By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game of the decade: 2000s (2000-2009)

Metroid Prime and Resident Evil 4. Both fantastic evolutions in their respective franchises.

Metroid Prime managed to not only recreate the Metroid feel in 3D but using a first person perspective. The exploration is engrossing, the boss fights are spectacular and it's a pleasure to hunt for new abilities and power ups.

Resident Evil 4 updated a series that was getting stale, just by the intro you knew you were in for quite a ride. Having the villagers hunting you throughout the streets, up the stairs and the rooftops was exhilarating. The game is wonderfully paced, each location not overstaying its welcome, each new area bringing new challenges, the story was camp but enjoyable and Leon kicks ass.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

Resident Evil 4 and Final Fantasy XII to me.

Also, Modern Warfare.

If we're just going by what I think is the best game of the decade, then it's Final Fantasy IX without question. After that comes Valkyria Chronicles, Shadow of the Colossus, MGS3 and Final Fantasy X.

Most influential game is something completely different, and that would probably go to either GTA III, Modern Warfare, or World of Warcraft.

Freedom Force is my personal favorite game of that decade.  I enjoyed the hell out it when I first played it.  It broke the "curse of the superhero game" that people don't even remember anymore, because there have been a ton of great superhero games since.  Most importantly the only other game remotely like it is the sequel, although I think the first game is better.  It's a really fun and amazing, one of a kind game.

If I were to pick most influential that is not necessarily my favorite it would probably be Wii Sports.  Minecraft is also a good contender, but it was released at the end of the decade and grew in popularity gradually, so it is more associated with the current decade.  Wii Sports basically defined the whole decade and generation 7 though.  It caused a major cultural phenomenon and even Sony and Microsoft had their own motion controls after a few years.

If I were to pick a game I really liked and was really popular it would be New Super Mario Bros Wii.  My family played that game for 500+ hours.  It was the first time I experienced multi-player 2D Mario.  And the Wii set a December sales record in the US the month after it was released.  It's such an awesome game in every way.

My personal picks would be Uncharted 2, FFXII and Suikoden V. And to a lesser extent Shadow of the Colossus, DQVIII, Mario Galaxy and The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.
I enjoyed the hell out of each one of them and for me at least they meant much more than some other "influential" games of the time.

Around the Network

I'll go with the most influential games of that decade IMO (no particular order):

- WoW
- GTA III
- Half-life 2
- Sims
- Wii Sports
- Halo
- CoD4

JRPGfan said:
curl-6 said:

I think it's a fair pick even if it wouldn't be my own; Wii Sports was a cultural phenomenon, and while simplistic (or rather because of it) fantastic fun when played in a social context. There was something magic about playing it with my non-gamer parents and them sharing in the hobby I was so passionate about for the first time.

How many hours did you put into it? a game like FFXI Im sure I had like 500+ hours into.
Wii Sports was probably like 4 hours at most, and while it was fun at first it quickly lost its appeal.

It boggles my mind, anyone would pick it for a game of the decate debate.

I'd put wii sporta up there for the reason of removing the anti social reputation gaming had before that, wii sports as flawed as it is made gaming cool

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

GTA3 as it had the biggest impact on the industry.

ZOE2

Last edited by Leynos - on 16 January 2020

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

My Top 5 in no particular order:

Counter Strike
Half Life 2
Elder Scrolls
Animal Crossing
Portal