By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game of the decade: 2000s (2000-2009)

1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. Everything else

Around the Network

Think I'm going to have to give Twilight Princess the edge over The Wind Waker. I find the game world and atmosphere really absorbing, plus the dungeons and bosses are fantastic. Sailing around, doing side quests and looking for treasure and islands in The Wind Waker is one of my favourite experiences in gaming though.

Shout out to Resident Evil 4, which I have played constantly since release, and Super Mario Galaxy, which is the last game that kept me up til 3am because it had me utterly hooked.

Half Life 2 and Halo Combat Evolved. Tough choice.

Mario Galaxy.

It's a simple matter of fun combined with a sense of wonder. Smash Bros. Melee and Brawl are equal in fun, but they lack that sense of wonder. Oblivion has the wonder, but isn't anywhere near as fun.

Too hard of a choice to make for me.
Kotor, Mass Effect, Dragon age Origins, Demons Souls, Kingdom Hearts 2, Persona 4, Dragon Quest VIII, and Metal Gear Solid 3 all have a huge place in my heart.

Around the Network

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic.

One of the greatest stories in gaming, the best story in Star Wars, supertight gameplay with perfect controls and characterization, memorable locales and characters and more good stuff. They don’t make ‘em like they used to.

So many great titles to just mention one.

Resident Evil 4
Shenmue 1-2
Metroid Prime
Fable II
Super Mario Galaxy
Uncharted 2 ~ Among Thieves
The Legend of Zelda ~ The Wind Waker
The Legend of Zelda ~ Twilight Princess
Dragon Quest VIII ~ Journey of the Cursed King
Final Fantasy XII
Gran Turismo 4

And plenty others that don’t pop to my mind right now...

Now, those aren’t on my list but the most influentials are most likely World of Warcraft, Half Life 2 and Grand Theft Auto III.

Last edited by Hynad - on 16 January 2020

Final Fantasy XI (online mmo) to this day, I still think its the best mmo I've ever played, and love the menu + macro systems.
Its very differnt from most other mmos out there.

I dont think I've ever been as obscesed with a game, or sank as many hours into one either.

Valdney said:
 Wii sports by a lot

I cant even tell if this is sarcasm... or serious.
But I'm kinda hopeing its the first.

Theres like 50 other games atleast, that are a 100 times more likely to be viewed as a "game of the decade" than that.
Its even a much more weird pick than my own FFXI :)

In terms of quality of enjoyment, and how long you played it.
Do you really think Wii Sports is the defineing game, the best thing of the decade?

JRPGfan said:
Valdney said:
 Wii sports by a lot

I cant even tell if this is sarcasm... or serious.
But I'm kinda hopeing its the first.

Theres like 50 other games atleast, that are a 100 times more likely to be viewed as a "game of the decade" than that.
Its even a much more weird pick than my own FFXI :)

In terms of quality of enjoyment, and how long you played it.
Do you really think Wii Sports is the defineing game, the best thing of the decade?

I think it's a fair pick even if it wouldn't be my own; Wii Sports was a cultural phenomenon, and while simplistic (or rather because of it) fantastic fun when played in a social context. There was something magic about playing it with my non-gamer parents and them sharing in the hobby I was so passionate about for the first time.