By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MS: 1st party Xbox games will be cross-gen for "next year, two years"

LudicrousSpeed said:
Well it’s one year before it’s out, so I wouldn’t expect any then.

Personally I don’t care if the games are cross gen, it takes years to really start seeing games taking advantage of a console anyway. Outside of graphics, which can be there day one even if the games are also on Xbone.

Right, there were games at PS4 and X1's launch that showed a big visual disparity. BF4 was crossplat and arguably the most impressive title at launch in scale, visuals and performance.

Between 2013-2015 there were still numerous crossplat games. Forza Horizon 2 and Rise of the Tomb Raider come to mind while still having impressive 8th gen versions. Then you have Switch ports of more impressive 8th gen games.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Radek said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Right, there were games at PS4 and X1's launch that showed a big visual disparity. BF4 was crossplat and arguably the most impressive title at launch in scale, visuals and performance.

Between 2013-2015 there were still numerous crossplat games. Forza Horizon 2 and Rise of the Tomb Raider come to mind while still having impressive 8th gen versions. Then you have Switch ports of more impressive 8th gen games.

Then again Dying Light released in January 2015 was cancelled on last gen and Witcher 3 which was less than 2 years after PS4 came out was never announced for PS3 or 360.

Some games were cancelled and some released.

I feel a big technical reason some ports didn't happen were the RAM limitations of 7th gen specs. That is one of the biggest advantages Switch has over 7th gen specs.

Even if a game is treating X1 as lead in some capacity, you could still have a massive improvements in the Series X versions between 4K, 60 fps, better assets designed for Series X, etc. I think we will see that for Halo Infinite.

Meanwhile games that develop with 9th gen as the lead may require extra work or another team developing the X1 port. Which is common for scaled back ports. Again I will point to a game like Rise of the Tomb Raider which plays about the same, was handled by a different team and massive visual disparity.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

It seems their long-term plans are for Xbox to be a gaming service platform, no matter where you play. I do think this upcoming Xbox will be the last, mid-gen refreshes won't change that.
This doesn't affect me as I don't have an Xbox One, and I have no intention of getting Xbox Series X.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Mr Puggsly said:
eva01beserk said:
To be fair. Ms seems to be aiming at Indy to AA new games aside from the big 3 and maybe hellblade but who knows when that's coming. I see no issue if thats the case.

By big three I think you mean Halo, Gears and Forza?

I don't know what the scale of Hellblade 2 is but it will certainly have AAA visuals.

Outer Worlds is a AAA game, I would expect more of that from Obsidian down the road.

There is evidence a Playground Games open world RPG is happening.

I suspect MS bought numerous studios hoping to make bigger projects with them, but we will wait and see.

A lot of wait and see coming from Xbox fans since the start of the 8th gen. Now we start the 9th in the same track.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Where were these supposed Xbox fans talking wait and see at the start of this gen? Not here. Is this some random Xbox user you follow on Instagram or something? 😆

Also what else is he supposed to say other than let’s wait and see? There aren’t any games confirmed except Halo and Hellblade 🤡

What games will Sony have exclusive for PS5? Idk, well have to wAiT aNd SeE

Around the Network
Wman1996 said:
It seems their long-term plans are for Xbox to be a gaming service platform, no matter where you play. I do think this upcoming Xbox will be the last, mid-gen refreshes won't change that.
This doesn't affect me as I don't have an Xbox One, and I have no intention of getting Xbox Series X.

The problem with your theory is they need a platform to push services. Live only does well on consoles and many gamers only use consoles. Hardware isnt sold at a significant loss either so its less risky business I would assume.

If 9th gen Xbox does at par or better than X1, there would likely be another. 40+ million is a healthy console userbase, especially on a platform that can get ports easily and sells games well in the west.

Lastly, between 1st party software being shared with Windows and Game Pass coming to Windows, there should be increased revenue. Xbox is also something that compliments Windows now and that pleases MS.

If the 9th gen Xbox failed, then your theory would make more sense.

Recently Completed

eva01beserk said:
Mr Puggsly said:

By big three I think you mean Halo, Gears and Forza?

I don't know what the scale of Hellblade 2 is but it will certainly have AAA visuals.

Outer Worlds is a AAA game, I would expect more of that from Obsidian down the road.

There is evidence a Playground Games open world RPG is happening.

I suspect MS bought numerous studios hoping to make bigger projects with them, but we will wait and see.

A lot of wait and see coming from Xbox fans since the start of the 8th gen. Now we start the 9th in the same track.

There were new IPs and more importantly something big happen near the end of the 8th gen, numerous studios being purchased. Some of which that have experience making AAA games.

That and Game Pass became a thing. A service that thrives on new content to gain subscribers.

Hence, we wait and saw things happen.

Recently Completed

So will many 3rd party games.

If this is actually accurate and holds true it would be unusual.

The first 2 years of 1st party XBO:

XBO Exclusive

Forza 5
Killer Instinct
Ryse Son of Rome
Zoo Tycoon
Project Spark
Sunset Overdrive
Halo MCC
Ori and the Blind Forest
State of Decay Year One
Rare Replay
Gears of War Ultimate
Forza 6
Halo 5

360+XBO

Forza Horizon 2

Only one of their games was on both 360 and XBO.

I'm not sure if this is a wise move or not.

twintail said:
It's not an unsound move. Though a lot depends on what Sony has during that timeframe, and whether MS games are going to be held back by older architecture.

Again, 9th gen could be treated as the lead while scaled back ports are developed for X1. Realistically that would only be about six AAA games over two years.

However, I am starting to wonder if this means Lockhart won't happen. The X1 and X1X might stick around for a bit as budget hardware.

If so, it would be a bad idea for MS to release a new console more expensive than PS5.

On a side note I think we are seeing Sony fans actually attacking MS for supporting a console too long. Historically Sony fans did the opposite.

Recently Completed