struggling in some areas, sometimes at 20-25 while the One X was locked at 30. So my summary of One X vs One S would be:
- Better loading times
- Able to run this gen games with much better performance including the ones to be released this year
- Able to run games from next generation for a couple of years while the One S will struggle here probably.

So I guess its a no brainer, a little bit more of investment but it is worth it.

And for the first couple years of next gen you won't need XSX for the MS exclusives, you may just buy PS5 if you want the exclusives of Sony or just wait out until it makes sense for you to jump over.

EnricoPallazzo said:
- Better loading times

And for the first couple years of next gen you won't need XSX for the MS exclusives, you may just buy PS5 if you want the exclusives of Sony or just wait out until it makes sense for you to jump over.