By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Top 18 New/remade RPGs coming in 2020

Wow this year is stacked with RPG's!

Around the Network
Angelus said:
Nice of you to include Cyberpunk. Outside of that, this looks more like a top 15 JRPG list. Where's Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2? Wasteland 3? Dying Light 2?

Vampie the Masquerade was awesome, and the 2nd game will probably be pretty good too.

I never played the orginal Wasteland, but I tried the 2nd game,.... it couldnt play it more than a few hours, and the quality of it felt so poor, I just gave up on it. The 3rd one, is probably gonna be much like the 2nd, a huge let down.

Dying Light 2? its not very rpg is it? havnt played it tbh. Its a zombie game, from what I remember.

I agree, Vampire Masquerade should be on the list though, it ll probably be one of the better RPGs next year.

*edit:

"Langrisser 1&2" (slot) (old games from ~1990) should be replaced with Vampire Masquerade - 2 imo.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 16 January 2020

wasteland 3? Gears Tactics ?

Could have taken out Cyberpunk and Cris Tales and just call it JRPGs of 2020.

Been tired of the tales games for some time but Tales of Arise is looking as they're trying to catch up with modern RPG's, i'm excited.
Also hyped about Persona 5: Scramble !!!!(trailer reminded me of the great soundtrack)

Around the Network

Im algo gonna get more than half of these. I just hope Y's IX and Tales of Arise do release this year, im very much looking forward to them.

"New" isn't a word that describes most of those.

Hiku said: 
Angelus said:
Nice of you to include Cyberpunk. Outside of that, this looks more like a top 15 JRPG list. Where's Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2? Wasteland 3? Dying Light 2?

Vampires was actually on one of the lists I checked from someone primarily playing on PC. I think I may have mistook the release date for already out on PC, but coming to consoles in 2020. Wasteland and Dying Light weren't though for some reason. But they look like they all should be on there, so I've added them now.
Anything else you feel I've missed?

I got my eye on Empire of Sin

Hiku said:
Mbolibombo said:

Brand new is a weird take with a list that consists of 4 remakes/remasters and an expanded version of an older game :p
If those are the playrules you should definately add Xenoblade Chronicles DE and TMS#Encore over Langrisser and CrisTales.

It's looking like a mighty fine RPG year this year =)

Yeah, I'm open to suggestions for things to add. Maybe I'll reword the OP though. I just wanted it to be short and to the point.
But basically I tried to focus on games there were more than just re-releases with a higher resolution, a new dungeon/character, etc. Partially because there seem to be many of them, and the list already took a few hours to research and compile.

I think it goes without saying that FF7 Remake is primarily a new experience. Even if it's a new take on a familiar concept.
But as some would not consider it new, using only games that have never existed before in any way shape or form was out the window from the start. Or I wouldn't reach even 10 games, and omit one of the most anticipated rpgs of all time.

So since new would be arguable just from FF7's inclusion, and I wanted to get to 10 or 15 games, I included a few that have existed before, as long as they have substantial changes.
While a large portion of P5 Royal supposedly is the same as before, it's said to have a huge amount of new content.
Langrisser I was unsure of though. Partially because I'm unfamiliar with the differences aside from the obvious one. But the obvious ones were that they've re-drawn everything. Same with Mana.

Cris Tales though, I'm probably misinformed about. Did it exist before? I researched all the games before I added them to the list, but from what I could find on Cris Tales, it only existed as a Demo before on PC. And now the full game will be released. Is that not the case? If it's pretty much just a port, then I'll cut it from the list.

Cris Tales is a new game I think, that wasnt why I wanted it replaced by other games :P

It's your thread so your rules ofc, but it doesnt really make any sense to include P5R when excluding TMS and XCDE and I stand by that :P

Blood_Tears said:
Azzanation said:

Pretty sure Nioh 2, FF7R and Cyberpunk are releasing on other platforms and will look better on them too.

The thread title is about 2020 rpgs and PS4 is the only platform that is able to play that game this year. If a person wants to play the majority of these games in 2020 then PS4 being able to get 14 out of 15 is the best platform to get these on. It's factually correct with the thread title so no need for sour grapes. 

Trust me, i dont play many RPGs (outside of WoW) so i dont really care however i said those titles are releasing elsewhere (not just 2020) and will look better which is also factually correct.